Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#10404 - 07/31/08 05:48 AM I see there's a lot of people from England
coelentrate Offline

Loc: Dundee, Scotland
The Scottish have always told me those English bastards are evil!
#10417 - 07/31/08 09:08 PM Re: I see there's a lot of people from England [Re: coelentrate]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
I have great affinity for the English in general. They are classy, have a great sense of humor, are cool and collected, and have awesome accents.

As a joke, when someone asks me where my accent is from, I tell them that I am British. Usually, they reply that I don't sound British, to which I say, "Well, actually, this is the way that the Queens English is supposed to sound, if spoken properly."

ha ha, guess one has to be there to appreciate it.

#10438 - 08/02/08 02:58 AM Re: I see there's a lot of people from England [Re: Asmedious]
coelentrate Offline

Your story reminds me of my favorite way to answer street vendors that some up to me. I tell them in my straight American accent, "I'm sorry, I only speak Portugese" and walk on. Not that funny, but it amuses the hell out of me.
#10481 - 08/05/08 05:00 AM Re: I see there's a lot of people from England [Re: coelentrate]
jesusbeater Offline
pledge

Loc: Ireland
I'm from Ireland and in general all Irish hate the English, which I feel is a complete and utter stupid attitude to adopt for various reasons baring the obvious.Sure, there are historic reasons why the Irish should hate the English but I generally feel that they should be put where they belong, in the past.For the last ten years the Irish government has tried to bring Ireland more in line with continental Europe and to a certain degree had suceeded....until recently with the Lisbon Treaty vote.
I myself feel that our closest friends, apart from colonial crap, are the English.Culturally we are very similar and we are the only primarly english speaking countries in the EU.Both economies are strong (or were) but because of unfair EU legislation we are under pressure to try and be something that we are not.
I'm getting away from the point now...so back on track...I have met plenty of English people I really like , and after spending some time in London, found their system of government to be superior to the majority of europe(I'll get hung in Ireland for that one).I also love the Scots as well (lived in Edinburgh for a year) and the Welsh.The real assholes I find are the French and the Spanish.....Give me a Nazi or a Black and Tan any day...(lol)

#10488 - 08/05/08 09:06 AM Re: I see there's a lot of people from England [Re: jesusbeater]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
Actually, you may find that your closest friends are Americans. Ever wonder what happened to all of your long lost ancestors? They all said "Fuck the English" and went to America.

Celtic people have had a profound impact on America and, by extension, the world. Anyone interested in this subject should read James Webb's book "Born Fighting, How the Scots Irish Shaped America".

http://www.jameswebb.com/reviews/born_fighting.htm

When examined objectively, American 'redneck' culture is Irish at it's root. In America, at least a dozen books have been written on the subject.

#10490 - 08/05/08 12:07 PM Re: I see there's a lot of people from England [Re: Fist]
jesusbeater Offline
pledge

You're right I forgot to mention that.Ireland has also relied heavily on American investment over the years, in my opinion,the "Yanks" have done alot more for Ireland as a country, culturally and financially, than the EU.Where as the EU always helped out and gave with one hand but took alot more with the other, American investors have always helped the country and the workers they employed.Even at the moment when our economy is going through a rough stage and European companies are closing down and relocating to cheaper countries a lot of the American companies are staying in Ireland and being loyal to their work force.
Even through the troubles with the English occupation, we recieved no help from any European country, up until recently even the IRA recieved hugh amounts of money from American sympathisers.
Given the choice I'd prefer Ireland out of Europe and in a coalition with America and the UK.It seems at the moment that these are really our only friends and allies.

#10512 - 08/06/08 12:56 PM Re: I see there's a lot of people from England [Re: jesusbeater]
coelentrate Offline

I think you're taking me too seriously.

But I've been wanting to ask an irish person this for a long time. How hard was it for ireland to develop as a nation after independence? Scotland is on the verge of this now. What difficulties do you think we can expect?

#10525 - 08/07/08 01:08 AM Re: I see there's a lot of people from England [Re: coelentrate]
jesusbeater Offline
pledge

Woah, there's a hard one to answer with out writing a whole book on Irish history over the last 80 years.But I'll give it a shot.Firstly though, I would have to say that after living in Edinburgh myself for a while , I found Scotland to be fairly progressive and open minded.When I was there a simple change came in , which basically was waste related, where instead of collecting the rubbish in bags outside your house they introduced the big skips where you could dump as much rubbish as you wanted.Edinburgh although not as dirty as other major cities , was at that stage kind of messy.After this law was introduced the city was immaculate within a month.Now on the other hand, the town I live in had similar problems so what they did to solve it was raise the charge of bin collections!And guess what, the problem of illegal dumping has grown unbelievably and the town is an even worse shit hole.
But back on topic.I would say that the greatest problem Ireland has encountered since Independence has been massive levels of corruption in the state, both at local levels and at high governmental levels.Only recently our Taoiseach(Prime Minister) who was voted in for the 3rd time had to stand down over corruption allegations.I won't get into the whole thing but for anyone interested in the hilarious story just google Bertie Ahearn.All I will say is that the guy was the Minister of Finance for years and didn't even have a bank account, he was paid his governmental wage by cash in hand!
Along with corruption comes the big problem of complete idiots involved with politics.Ireland has about 3 main parties and all involved at different levels basically have gotten into it because it's like a family business and get voted for because of the actions of their Grandfathers.Irish people have a terrible sense of misplaced loyalties and believe generally that if my father voted for this party then I should too.Because of this it is not uncommon for someone to hold a high seat in Government and have absolutely no education.There have been cases where people have sat in power and don't even have a junior cert qualification(similar to gcse's but not even like a high school diploma).
When you add all these things together you have a buncjhof idiots running a country into the ground that are so cocky hat they think they can get away with anything.Ireland has become a shit hole under the leadership of these idiots,and may I add a lot of them self appointed.The crime rate is soaring, I believe in the small town I live in the murder rate is higher per capita than L.A..Our health system is below that of a third world country and the economy is falling apart.However no one does anything about it as people lost hope years ago.I myself do not rely on Ireland for a living or participate too much in the Irish society too much anymore as it is not something I feel I can associate myself with on any level.I just live here and that's it.
I can see similar problems lying in wait in Scotland, especially with the Nationalist party that beat Labour in the last elections.They remind me of a young Fianna Fail(the leading party in Ireland).Providing that the population aren't swayed by empty promises and bought by short term economic growth, I could see the country doing well.But going on our past and seeing certain similarities between our countries I'm not overly hopeful.But ya never know.Ireland has always been unique in a way.The stereotypes are generally true and remember the only world leader to attend Hitlers funeral was Ireland then leader, mainly just to piss off the English.We're not really a nice country.
One funny thing also that happened a few years ago.There was a vote on immigration in Ireland where the majority voted no on allowing immigrants from certain countries into the country.A letter was received in the government from the KKK complementing the Irish people on their policies and how the country was run.Now if that should tell you how much of a shit hole the country is and how badly its run.

#10562 - 08/09/08 12:35 AM Re: I see there's a lot of people from England [Re: jesusbeater]
coelentrate Offline

Wow, good (and bleak) answer. I don't know if Scotland has that kind of patrilineal succession going on. I haven't seen evidence for it. I do see a bit of a good ol' boy network, that connections get you in power, but that's hardly unique.

What I really love here, that they don't have in America, is that if a leader gets involved with a scandal, or otherwise fucks up, they're given the boot immediately. Sometimes I think they might actully go to far with that. I've heard peope asked to resign over tiny little bullshit things.

Anyway, if we do go independent, I hope scotland continues to keep its leaders in check. And I hope they plan on establishing some economic resource besides oil!

#10564 - 08/09/08 08:17 AM Re: I see there's a lot of people from England [Re: coelentrate]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
In general, most of the EC is in deep trouble. The bottom line is the fundamental economics of the Welfare State. You have a large population of Boomers who will all soon be pensioners and a small population of people actually working to pay for it. The European elites solution to this problem is to simply raise taxes, even though this is proven way to destroy productivity and will actually lower tax revenues.

The national health services of the EC have no economic incentive to do a good job. The health service is run like the DMV in America. Again, it is simple economics. When you fix the price of goods and services you will always end up with shortages and rationing. Look at the heath care services in the old USSR if you want to know where you are headed.

There is also the small 'Muslim problem' in the EC. Muslim immigrants are out breeding ethnic Europeans at anywhere from 2:1 to 5:1. In a generation, ethnic Europeans may be an ethnic minority in Europe. Muslims, especially in the UK, are very politically active and are already changing the political landscape of Europe.

This is why there is a renewed rise in right wing nationalist parties throughout the EC. It is simply backlash.

#10566 - 08/09/08 12:51 PM Re: I see there's a lot of people from England [Re: coelentrate]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
It seems to me, that just about everything you gents have written so far, regarding the negatives in your area, is almost identical to the situation here in the states.

Corruption, we got it. Just recently the Governor of New York State resigned in disgrace for being involved with prostitutes. What made it worse, is he was the kind of guy, who would throw the book at other people who did the same thing, and throw away the key, before he got caught himself. Yet, he will never serve a day in jail.

The Muslim "situation," we have also. No need to get into it, what you have there, is the same here.

We do have great health care, but in order to get it, you have to be on welfare, super rich, or be willing to work full time in a job you might not like, just in order to get benefits.

Freedom is a thing of the past. I think the only freedom that we still have, that many places might not, is the freedom of speech. However, although one might be allowed to say just about anything they want, if one says the "wrong" thing, they can be black listed, and find themselves unemployed.

Eh, the whole world is turning to shit, and I believe the only real solution is the arrival of a comet from out of space to settle things.

#10574 - 08/10/08 04:55 AM Re: I see there's a lot of people from England [Re: Fist]
coelentrate Offline

Originally Posted By: Fist
The national health services of the EC have no economic incentive to do a good job. The health service is run like the DMV in America. Again, it is simple economics. When you fix the price of goods and services you will always end up with shortages and rationing. Look at the heath care services in the old USSR if you want to know where you are headed.

I don't know how I feel about the UK national health service yet. Here and back at the states I work with big research hospitals. I see the standard of medicine is the same. Doctors take the same pride in their work. Doctors are still rich.

The one NHS advantage I can see so far is that doctors don't have to spend as much time thinking about whether a treatment is covered by insurance. They have more freedom to give people what they need.

The one drawback I see is that the beuraucratic system is bigger than it needs to be. I haven't noticed consequences of that yet.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.024 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 25 queries. Zlib compression disabled.