Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#104071 - 11/25/15 04:15 PM Hate Speech And Political Correctness
Czereda Offline

Loc: Poland
Political correctness is one of the engines of nannyism. Allowing and even encouraging 'offensive' ideas is vital for the intellectually health of a free society.~ David Harsanyi

These days everyone is so afraid of being called "sexist" or "racist" or "anti-Semitic" or some other career-killing label, that we all tiptoe carefully around diversity issues, and avoid them altogether if we possibly can.

The Problem With Political Correctness

In this article, the author writes about the crawling censorship done in the name of tolerance. Some topics become taboo so as not to offend anyone. Yet, people who cross the line of the so-called political correctness are themselves insulted and called denigrating names, like fascists, racists and sexists. Often, their only fault is expressing unpopular opinions. So no tolerance to the "enemies" of tolerance?

What are your thoughts on political correctness and the so-called hate speech?

Edited by Czereda (11/25/15 04:21 PM)

#104086 - 11/26/15 11:38 AM Re: Hate Speech And Political Correctness [Re: Czereda]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
I absolutely hate what political correctness has become. From my perspective the idea behind it is to have some considerations for others, and refrain from offending them simply for the sake of being offensive.

I try to be a gentlemen and somewhat considerate of others. For instance if I wish to light a cigarette (where it is still allowed) and there are people around me, even if it is outside, I will ask if anyone minds if I smoke.
On the other hand, if I see a non smoking sign, far away from a building, or I am informed that even if I'm alone in it, I cant even smoke in my car, not only do I light up if I feel the desire, but seem to enjoy that cigarette a lot more \:\)

However, within the last few years, I find myself less and less considerate, because I feel that my opinions (some shared on here, some not) tend to be offensive to at least some people, but instead of them shrugging it off, or asking that I not discuss my views in front of them, they, instead, attempt to censor me through some of the methods stated, such as name calling, accusations that have nothing to do with the opinion itself and so on.

At this time I'm at the point where I rarely censor myself if my opinion is asked, or if a subject is brought up in conversation.

However, unfortunately many of us are not in a position where we can afford to be competently ostracized by certain groups; mostly employers and coworkers. (Co workers might not have the ability to fire anyone, but they can make false accusations and start a shit storm in one form or another.

I feel that those people who we have to be politically correct in front of, where we cannot express our true beliefs or ideas, are not worth being around, and in my case, I attempt to avoid them completely if possible, and if not possible, to have as minimal contact with them as I can manage.

#105028 - 01/08/16 05:25 PM Re: Hate Speech And Political Correctness [Re: Asmedious]
Bella Donna Offline
pledge

There is two kind of correctness which do not resonate well together. First is the political culture of politics where all your saying has to be covered to so soft package you can´t say anything because it offends somebody somewhere.

This easily leads to self censorship where you just don´t say what you think cause you have to be friend of everybody.

Other form of correctness is to say what you think, but try to express yourself without mean bullying and telling where to go off.

First kind of correctness in my eyes is quite useless, but second one tells more about your abilities to express yourself and may be very useful.

After all, you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar

#105127 - 01/16/16 04:22 PM Re: Hate Speech And Political Correctness [Re: Czereda]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

I generally don't care when I hurt someones feeble feelings.
I can take pride in certain insults... if they're creative enough otherwise they're simply ignored.

Nothing is taboo in my books. Un-settling, perhaps, but open for discussion. If the things aren't liked it is generally advised to not search for it and start screaming against it.

From what I notice, people jump on the political correctness-wagon out of sheer peer-pressure. In reality they're equally big suckers who like to make those "incorrect" jokes (and if we be honest... those are generally the best ones).

#105208 - 01/24/16 10:17 AM Re: Hate Speech And Political Correctness [Re: Dimitri]
Satanic Princess Offline

Loc: New Zealand
I think that there are suitable times for suitable conversations and/or jokes.
For example, making a rape joke to someone who is just telling you of them being raped; is not a suitable time to make such jokes; however it isn't 'wrong'. Tasteless, yes; wrong, no.
I hate how PC the world is; don't say something you may offend someone; fuck that.
Even the whole thing with Ricky Gervais at the golden globes with his Caitlyn/Bruce Jenner joke being un-PC. Who cares? He's a comedian, its what they do, and was hardly 'mean'.
Just my 2 cents.

I plan to live forever.... so far, so good! \:\)

#105243 - 01/26/16 06:02 PM Re: Hate Speech And Political Correctness [Re: Satanic Princess]
Czereda Offline

General reply:

I've seen it on Facebook posted by one of the buddies:

‘Hitler was right’: Fascist protesters stormed city centre yesterday

It is about a small rally of the political activists, called Fascists by the general public, from the National Action, which is a British nationalist group. I don't really want to use the term "Fascist" or "Neo-Nazi" because all too often I have an impression that everyone who dares to express unpopular opinions in public is called a Fascist so that this word has become meaningless. Anyway, they had banners "Hitler was right" and "The refugees not welcome." They were also seen giving "spine-chilling Nazi salutes."

Not many of them but they were spotted by the Jewish News:

Sieg-heiling neo-Nazis demonstrate with ‘Hitler Was Right’ banner

It seems they didn't face any legal troubles for "inciting hatred" and that reminds me about some bigger demonstration of the Polish Nationalists some time ago, when they burned the effigy of a Jew. They weren't punished although some sanctimonious people demanded it.

I just wonder what is so outrageous about giving a Sieg Heil salute or burning a Jewish mascot? In Poland, during various demonstrations, it sometimes happens that people burn an effigy of some politician and nobody makes a fuss about it.

I also think that the reason for the Nationalism becoming trendy is the refugee crisis and the inability of the politicians to deal with it. The anti-immigrant demonstrations aside, there are also cases of violence against immigrants. Then, there comes the political correctness in the form of censorship. When the women in Cologne were sexually abused the police and mainstream media kept silent about it for a couple of days. The crimes committed by the Muslim immigrants were also a taboo earlier. It's not only the matter of the love rhetoric but also the fear of social unrest and the exposure of the ugly truth that multi-culturalism doesn't work. Political correctness and all the attempts at banning the so-called hate speech are usually a cover for the governments' impotence or cowardice.

#105245 - 01/26/16 06:30 PM Re: Hate Speech And Political Correctness [Re: Czereda]
Kori Houghton Offline

Loc: East Coast USA
The journalist at the first linked article couldn't even get their facts straight.

"As if enough parallels hadn’t already been drawn between National Action and yesteryear German’s Nazi party, they also have a memorable symbol, which echoes the Nazi swastika: an N and an A entwined with each other inside a circle, with the end of the ‘N’ forming a lightning bolt."

The symbol is shown at the second link. It's nothing like a swastika. It's an adaptation of the emblem used by the SA. That connection says a lot more about what National Action is trying to be.

#105256 - 01/27/16 10:51 AM Re: Hate Speech And Political Correctness [Re: Kori Houghton]
Brother Nihil Offline

Hitler was indeed right. The Western world is finally starting to rebel against the yoke of the ZOG, which has become openly ethnocidal against us. This is the real struggle underlying much of the news, which is of course being covered up in the ZOGmedia. The European peoples have been targeted for a final solution by the ZOG Pax Amerikana and their aggressive negrification propaganda. Whites fought a civil war in the 1940s that only benefited Jews and brought invasions of our lands by non-whites. But Trump has gone off the ZOG reservation, and European peoples will soon be fighting in their streets against invaders. These are historic times; time to awaken from your ZOG-induced slumber, arise and fight for your people, your pride and your future, white man!

Want to be a real Satanist today? Burn an effigy of a Jew or sieg-heil down the street. Fuck phony Jew Satanism; all heil Nazi Satanism!

Edited by Brother Nihil (01/27/16 10:57 AM)

#105257 - 01/27/16 11:13 AM Re: Hate Speech And Political Correctness [Re: Brother Nihil]
CanisMachina42 Offline
veteran member

Loc: CA
 Quote:
and European peoples will soon be fighting in their streets against invaders.

I agree. The influx of Muslims into Europe has created a rising tide of unrest. However, the ZOG machine only benefits from the fighting, as it perpetuates the idea of Jew righteousness. To truly stop the Zionist takeover Europe must accept the Muslims with open arms and implement sharia law post haste.

That will solve the Jewish problem.

#105552 - 02/17/16 03:39 AM Re: Hate Speech And Political Correctness [Re: CanisMachina42]
manofsteel Offline

Loc: Indiana U.S.
It has become such a political mess with all of the crap going on its almost a joke. We have North Korea still doing whatever they want to do, we have Russia trying to wage war on whoever they want and ISIS still terrorizing the world. Not to mention all the rest of the shit going on. I have a feeling as this gits worse with ISIS we will see many countries get more strict and grow their militaries as we need too again. And start standing up for themselves hopefully instead of us always coming to the rescue.

#105553 - 02/17/16 10:27 AM Re: Hate Speech And Political Correctness [Re: manofsteel]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Loc: Virginia
 Originally Posted By: mos
We have North Korea still doing whatever they want to do

I find that an admirable quality and don't lose sleep over it. Why do you?

It's mostly a war of words. South Korea officially announced the inevitable collapse of North Korea, so naturally its figure heads will respond.

Putin isn't one to pussyfoot around the issues either and for that he gains more admiration and support.

"Hate Speech" and "Political Correctness" has turned people soft, complacent and into people pleasers. When does anything worthwhile get done walking on egg-shells?

The Soldiers of Odin are getting flak for being "Nazis" even if only one person has any affiliation but you know what? The rest the group doesn't distance themselves from it because of the bad press. They use 'Hate Speech' and 'Political Incorrectness' and spread their message. They don't beat around the bush, they speak their mind, patrol the streets to have a presence.

The response has been pretty reactive. The group has been trolled with hugs and clowns. They've been called racists, NeoNazis, and proponents of hate crimes. Big deal.

True Finns get the message.

Originally Posted By: mos
I have a feeling as this gits worse with ISIS we will see many countries get more strict and grow their militaries as we need too again. And start standing up for themselves hopefully instead of us always coming to the rescue.

In other words, OBEY and Big Brother takes care of you.

#105556 - 02/17/16 11:07 AM Re: Hate Speech And Political Correctness [Re: SIN3]
Sargeist Offline

Loc: Chile
I have a friend who's pretty much become insufferable due to her political correctness, up to the point I don't even like hanging around her anymore. She's always complaining about the unfairness of the world and how people with "incorrect" opinions are screwing us all.

The problem with this sort of people is not realizing they're doing more harm than good, failing to understand that HUMANS can't be politically correct all the time. This white washing of humanity is disgusting and repulses me more than anything the politically incorrect sorts could say.

#105562 - 02/17/16 06:27 PM Re: Hate Speech And Political Correctness [Re: SIN3]
Czereda Offline

Quote:
The response has been pretty reactive. The group has been trolled with hugs and clowns. They've been called racists, NeoNazis, and proponents of hate crimes. Big deal.

Dunno about that. The thing is that a lot has changed due to the refugee crisis at least in Europe. The proponents of political correctness, tolerance and love rhetoric seem now to be in minority as more and more people, including the members of governments, realize that some strict measures have to undertaken to stop the flood of the immigrants. "Let's sit round the fire with our beloved Muslims and hold hands together" rhetoric is no longer trendy, especially after Paris attacks and the cases of sexual abuse in Germany. Of course, there are still some leftist liberal activists and politicians who claim that we can't associate the "poor refugees" with terrorists and rapists but it doesn't sell as well as it used to.

The nationalist movements gain sympathy but it's more due to the external circumstances; the refugee crisis, the political tensions within the EU, the individual countries' divergent interests than to their own efforts. Although one must give them the credit that they speak what the general public wants to hear. Is that really swimming against the current? The "red enemy" is weak now.

Besides, they are law abiding creatures just like the establishment they oppose. National Action clearly states on their website that they respect the law of the land. Polish nationalists are hard-core Catholics. These people can be extremely self-righteous. Safe avant-garde - painting prison walls.

#105568 - 02/18/16 01:02 AM Re: Hate Speech And Political Correctness [Re: SIN3]
manofsteel Offline

I don't lose any sleep over it. It just pisses me off that the super power that we once were is now seemingly a mockery of other nations. My son is in the US Army and it has become a joke as 4 times now he has been told he will be deployed to a different location due to all of these messes and every time it has been taken back. I am happy he is home safe but the fact is that we change our stance like people change underwear. At least until lately, now the world is aware we aren't don't anything to stop ISIS. I agree with you about Putin, what he sais he will do he does and I can admire that. And that is why he has respect of his people.

#105569 - 02/18/16 01:08 AM Re: Hate Speech And Political Correctness [Re: SIN3]
manofsteel Offline

Hate Speech" and "Political Correctness" has turned people soft, complacent and into people pleasers. When does anything worthwhile get done walking on egg-shells?

This is what you said in your response, my feeling is that we, well not we but our leaders have gotten so political that it's not about doing what is right anymore. Screw eggshells, smash them. I do agree with you though that has become how they all react I just think that's why it's time for change and I'm tired of people with no backbone.

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.046 seconds of which 0.02 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.