Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#10547 - 08/07/08 07:15 PM The Golden Compass
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
I watched this movie the other day and really enjoyed it as far as children's fantasies go.

It also, to me, had rather anti-church undertones to it, which I really liked as well. The bad guys in this movie being the 'church' as such, wanting to repress the truth about the universe (or this worlds version there of).

For anyone with little Satanists (not too young, it's quite intense in parts), it's well worth them having a look at.

Zeph

#10548 - 08/07/08 10:00 PM Re: The Golden Compass [Re: ZephyrGirl]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
I remember when it came out in theaters, Christians were in an uproar because the film had such Atheist overtones to it. Hmm, I didn't hear not nearly as many people bugging out when "Narnia" came out a couple of years ago. Now that had MAJOR Christian overtones, but it was still a great movie. The Christians are quiet when they get their way....

#10549 - 08/08/08 12:19 AM Re: The Golden Compass [Re: Nemesis]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
I would even go so far as to say Satanic undertones, not just aetheistic, with it's search for 'truth' and 'demons' being peoples souls that walk beside them as animals.

Beautiful and whimsical had all my favourite things including fighting bears. I've got a real bear thing going on at the moment. Just love em! We don't have them here (Koala's are not bear) and like seals they remind me of dogs and makes me want one as a pet (not likely LOL).

Zeph

#10565 - 08/09/08 08:21 AM Re: The Golden Compass [Re: ZephyrGirl]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
As is always the case, the books are better.

My family travels a lot on the road and we often listen to 'books on tape' CDs. My son loves them. He already has a skeptical view on authority of all types.

#10572 - 08/09/08 10:33 PM Re: The Golden Compass [Re: Fist]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
Including that of his papa? Sorry, just had to ask....

Unless it's a visually graphic movie (and I don't mean blood and gore, but a movie that does not translate well into a book, like "Transformers" or "Die Hard"), I'll take a book over a movie ANY day. It often costs less, I can go back and reread any part of the book as many times as I want, whenever I want. Often, I end up coming to different conclusions and viewing things from different angles the more I reread the book. Like Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" series...I've read "The Wastelands" approximately 20 times (I'd actually started keeping tally marks on the inside cover, but I lost that book years ago--the tally marks numbered '15' the last time I saw it). My perspective changed each time I read it.

#10575 - 08/10/08 03:34 PM Re: The Golden Compass [Re: Nemesis]
harrison Offline
pledge

Loc: winnipeg Mb, canada
The golden compass was a good movie in my opinion and i also think that books are better than movies. has anyone read the Thirty days of night books? if you liked the movie and you have not read the books i strongly urge you to do so.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  TV is God, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, fakepropht, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.262 seconds of which 0.243 seconds were spent on 19 queries. Zlib compression disabled.