Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#10026 - 07/02/08 09:37 PM Absinthe
I.C. Graves Offline
stranger

I thought that Xear may have mentioned Absinthe previously but nothing showed up on the "search" function. I'm looking into purchasing a bottle of Absinthe and I'd like to hear what others think about it. Any recommendations?

I happened to stop at the liquor store today and they had their generic Absente, which I assumed would not be the proper way to go. If anyone out there has an opinion on this subject, I would surely like to hear it.

thanks,

Graves.

#10027 - 07/02/08 09:52 PM Re: Absinthe [Re: I.C. Graves]
Mercury_Templar Offline
93 93/93

Loc: Cabarita, Vic, Australia
I like Green Fairy and Dabel on the Czech front and LaFee or Pernod (orig) in the French corner \:\)

G.'.D.'.
VE-GEDULAH
LE-OLAM
AMEN

#10069 - 07/04/08 02:21 PM Re: Absinthe [Re: I.C. Graves]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
I have never tried the stuff myself, but one of the radio shows I regularly listen to used to have an asinthe show. They would drink bottles of it on the air and often had some bigwig supplier on the show to pimp his product. I think most of what you can find in the States is a substitute product. Much the same way the Jack Daniels or Smirnoff line of bottled drinks are just flavored malt beverages. If you like black licorice or Sambuca, you might enjoy absinthe. Also, I have heard that unless you have a real bottle, imported from Europe, there will be no thujone in it. And don't expect to trip the light fantastic. You won't experience monsters coming through walls or visions of importance. Just a different type of drunk. Perhaps this link will help you green fairy

#10085 - 07/05/08 10:36 AM Re: Absinthe [Re: fakepropht]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
You will have to try to import the genuine article from Romania, the Czech Republic or elsewhere outside the EU. The EU, US, and Canada limit the thujone levels to 10mg per liter. In most cases this is considered 'thujone free.' Quebec does allow 15mg/L but the eastern European blends are (for the moment) as close as you can get to the real thing.

The only problem with the Slavic blends is they may lack some of the artistry of, say, a classic French blend. Of course, the taste of wormwood is so bitter that I am pretty sure you would need well developed taste for the stuff to really notice the difference on the palate. I personally do not have enough experience with it to have acquired the taste. However, if you are looking to chase the fairy, that little fucker is found in the Czech stuff! A word of caution, you will need to get drunk on it to get the desired effect. At that point, it may not matter much.

I think the biggest draw of absinthe is the ceremony of the absinthe party - using all of paraphernalia for the specific purpose of imbibing absinthe.

#10086 - 07/05/08 01:04 PM Re: Absinthe [Re: Fist]
I.C. Graves Offline
stranger

Thanks for the information. I've been reading up on the subject to make an informed decision. I've found a few online stores that have absinthe with up to 35mg/L of wormwood (Thujone) and that is what I'm looking for. There are also small bottles of concentrated absinthe, but I can't find any info on the wormwood content of these.

http://www.absinthebuyersguide.com really seems to be the most helpful site.

#10087 - 07/05/08 02:06 PM Re: Absinthe [Re: I.C. Graves]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
Thanks for the link. It seems that new bottlers are reviving old recipes. I am pretty sure they are doing their level best to either skirt the law or scam the consumer. Their thujone levels seem to be sort of a mystery. Some claim 'max' levels which could be little more than maxing the 'thujone free' legal limit of 10%. Others claim 'max wormwood' which gives no indication of the amount of thujone found actually found in the drink. What is at issue is not the quantity of wormwood used on the front end of the distillation process, but rather the amount of thujone actually extracted on the back end of the process.

Please link a few brands that you might recommend. I will personally buy a few of them and send a sample to an analytical lab. I will post the results here.

Of course, thujone is not the whole story here. I think the stuff should be reasonably drinkable if sugar and water are used. In most cases I think anise does help to offset the bitterness.

#10092 - 07/05/08 05:10 PM Re: Absinthe [Re: Fist]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
Years ago, I had my own recipe for making it. It has been so long, I can't find it now. Wormwood is available at any herb store. It seemed like a relatively easy process, or else I wouldn't have been interested in distilling my own. Back in the day, they used pure grain alcohol. That's where the true trouble lies. Drinkers didn't know they were slugging back a glass of 90% straight alcohol, and paid the consequences after a couple. The same results could happen today if you bought a six pack of beer, not knowing it was say 25% alcohol, but oh so tasty. Luckily, most jurisdictions require strict labeling and control over spirits and high octane brews. So if you get anything other than a Budweiser, it will be labeled with the percentage. That was not the case back in absinthe's heyday.

#10123 - 07/07/08 06:29 PM Re: Absinthe [Re: fakepropht]
Mercury_Templar Offline
93 93/93

Hot Off The Press

LaFee Absinthe US Launch Night

"The World’s most iconic absinthe proudly unveiled stateside at an exclusive launch event in the Openhouse gallery, SoHo, NY.

At an exclusive launch event in the expansive white space of the Openhouse gallery in SoHo, New York, brand owner George Rowley and world-renowned absinthe historian Marie-Claude Delahaye played host to over 200 industry professionals including top mixologists and bar-owners from across the nation.

Installations conceived with Saatchi of London and inspired by the works of Toulouse Lautrec, Salvador Dali, Vincent van Gogh and Claude Monet were on display for all to enjoy – as well as a canvass proudly bearing Marie-Claude'’s blessing of La Fée Absinthe Parisienne: This formed a fifth installation involving the ‘traditional serve’ bar itself – presented by 42Below Cocktail World Cup winner Michael Russotti. Bathed in soft green and white light our guests interacted with these works and one another, as their palates were pleasured by a range of drinks which embrace the qualities of La Fée Absinthe Parisienne."

I just received this in my e-mail \:\)

M.'.T.'.
VE-GEDULAH
LE-OLAM
AMEN

#10185 - 07/12/08 04:49 AM Re: Absinthe [Re: I.C. Graves]
delusion Offline
pledge

Loc: hawaii
I just this evening had my first dance with the "green fairy" the results of it I will go into in just a moment.

I have gone through a few bottles of Absente and it was too strong. Not so much in flavor but in alcohol content, 110proof I believe.

Tonight I purchased (at cost) a product we have just begun to carry at the store I work at called St. George distillery absinthe. Same flavor; kind of like a licorice bomb going off in your mouth. I had two glasses and I have to tell you I am totally un-impressed. My final decision on absinthe is that it just is not for me. I'm not really into licorice to begin with so licorice flavored liquor is just not for me. Incidentally, no trippy absinthe high. Couple glasses of wine would do pretty much the same thing at least that is my observation at this point.

Now onto thujone.

In speaking with a sommelier friend of mine I learned that thujone percentages can be affected by the type of spirit that is used in the making of the absinthe. For example, many of the EU brands, while steeped in history, tend to be made from spirits that can be less pure. These impurities, free radicals that can occur during the distillation process tend to bond with the thujone to create a higher percentage. This is however "dirty" and can lead to stronger hangovers and in large enough quantities is poisonous. So while many look for the highest percentage they can find it may not be in their best interest once you understand how that percentage works.

Either way I think absinthe is one of those things where it is best used in moderation. In the same way that some can reap a creative benefit from one hit of weed or find themselves on the floor from a whole joint. That is a similarity that I can see.

So in the end I would say, if asked, save your money.

Delusion

#10310 - 07/20/08 07:29 PM Re: Absinthe [Re: delusion]
Mercury_Templar Offline
93 93/93

I have found any percentage over about 70 pushes the flavour beyond any level of enjoyment. A little like, if a chili is too hot for you, you can't enjoy its subtle flavours. I also like to drink mine – French or Bohemian – in the traditional French manner with sugar and water. I love the flavour. I also love the different form of inebriation I get; drunk body, sharp mind. It's unfortunate that your experiences have been such a let down.

M.'.T.'.
VE-GEDULAH
LE-OLAM
AMEN

#10314 - 07/22/08 04:02 AM Re: Absinthe [Re: Mercury_Templar]
delusion Offline
pledge

Loc: hawaii
Agreed.

The same gentleman that I mentioned in my post had made some of his own once when he was younger. According to him, the stuff had dripped on the table and proceeded to eat away the varnish on the table. Higher Thujone is the desired absinthe but I'm not convinced the after effects are worth it. Also I had heard too that the higher the Thujone percentage and or worm wood included that the more bitter it will be.

MORE BITTER?!?!

I'm sure out there in the world it is available at a cost that is a little easier on the wallet but even then I'm not sure I'd be into it. While the "buzz" is different I don't know that I appreciate the flavor of it enough to justify the price. I can handle the taste, but for that kind of investment you should actually enjoy it rather then just be able to "handle" it. Which is exactly where I am with Absinthe as I have experienced it. Where I work I sell one more comercial absinthe product for about 70 bucks the higher end one for 120 but if you don't enjoy the flavor then you've wasted money on either. For 120 dollars I could buy enough Ayinger celebrator to last me 2 months...binging. In the end I get far more satisfaction because I love the product. Talk about a magical elixer!

Was beer to abstract? Feel free to insert your favorite tequila instead. The argument works as well I think.

cheers!

Delusion

#10344 - 07/25/08 02:09 PM Re: Absinthe [Re: delusion]
I.C. Graves Offline
stranger

Well, it looks like I'll have to put this experience on hold again. I thought that I would be able to afford something decent since going back to work, but I ended up quitting. 12 hours a day in a sweatshop just doesn't work for me.
#11259 - 09/07/08 12:09 PM Re: Absinthe [Re: I.C. Graves]
Ringmaster Offline

Loc: Salem Oregon
Thx for the link. I'm going to have to try this when I come back stateside for leave sounds interesting but expensive, I guess if you want quality you gotta pay for it.

#11281 - 09/08/08 08:19 AM Re: Absinthe [Re: Ringmaster]
Ringmaster Offline

Loc: Salem Oregon
Okay I decided what the hell is $289 of my life and got 2 bottles I guess I'll find out if it was worth it in a month.

#11286 - 09/08/08 10:23 AM Re: Absinthe [Re: Ringmaster]
Cody Offline
pledge

Sambuca seems a much better drink according to my palette but don't serve it to me flaming, you are just burning the precious alcohol off of it in my mind. As for absinthe, I'd say it has more bark than bite but all seem to have the same general taste and overall effect.
Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, Woland, Asmedious, Fist, Diavolo, TV is God 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.