Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#10063 - 07/03/08 10:42 PM Yet another reason to hate YouTube...
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
A lawsuit is ordering YouTube/Google to hand over its logs of viewers and members to Viacom, citing "that they needed the data to show whether their copyright-protected videos are more heavily watched than amateur clips." Bullshit, I say.

Read full article here.

Yet another reason to surf the web anonymously behind a proxy. A list of sites to use as your proxy can be found here.

#10066 - 07/04/08 10:02 AM Re: Yet another reason to hate YouTube... [Re: Nemesis]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
Traditional media is going broke because user created content is often better than the crap put out by the 'professionals', and, the market is telling us that traditional content is overpriced in general. Viacom and all of the RIAA types are just looking payday.

Napster, YouTube, and Google are/were great freeware tools as long as they remain and act as freeware. Where they get in trouble is when they start/started acting like a business and started competing in the market with traditional media. Google would do well to simply deleted or not collect data on it's users. However, much of their BUSINESS model requires them to collect marketing data to remain OUTRAGEOUSLY profitable. If Google continues to collect marketing data in the way they have been, they will continue to get sued and subpoenaed from all quarters - govt, corporate, and private.

In time, Google will go the way of Napster. It may remain a business but it will no longer be everyone's premier web tool. It will be replace by the tool developed by the next smart guy who more interested in purity information that is part and parcel to the 'wild west' feel of the web.

As an aside, I would recommend that anyone who is interested in web commerce google "The Economics of Free." There are several articles and papers on this subject. The Economics of Free IS the business model for information technology and anyone who refuses to accept this is doing so at their own peril.

If Google dies, it will be their own fault.

#10696 - 08/15/08 11:19 PM Re: Yet another reason to hate YouTube... [Re: Fist]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
I agree. It's bullshit.

But then again, as long as the net is unbound, there will always be a new quasi-legal frontier of freedom for the internet to grow through.

"Traditional media" will eventually be severely lowered in price. Music is a prime example. Thanks to technology, it's not that expensive to record music, and mass-producing it is even cheaper. Underground bands are different, but as far as major labels go, per unit, a typical CD barely costs a dollar. Yet they're trying to get away with charging up to 25 bucks a fix. Keeee-reist.

#10714 - 08/16/08 05:19 PM Re: Yet another reason to hate YouTube... [Re: The Zebu]
harrison Offline
pledge

Loc: winnipeg Mb, canada
I also think that is bullshit ,just bullshit. but then again, who really buys cd's??? i am in a band and yes, mass production of records is very cheap but then again my band does not make much moneys due to the fact were a gypsy band.

#10722 - 08/17/08 12:47 AM Re: Yet another reason to hate YouTube... [Re: harrison]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
 Quote:
the fact were a gypsy band.

You mean you play Gypsy music? (I love that stuff), or do you mean "Gypsy band" in a different definition?

#10901 - 08/22/08 07:08 PM Re: Yet another reason to hate YouTube... [Re: Asmedious]
harrison Offline
pledge

Loc: winnipeg Mb, canada
dude we are totally a gypsy band cuz were playing gypsy music and always on the road.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.019 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 19 queries. Zlib compression disabled.