Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#13108 - 10/21/08 02:09 PM Re: Absinthe [Re: Cody]
Marilyn Offline
stranger

i am not a big fan of the stuff,
but i have a friend who knows someone who tend to business between Germany and the Czech Republic.
He tends to bring over the stuff labeled Black Absinthe 80%

but i am not a big fan of it.

i will stick with drinking cognac or Glenmorangie whiskey =D

HS!

#13109 - 10/21/08 02:10 PM Re: Absinthe [Re: Marilyn]
Marilyn Offline
stranger

i managed to find a pic of the stuff they get.

80% / 160 pr.

HS!

#13341 - 10/23/08 11:42 AM Re: Absinthe [Re: Ringmaster]
Ringmaster Offline

Loc: Salem Oregon
 Originally Posted By: ringmaster
Okay I decided what the hell is $289 of my life and got 2 bottles I guess I'll find out if it was worth it in a month.

Well, now that I had the opportunity to try it... Decent enjoyed it but pricey however what isn't nowadays.

#18804 - 01/24/09 10:36 PM Re: Absinthe [Re: Cody]
annieoracle Offline
stranger

Loc: co. waterford, ireland
the best way to drink the absinthe is to put a sugar cube on the neck of the bottle and sip it through the sugar cube! it softens the sharp taste and really works a treat! i dont see the point setting good shit like absenthe on fire it takes from it not as good a drunk from it! dont set the shit on fire! \:\) im irish! trust me

#18910 - 01/25/09 02:47 PM Re: Absinthe [Re: annieoracle]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

I have always preferred the traditional way of drinking absinthe. I've never noticed any difference between setting on fire or not aside from the taste. I went to a restaraunt a few months back for my sisters birthday and was surprised to see absinthe on the drink menu. It wasn't bad, but still not as good as the real stuff. Oddly enough I hate black licorice but love the taste of absinthe and Jagermeister. I know that black licorice and absinthe get their distinct flavor from anise, but I am not sure about Jager.

#19249 - 01/28/09 11:54 PM Re: Absinthe [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Linaka113 Offline

Loc: East Bay 510 CA
MMMM that picture looks very tasty. I enjoy drinking absinthe. On my birthday I made a glass for my friend she converted right away. I love the way it makes me feel so relaxed and cleansed at the sametime very dreamy ineed.

#19806 - 02/06/09 06:58 PM Re: Absinthe [Re: Linaka113]
joseph oreilly Offline
Incomprehensible--Banned
pledge

Boil it and drink it, i've heard it's better than inhaling petrol.
#19819 - 02/06/09 07:54 PM Re: Absinthe [Re: joseph oreilly]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

You are an idiot. Boiling alcohol before you drink it is counter productive if you are trying to catch a buzz.

If you like inhaling petrol, you would absolutely LOVE drinking bleach. Seriously Joseph, give it a try; grab a bottle of Clorox and see just how fast you can down the entire container. Wow, what a rush.......

#21001 - 02/22/09 08:42 AM Re: Absinthe [Re: I.C. Graves]
Enslaved Offline
stranger

Loc: KCMO
Even though the legal Absente they sell here in the states only has the southern wormwood, I still enjoyed the process of drinking it, and the buzz as well. It was worth the try. It definetly was a different kind of drunk. I would describe it as a more active drunk. What Im curious about is this;

If you drink a large amount of the stateside stuff will it have the same effects as the real deal?

Even if it did Im not going to attempt it;(my tripping days are over) Just curious.

#21067 - 02/23/09 11:25 PM Re: Absinthe [Re: Enslaved]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
Just a little history lesson for you guys. Thujone, from wormwood, is not some magic mushroom extract. It will not make you lop off ears or go on some trip. It is not related to THC. The levels in todays mix are not near what they were in the "good old days". But even in the good old days, they were not that high. High doses of thujone have been shown to produce muscle spasms and convulsions. Far higher than what you would find in today's or yesterday's absinthe. In the good old days, absinthe was distilled from pure grain alcohol. Meaning it was almost pure alcohol. Wormwood, and other herbs, were added to the mix to make it taste good. Knock back a few glasses of 100% alcohol and tell me you won't hallucinate, lop off ears, and see Jesus. Absinthe is mearly a legend larger than life. You are not getting some secret magic elixir. You are not tripping. You are getting drunk and living the legend that you have built up in your mind. Save your money, get a good bottle of vodka, and a mixology book.

#24269 - 05/07/09 09:05 PM Re: Absinthe [Re: fakepropht]
Sharschosen Offline
stranger

Most of the hype about Absinthe was propaganda perpetrated by the winemakers because it was costing them money.

#24447 - 05/11/09 12:03 PM Re: Absinthe [Re: Sharschosen]
Saligia Offline
stranger

Loc: Manchester, England
I've only ever had absinthe once when a friend of mine brought back several bottles after he'd been on holiday (can't remember where he went I'm afraid). The taste wasn't terrific, I'm not a big lover of aniseed and absinthe has quite a strong aniseed flavour even when sipped through a sugar lump. As for the effects of it... It got me drunk enough to not remember anything that happened over the course of the night and I ended up waking up on a bench somewhere in Manchester. Amazingly I hadn't been robbed, shot, arrested or spat on (which, if they had happened, would have most likely occurred in that order).

I agree with fakepropht, there are far better ways to leave yourself completely vulnerable in the middle of the night.

#25030 - 05/27/09 09:53 AM Re: Absinthe [Re: Saligia]
ELTOURER Offline
stranger

Loc: California
Iíve never tried Absinthe (I really donít feel like kickiní down $70 just to try something for the first time), but Iíve always been curious about it. I am especially fascinated by the ritual involved in setting up the drink. The water fountain, sugar spoon, the dripping process, stirring. I like regiments like that. Itís sort of old world romantic.

So, to you Absinthe vets/lovers out there, my questions is this:

Iíve read about the taste and the buzz (so with the Black Absinthe 80 do you chase the Black Fairy?) in this forum, but what about the consistency?

From the looks of the product, after the water is poured over the sugar and into the glass, it would appear to be quite Ďthickí, for lack of a better word, and chalky.

Is Absinthe smooth and creamy as it goes down, like, say, coffee, is it no different than say any other alcoholic beverage, or is it thick like watered down syrup with a chalky after effect?

Edited by ELTOURER (05/27/09 09:55 AM)

#25679 - 06/15/09 09:22 PM Re: Absinthe [Re: Cody]
Azza Offline
stranger

Loc: New Zealand
i think i enjoy the ritual of it more enjoyable that the actual drink its self. that maybe the fact that i haven't had the real deal from Czech.
#25683 - 06/15/09 10:00 PM Re: Absinthe [Re: Azza]
I.C. Graves Offline
stranger

Wow, I almost forgot all about this topic. I did end up trying some Absinthe at a Halloween party last year. It probably wasn't the best atmosphere to do so but the host had a bottle and I had been talking about it for a while. I can't remember what brand it was.

I was disappointed to learn that he did not have the proper utensils or perform the ritual involved. He just kind of dumped it in a glass and stirred in some sugar with a spoon.

By the time I tried it, I had already drank a few bottles of beer and smoked at least 1 lefty and was feeling pretty good. After I started to drink the Absinthe, I did notice a difference in my buzz. I become quite mellow and relaxed while I enjoyed the stiff drink. Nothing exciting happened but I did feel as though this would be better appreciated in a dark, mellow atmosphere as opposed to a loud party. I can see how it would be conducive to a creative state of mind.

I would consider this to be along the lines of Salvia or 'shrooms in the way that it would be a nice experience once in a while. Something out of the ordinary.

Not sure if I want to pay big bucks for a bottle though.

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, Woland, Asmedious, Fist, Diavolo, TV is God 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.