Page 1 of 10 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#103677 - 11/01/15 06:02 AM The Greater Church of Lucifer
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Loc: Virginia
held its first service folding chairs instead of pews.

The Halloween Debut was a snatch and grab for the press.

Quote:
The church itself is an unassuming white frame building, furnished with theater-style seating and adorned with Luciferian symbols denoting the balance between light and darkness, freedom from superstition and the apotheosis of the individual.

Not a bad showing of protesters for 20 people. Nothing to fear, bake sales forthcoming.

News Fix has a bit more video.

Business owners are complaining that the opening has caused them to lose business, vendors have canceled orders and they intend to file a formal complaint.

Stand aside used book store, there's a new devil in town. Michael W. Ford now has a visible home base to hock books and kisch.

#103679 - 11/01/15 10:25 AM Re: The Greater Church of Lucifer [Re: SIN3]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
This one passed under my radar... I'm impressed both that someone from the Satanic scene finally got a "brick and mortar" church up, in Texas no less. Also that Mr. Ford can now apparently afford a graphic designer. I'm curious as to how long this one will last and whether a "church" model can really work for his LaVey/Grant mashup. At least it wasn't in a strip mall.

In any case I hope he'll give us a few more fun headlines in the future.

#103689 - 11/02/15 09:41 AM Re: The Greater Church of Lucifer [Re: The Zebu]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Meetings like this one are the common fare.

Ford and Jacob No appear to have found a flock in Houston. Other videos have this whole Time to save the world! sort of message.

I don't think the building has seen its last attempt at vandalism. If we do see future news reports, it will most likely be outcry about their freedom of religion and stuff like that.

#103696 - 11/02/15 10:25 PM Re: The Greater Church of Lucifer [Re: SIN3]
CanisMachina42 Offline

Loc: Ca
 Quote:
it will most likely be outcry about their freedom of religion and stuff like that.

Oh, everyone bitches when they think their right to assemble is infringed upon, I don't know where they would get such ideas. It's like it's the primary tenant of the Constitution or something. Does that still have value?

Anyway, I am for anything that brings out religious discomfort in people, even if it is the fluffiness of Luciferianism that does it. From the first link it appears the church already has their PR department making sure everyone knows they're law abiding citizens that are no threat to anothers way of life.

Unless they threaten the good Christians financial ledger.

What's more threatening, the "Devil next door", or the threat of possible financial losses because of...? Perhaps it's using their lost profit as fodder to drive evil out of town.

In the realm of self interest everyone is a hypocrite. God's country my ass.

D. Scientific : Quod erat demonstrandum

#103697 - 11/03/15 09:28 AM Re: The Greater Church of Lucifer [Re: CanisMachina42]
Bette Doom Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
There's just something about Texas, isn't there? Like being a devil-worshiper is no reason to skip church or something. And Canis, I think England is "God's Country" (oh the irony), whereas Texas is more like "God's Backup Plan." Some aspects of what Ford does are a little goofy, but you've got to hand it to them...that doesn't look like a repurposed Girl Scout meeting hall at ALL (chuckles).

Just checked out their Youtube channel and noticed one video depicting a "hate crime" against their church. Call me old fashioned, but if the townspeople aren't even tempted to smash the windows, you can't be doing it correctly. I'd take it as a point of pride that your neighbors took a break from tossing bacon at the doors of mosques to come see you guys.

Edited by Bette Doom (11/03/15 09:34 AM)

#103699 - 11/03/15 12:14 PM Re: The Greater Church of Lucifer [Re: Bette Doom]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

CBN News covered the story.

I don't think they'll be left to their devices by Evangelicals. If getting the attention of the press was intended to invite proselytizers to your door, mission accomplished.

To what end? I mean if 20 people just wanted to get together to discuss topics, why would this building be necessary?

Like the LHP conference, it seems to be spreading the message: "We are just like you..."

#103705 - 11/03/15 09:10 PM Re: The Greater Church of Lucifer [Re: SIN3]
The Zebu Offline

Quote:
To what end? I mean if 20 people just wanted to get together to discuss topics, why would this building be necessary?

On the practical level, Ford's crowd is pretty ritual-minded, so I'm sure that having a dedicated space for ceremonies is a plus. The OTO and Gnostic Catholic Church get in on the cheap commercial real estate too, though not with nearly as much local buzz since names like "Hidden Springs Oasis" and "Swirling Star Lodge" don't really sound like anything deviant, even though their supreme initiation entails eating poop or something like that.

From a marketing perspective, it also helps to have a physical embodiment and in-person social nexus of your brand to stand out above the goat-herd, especially in the LHP scene of potemkin e-churches where everything on the market since the 2000s has just been pilfered LaVeyism and low-res rehashes of the Ars Goetia. And from the looks of it, Mr. Ford hasn't changed his tune much.

More generally, one could say it is an expected product of group behavior, as organizations and subcultures are usually driven to create monuments to their collective ego. Seeing those "Luciferianism changed my life!"-type testimonials on their channel and hammy "we are the world" affectations makes me pretty convinced they're already well on the way.

The protests from Christians will only reinforce their exceptionalism and sense of self-relevance. And I would marvel to see the Jesus crowd going for the bait again and again, whether it's demonstrating against some public "black mass" or passing out bibles at Marylin Manson concerts (Yes, this is still actually a thing), were it not for the fact that the benefit goes both ways. These bumper-lane culture wars have become a socially-conditioned ritual by now, and let the God-fearing and the Godless raise heck in a legal and state-sanctioned manner, with each side rallying internal support for their cause and walking away convinced they have struck a victory for their particular Good in some way.

Ardent lover of shock imagery and black-metal-style blasphemy that Ford is, it's not exactly shooting in the dark to say that he is deliberately cultivating controversy, pleas of normalcy aside.

That said, if the press had done a little bit more homework, I wonder how well the headline Former Head Spokesman for Neo-Nazi Satan Cult sets up shop in Texas Suburb would have gone over?

Edited by The Zebu (11/03/15 09:27 PM)

#103706 - 11/03/15 09:40 PM Re: The Greater Church of Lucifer [Re: The Zebu]
Oxus Offline

You guys are funny . . . ;\)
The GCoL is not a LaVeyan Satanic organization
Even though there were only reported to be 20 peeps for the Opening the GCoL has an impressive membership that has spread around the US and in other countries.
Michael Ford split from O9A long before its association with Neo-Nazism and because of that direction

All that aside; The bottom line here is that no one knows who committed this act of vandalism / terrorism, but chances are it is indeed a religious bigot. No matter what your religious / moral views are, everyone should be free to safely practice their own beliefs as long as these beliefs abide by the laws of the country / state.

For the record I am an 'ex' member / archon

#103707 - 11/03/15 09:52 PM Re: The Greater Church of Lucifer [Re: Oxus]
Bodie45 Offline

Originally Posted By: Oxus
All that aside; The bottom line here is that no one knows who committed this act of vandalism / terrorism, but chances are it is indeed a religious bigot

Well I am glad to see somebody came to do the Devil's work, even if it is not those who use the name.

Originally Posted By: Bette
ust checked out their Youtube channel and noticed one video depicting a "hate crime" against their church. Call me old fashioned, but if the townspeople aren't even tempted to smash the windows, you can't be doing it correctly. I'd take it as a point of pride that your neighbors took a break from tossing bacon at the doors of mosques to come see you guys.

Funny when those that take the name of the Adversary become upset the Adversary shows up on the other side.

=45=

#103708 - 11/03/15 10:06 PM Re: The Greater Church of Lucifer [Re: Oxus]
The Zebu Offline

Quote:
The GCoL is not a LaVeyan Satanic organization

Not in name, but their credo reads like a grab-bag of the same tropes. I mean, there are only so many ways you can paraphrase "The Virtue of Selfishness" with all its play-by-play arguments for rational self-interest. With extraordinarily few exceptions, the LHP crowd has largely been reinventing the wheel for the past 50 years.

Quote:
Michael Ford split from O9A long before its association with Neo-Nazism and because of that direction

PR face-saving aside, that still hasn't stopped him from trying to get a piece of the ONA cake, peddling reprints of the BBS, NAOS, and other books on his Lulu site complete with commentary. Anyone here remember that "Sinister Tarot Calendar"? Ugh...

Quote:
No matter what your religious / moral views are, everyone should be free to safely practice their own beliefs as long as these beliefs abide by the laws of the country / state.

Yes of course, provided everyone's religious and moral views stay within complete conformity to the current reigning political climate. Shame on those fanatic Xtian bigots, not letting those nice law-abiding Luciferians exercise their constitutional rights in peace, yadda yadda, *litany of liberal platitudes*, &c &c...

Edited by The Zebu (11/03/15 10:12 PM)

#103709 - 11/03/15 10:12 PM Re: The Greater Church of Lucifer [Re: Bodie45]
Oxus Offline

Lucifer doesn't mean 'adversary' it means 'shining one' or 'light bearer' in Latin, Bodie45 you are confusing Satanists with Luciferians. Lucifer is neither the trans‑cultural archetypal Devil but rather a pre-Christian deity of Roman origin and associated with the Morning Star of ancient Phoenician/Canaan cosmology.
#103710 - 11/03/15 10:25 PM Re: The Greater Church of Lucifer [Re: The Zebu]
Oxus Offline

You barely knew the GCoL existed and now you're an expert on them?
I'm as big a fan of Chaos as the next guy but the matter at hand is that the Abrahamic faiths have a history of hate crimes and this is just warming up (they did recently have their window smashed).

#103711 - 11/03/15 10:25 PM Re: The Greater Church of Lucifer [Re: Oxus]
Bodie45 Offline

I know what the word "Lucifer" translate into, And yet most Luciferians that I have come across say they are the more sophisticated version of the Satanist. Most of the symbolism and whatnot is the same is it not?

Same smell Oxus, different name.

=45=

#103712 - 11/03/15 10:28 PM Re: The Greater Church of Lucifer [Re: Bodie45]
Oxus Offline

Originally Posted By: Bodie45
I know what the word "Lucifer" translate into, And yet most Luciferians that I have come across say they are the more sophisticated version of the Satanist. Most of the symbolism and whatnot is the same is it not?

Same smell Oxus, different name.
Not at all, this faux elitism that people seem to attach to Luciferianism must stem from some sort of satanic inferiority complex or something. Satanism is not Luciferianism . . . they waft their odors accordingly

#103714 - 11/03/15 10:44 PM Re: The Greater Church of Lucifer [Re: Oxus]
The Zebu Offline

Quote:
you are confusing Satanists with Luciferians ... Lucifer is neither the trans‑cultural archetypal Devil but rather a pre-Christian deity of Roman origin and associated with the Morning Star of ancient Phoenician/Canaan cosmology.

This statement is very problematic. But I'll spare the pseudo-academics for once and just point out how many times Ford mentions the Adversary and the Devil in defining his ideology... I mean, the GCOL logo literally is Satan doing a Michael cosplay, not to mention the "Genius of Evil" and Gustave Dore's Satan images plastered on their homepage. Even the Sigil of Lucifer is derived from a system of Christianized magic predicated on that very identification.

I will say that there are "some" self-identified Luciferians among Freemasons and Wiccans who are definitely further away from this association, but Ford's darkfluff casserole--filled with inverted pentagrams, anti-Christian bombast, and woodcuts from the Compendium Maleficarum--is basically indistinguishable from garden-variety Satanism.

The distinction is in branding only, but under close scrutiny it just doesn't hold water.

Edited by The Zebu (11/03/15 11:04 PM)

Page 1 of 10 12345>Last »

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.042 seconds of which 0.024 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.