Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#10323 - 07/22/08 10:00 PM On Satanic Magic: The Destruction Ritual
Xande Offline
stranger

Loc: Arlington, TX, USA

Satanic Magic is said to be predicated upon five tenets, in keeping with the pentagonal theme:

Desire, which is defined as motivation, temptation, or emotional persuasion. It is necessary to have a legitimate desire in order to take steps towards obtaining the object of it.

Timing, which is mentioned to provide a generalized framework for results. It's elegant in its simplicity: A target at rest is the most receptive, whereas a target in motion is the least receptive.

Imagery, which is to say the would-be practitioner should be surrounded with images, scents, sounds, and textures that promote a healthy generation of emotion to then be employed towards the desired end. If our desired result is the destination, and desire is our car, then the emotion supplied by imagery is unquestionably our fuel.

Direction, which suggests the whole of generated emotional response required for a successful working be exhausted within the confines of the ritual chamber, as any subsequent emotive response (typically by means of obsessive reflection) spent afterwards dilutes the potency of the original working by means of confliction.

The Balance Factor, which could be interpreted as honestly accessing one's limitations and strengths, and tailoring desired results around this basic structure. LaVey summed up the Balance Factor thusly: "Magic is like nature itself, and success in magic requires working in harmony with nature, not against it."

My point of inquiry rests here, at the hands of the Balance Factor. If it is admitted that Balance is an extremely important part of our ritualistic equation, why is balance considered much less a factor when applied to the Destruction Ritual?

"The Balance Factor is an ingredient employed within the practice of ritual magic which applies to the casting of lust and compassion rituals more than in the throwing of a curse" - The Satanic Bible, page 73

Is it a bit presumptuous to assume that by performing a Destruction Ritual on anyone who, say, cut you off on the freeway, or was guilty of a similar grievance, that physical death is a just and deserved proposition? The idea of balance is ignored in favor of extreme gratification - it's almost like engineering a citywide flood to free your yard of an ant infestation.

This point of extreme retribution is also mirrored in this statement:

"Give blow for blow, scorn for scorn, doom for doom - with compound interest liberally added thereunto! Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, aye four-fold, a hundred fold!" - The Satanic Bible, page 17

This statement when placed in a ritualistic context yields the Destruction Ritual. Admittedly, from the vantage point of psychotherapy, I can not think of a better way to rid one's self of negative sentiments that could potentially do great harm to the individual who harbors them. From a magical standpoint, this practice seems to piss in the very face of true justice, staining the principles of Lex Talionis with a rather lewd shade of yellow.

That being properly iterated, my ultimate questions are thus:

Is the Destruction Ritual appropriate for all situations in which the Satanist feels he or she has been wronged?

If not, what situations could be definable as worthy of the Destruction Ritual?

Once deemed worthy, and to avoid possible ramifications in terms of guilt, is a single instance of this behavior from an otherwise benevolent individual still sufficient grounds for ritual, or does the Destruction Ritual lend itself more towards habitual perpetrators of this behavior?

I wholeheartedly welcome your comments and eagerly await your answers.

#10332 - 07/23/08 07:11 AM Re: On Satanic Magic: The Destruction Ritual [Re: Xande]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
What qualifies as grounds for destruction of someone differs, of course, according to the individual.

Pertaining to myself, this ritual would only be performed if someone caused me a great loss, whether it be my career, a friendship, a pet, a treasured possession, etc. They would have to have done it willingly, knowing full well how I felt about said object/person. Only then do I feel retribution would be justified. What I would destroy of theirs I would attempt to do "eye for an eye", ie: Something of theirs that has equal importance to them as what they ruined for me once did. I would not take out my anger on an innocent, such as a child or a pet, or someone close to the individual I am about to ruin that has no knowledge of the true situation.

Accidents and innocent mistakes would not qualify. Sometimes shit just happens.

#10334 - 07/23/08 02:39 PM Re: On Satanic Magic: The Destruction Ritual [Re: Xande]
delusion Offline
pledge

Loc: hawaii
When asked many Laveyan Satanists will confess that the destruction ritual has more to do with healing ones self then actually causing harm to someone else. This psychodrama as I'm sure you know, is played out to convince the subconscious mind that the threat has been eliminated allowing the practitioner to go about their way, to move on.

I believe that if your skin is thick enough one may never need to throw a curse at anyone. I believe that if a person is motivated enough to "get back up on the horse" one would never need to throw a curse. The "curse" is thrown most often when someone has gotten under your skin or bested you in such a way that the memory and emotion of it weighs too heavily for the practitioner to function.

This state of being again brings me back to being thick skinned. Please take the time to make the distinction between thick skin and a thick skull. ;\)

Bear in mind that I am speaking of my own very atheistic view with regards to Satanic ritual and what I see as a design that is intended, almost strictly, to make the practitioner feel better about any current stumbling blocks freeing their mind to move on to the next hurdle.

Quote:
"Give blow for blow, scorn for scorn, doom for doom - with compound interest liberally added thereunto! Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, aye four-fold, a hundred fold!" - The Satanic Bible, page 17

Remember that this quote comes from the "might is right" section of TSB. This is the ode to boldness section of the book; a sledge hammer to break the ice. It pertains mostly to our daily actions and mindset. Reminding us that we are to be as the mighty lion when out in the cruel world. Should some one decide to enter into combat with you physically or otherwise it is more "Satanic" to make sure that they do not walk away but that they limp.

You can buy into this mindset if you like. I personally don't think that it works for every situation. For example I often use the mosquito as a comparison for this. Yes it is true a Lion will kill and possibly even eat you. However, do not forget the mighty mosquito that sneaks in when you aren't paying attention, feeds of you and leaves a little malaria for their prey to "ruminate over".

Here is one of my favorite Lavey quotes.

Quote:
One of the keys to success is an unflinching belief that there are no rules. Anyone who's ever succeeded has gone on that premise; not buying established procedures, business or otherwise. The naysayers are inevitably left behind amid shouts of 'it cannot be done' and "should not be done'."-Anton LaVey High Priest of the Church of Satan

You're doing well by dissecting that book. Like with everything else take what works for you and leave the rest behind.

Thanks

Delusion

#10335 - 07/23/08 06:37 PM Re: On Satanic Magic: The Destruction Ritual [Re: delusion]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
"My point of inquiry rests here, at the hands of the Balance Factor. If it is admitted that Balance is an extremely important part of our ritualistic equation, why is balance considered much less a factor when applied to the Destruction Ritual?"

Depending on how you do a successful destruction ritual, it will have a balance factor...
Dont ask me to tell you how to make it successful, or how I have used it.

"Is the Destruction Ritual appropriate for all situations in which the Satanist feels he or she has been wronged? If not, what situations could be definable as worthy of the Destruction Ritual?"

That is up to you. It is your personal opinion in regards to your ego. As others have said, if it was an accident, or just something stupid, and not worth the trouble, do something else to make them "limp" away.

If you feel unsure, or guilty as you put it, then dont do such a rite.

Nice post....

Morgan

#10336 - 07/23/08 09:22 PM Re: On Satanic Magic: The Destruction Ritual [Re: delusion]
Xande Offline
stranger

Loc: Arlington, TX, USA
First of all, allow me to give a sincere bout of gratitude for what I consider to be an outstanding and well thought-out answer to my previous inquiry.

My mindset as I made my original post was heavily influenced by the laughable amount of Satanists who behave as if by grace of that title alone they're somehow supposed to assume the mentality of a bully, and go forth with little more than token elitism and lack of manners into a world that somehow owes them something.

Based on various personal conversations I've had with a few of these individuals, the Destruction Ritual was implemented for what I consider to be trivial reasons, owing more to a less than serviceable ego than a legitimate wrong. This is a shining example of the lack of true justice that seems to be pervading our society, Christian and Satanist alike.

After a bit of rumination, it seemed a bit odd that the Destruction Ritual paid no heed to balance, which based upon the strict requirements of the other two "major" rituals made it seem as if it lacked a bit in substance, insofar as legitimate magical fabric was concerned.

Since you highlighted an undertone in my previous post, I'll concede the point: From a point of basic analysis, the Destruction Ritual in actual application is far more psychodrama than a magical means to harm. Perhaps the misuse of such a ritual was an obvious conclusion, and proved so glaring the wording was left with an intentional vagueness, thereby ensuring results to only the most desirous of practitioners?

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.019 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 18 queries. Zlib compression disabled.