Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#25777 - 06/19/09 10:49 AM Re: Absinthe [Re: I.C. Graves]
Atralux Lucis Offline
pledge

Loc: Australia
I dont think anyone has mentioned the actual absinthe ceremony thingo.
Put a bit of absinthe (usually green) in a goblet
Place a holed spade over the top (decorative spade trowel thing with graty holes)
Place a sugar cubeon the top.
Pour icy water over the cube until dissolved into the absinthe.

I havent tried it but thats what I saw on wiki, and some weirdo french guy on youtube, and it seems the most traditional way of drinking it.

Edited by Atralux Lucis (06/19/09 10:49 AM)

#25823 - 06/20/09 09:16 AM Re: Absinthe [Re: Atralux Lucis]
TornadoCreator Offline

Loc: No Fixed Address
I've tried absinthe with the sugar and water, it's OK but honestly, if you get one that's not paint thinner I prefer to drink it straight. La Fée is a really nice one, but to be honest, it tastes lack-lustre when you add sugar and water.

Avoid the high alcohol percentage absinthe. The best absinthe is about 40-50%. The active ingredients are the anise and the wormwood. No-one wants to drink pure alcohol, it doesn't taste nice.

#32020 - 11/20/09 09:28 PM Re: Absinthe [Re: Cody]
Sceevin Offline
stranger

Loc: Washington
Eabsinthe.com has a decent selection. Absente is not absinthe, wrong type of wormwood. It only taste similar due to added synthetics. I reccomend avoiding the brand lucuid. Very low quality. Also the brand sold as 'red absinthe' is bad bad. Though there are a few good absinthes that are red. La fee is in my opinion the best commercial brand. Though the absolute bests are usually limited runs by small stills in northern France. You occasionaly see those online.

#32055 - 11/21/09 12:08 PM Re: Absinthe [Re: Sceevin]
Room 101 Offline

Loc: Scotland
I tried the real stuff in Prague, wormwood and all.

I have to be honest and say that I thought it was vile. Just the taste...it’s makes me what to dry heave.

My girlfriend on the other hand thinks it’s the best thing since vibrating cock rings.

#32093 - 11/22/09 02:25 AM Re: Absinthe [Re: Room 101]
Sceevin Offline
stranger

The ritual is very Important. If the absinthe was made properly, then it should trun white gradually as you do this (louche sp?). You put one ounce of absinthe in the glass, then add a cube of sugar onto a slotted spoon. Slow drip ice water over the cube and down into the glass. You should add aprox three ounces of ice water while avoiding getting ice into the glass.
There is also the 'bohemian' way. This should only be do e with cheap absinthe. Could be a way to make absente drinkable. Though, it is my opinion that absonte should be avoided like the plague. You add the ounce of absinthe to the glass. Then you put a cube of sugar onto a normal spoon. Add a bit of absinthe onto the cube. Light it with a wooden match. When the exterior of the cube has carmalized put the spoon into the absinthe. The drink should light on fire. Now dump three ounces of ice water onto it to kill the flame. Stir, then drink. Try this once, you should. It's not great, but not bad. And it is not historical. Though some movies would like you to believe that it is.
Also, check out the wormwood society

#32097 - 11/22/09 08:14 AM Re: Absinthe [Re: Sceevin]
Room 101 Offline

Loc: Scotland
I’ll take this under advisement form the g/f. She’s pretty into this stuff. Thanks for the info, ill bring it up at our next “meeting”. \:\)

#32676 - 12/08/09 07:15 PM Re: Absinthe [Re: Room 101]
Radio Werewolf Offline
stranger

I used to drink hella fairy.... a fairyholic I once was, so I know what I'm drinkin'
I've been looking through an older journal and found this #
I ordered from Absinthe X ZELE awhile back and it was the truest stuff you could pretty much get ahold of in the states, unless you made it yourself. it's 75.5% & Wormwood toll free 1-800-873-9181

yea, not the toned kind, more alcohol if you can handle it, this is the kind I prefer over others....
to each his own

I think their website is artbyabsinthe.com

hope this helps...

Shemhamforash!

Edited by Radio Werewolf (12/08/09 07:18 PM)

#32759 - 12/10/09 06:10 PM Re: Absinthe [Re: Radio Werewolf]
Choronzon333 Offline
stranger

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I had my first taste of Absinthe when I was in Canada. I enjoyed the way it tasted, but was disappointed that I did not see green fairys.

Seriously though, it is like most other alcoholic drinks for me, and I wonder what the big deal is, or even why they have a ban placed on it in the US where you cannot purchase the actual Absinthe.

#35035 - 02/02/10 04:52 PM Re: Absinthe [Re: Choronzon333]
Sceevin Offline
stranger

As a note, there does exist absinthe which will make you hallucinate. I found a french recipe awhile back that, among the usual ingredients, called for Amanita Muscaria in the second maceration stage of production.
I wrote it down in still book to try. i can post it if anyone here wants to make their own.

I shall seek out the website again, see if i can post a link here.

And the ban on real absinthe was lifted a few years back. Its hard to comeby, except online, but its not illegal to buy or sell.

#39733 - 07/01/10 12:04 PM Re: Absinthe [Re: Cody]
NeoZombie Offline
pledge

Loc: Minnesota, USA
All you need to do to get the "good" stuff is to go down to your local head shop and pick up an ounce of wormwood'illegal in some states'(like mine with Devil's Shoestring).

*Get a small glass pot with a cup of as clean of water you can get and start it to boil.
*Take 1/4th once Wormwood(and the Shoestring for taste if desired) and add it to the water already heating on stove.
*Boil it until it is almost a think green envy color.
*Strain out the wormwood and let cool.

After you have made your wormwood tea choose your poison(favorite spirits) and mix to taste adding a lot of sugar.

My friends call it "Snake Juice"

*Do Not Drink too much it can kill in high does.*

ENJOY THE CONVERSATION!

#59022 - 09/10/11 09:13 AM Re: Absinthe [Re: NeoZombie]
Ses Offline
stranger

Loc: Bucks, England
I've tried what we called Assinthe in the UK which was around 70% if I remember which I brought from Asda (Walmart) for around £20. The taste was masked by too much Aniseed in my opinion the burn was bearable though.

From what I've seen on a film (Catacombs) They had absinthe in a block which they heat on a teaspoon and then stirred into a goblet.

Would this of been Absinthe or just Green Heroin?

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, Woland, Asmedious, Fist, Diavolo, TV is God 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.023 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 24 queries. Zlib compression disabled.