Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#10631 - 08/12/08 10:30 AM Cooking 101
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
There is a reason some kitchen utensils come with a set of instructions and warnings. Over the weekend I was preparing a tex-mex style meal for the family. Tequila and lime marinaded flank steak, ranch beans, guacamole, jalapeno infused creme fraiche, and key lime pie. I had just started the charcoal for the grill. Meat was swimming in the marinade. I was prepping the other ingredients. To speed things along, I decided to use my mandolin for the slicing and dicing. I couldn't find the guard used to hold the item and protect your digits. No biggie, I will forge on without it. After a few swipes with an onion, it happened. I felt the blade make contact with my fingernail. I couldn't stop. Instantly, I knew this wasn't good. I grabbed a paper towel and wrapped my index finger in it. When I peeled back the towel, I saw I had removed most of the tip of my finger and blood was gushing. I informed my wife that dinner was off and drove myself to the emergency room. After a 2 hour wait, I was taken for xrays. I bled all over the table during that. Back to the room. The doctor was going to inject the wound with novocain, but I told her just scrub it without. That hurt. There was nothing else that could be done but wrap it up real good and stick a metal brace over it for protection. So now I have a shorter, thobbing index finger. I can barely type, can't write, or lift anything. Anyway, always follow directions and use the safety measures. finger2 finger1 finger3

#10634 - 08/12/08 02:51 PM Re: Cooking 101 [Re: fakepropht]
coelentrate Offline

Loc: Dundee, Scotland
I sliced some of the pad of my left index finger of recently. It wasn't as bad as what you had, and I didn't go to the hospital. The skin grew back, but I have a scar. That small bit is permanently numb now and I can see the space where the chunk I cut off used to be. I can sympathize. You're probably going to be numb where you were cut.
#10645 - 08/12/08 07:55 PM Re: Cooking 101 [Re: fakepropht]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
ARRRRGHGHHHHH!!!!!!! Fuck Fake, why'd you go and do that? Owieowieowieowie! Damn man, I hope they gave you some good painkillers and strong antibiotics. Take care of yourself mate.

#10646 - 08/12/08 08:11 PM Re: Cooking 101 [Re: Nemesis]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
damn, that looks yucky....

and really painful!!!

#10649 - 08/12/08 10:37 PM Re: Cooking 101 [Re: fakepropht]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

Fingers bleed so much and hurt bad... Try to keep those things connected to your hand... ;\)

#10674 - 08/14/08 03:53 PM Re: Cooking 101 [Re: ta2zz]
harrison Offline
pledge

Loc: winnipeg Mb, canada
i lost my finger in a fishing trip gone bad down in manitoba, it hurt like hell and i lost allot of blood. i passed out before i got to the hospital and later got lots of pain killers, the doctors were able to sew it back on but i dont have much feeling in that finger. i know your pain.

#10683 - 08/14/08 11:14 PM Re: Cooking 101 [Re: harrison]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
Typing is a bitch, so I won't be responding much. No painkillers. Just some gauze and a check. I had to have the table shuffke for me at my poker game. LOL. It's coming along nicely, I think. I still think the pain of the spider tattoo on my elbow was worse than this.

#10687 - 08/15/08 11:57 AM Re: Cooking 101 [Re: fakepropht]
PigFeeder Offline

Loc: Near Montreal, QC
Ouch much? Doesn't look like much fun. When I was 9 I went to reach for the toothpaste on top of the medicine cabinet. I was standing on top of the toilet when I happened to slip down and coincidentally slide my thumb across a nail of some sort sticking out the side of it.. I only remember a lot of blood and tears.. Heh, I feel your pain.. I also remember seeing my thumb partially torn off. The memory of the stitches makes me never want to have them again.. I remember the pain and the gruesome look of it. Did they stitch you up as well, or just wrap it and away you go?

Well nothing wrong with a little extra flavor in your meal; I'm guessing dinner never got finished? All those poor hungry folk. I hope you refrigerated some of it. Otherwise, what a waste of Fake's gourmet cuisine...

Happy healing friend, keep it clean. ;\)

~Snow~.

#78995 - 08/03/13 11:11 PM Re: Cooking 101 [Re: fakepropht]
Rage Offline
stranger

No... Just no. Ouch.
I had a rather embarrassing incident with a Chinese broad sword when I was training with it, I didn't get hurt, but the fellow next to me did.
While practicing my form, he butted me in the face with his pommel, I dropped the sword, and it landed on his foot.
Now, these swords aren't exactly razor sharp, they are for training...but it still needed a few stitches.

And nobody asked me if my nose was fine.

#79005 - 08/04/13 08:12 AM Re: Cooking 101 [Re: Rage]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Loc: Virginia
Did he break your nose?

I've broken the bridge of mine twice.

The first time, I was only 3. I took my big-wheel down the front steps on a thrill ride, it flipped over and I landed flat on my face on the cement alleyway.

The second, I was opening my car door in a hurry and someone called my name and as I turned, the corner of the car door nipped the bridge taking a chunk of flesh with it and cracking the bridge.

My left and right Index fingers have been through some shit. Can't say I'd ever make it as a hand-model.

I was playing 'ice sculptor' with a block of ice (age 6), I was left-handed back then so I was swinging a metal pipe with my left, while holding the ice in place with my right. After a few hard smacks, I slammed the pipe down right on my index finger. Not only did the bone break but the tip shot right through my nail bed. I had mittens on so while I was screaming in pain, the blood pooled up in my mitten and I was swinging it around whipping blood splatter everywhere. What I remember most vividly was my neighbor trying to get the mitten off. As she pulled it off, the fingernail that was barely hanging on went with it. After the bone was set back in, a few stitches and a it healed the doctor told me I may not get a fingernail back. It took forever but it finally grew in, so now my left index finger looks more like a toe.

The left index finger was in a similar 'cooking accident'. I was a rep for Cold Steel knives at the time, and had been gifted a set of their new serrated kitchen knives. In all the demos I did, you can cut a whole chicken (bone and all) in half with ease. At home however, the cutting board slipped on the counter, and the knife went through the chicken, and my index finger on the hand that was stabilizing it. It didn't even hurt, all I heard was 'crunch!'. It went right through my flesh, bone, and nail bed. I had effectively cut my finger in half, but not completely off. I cleaned it, bandaged the hell out of it and never got stitches. All I have now is a scar, but the cuticle grows in a weird 'v' shape.

I do remember it throbbing like hell the next day when it began to heal. I hate taking pills, so I just dealt with the pain, kept it clean and put it on ice.

Edited by SIN3 (08/04/13 08:13 AM)

#79007 - 08/04/13 11:46 AM Re: Cooking 101 [Re: SIN3]
Rage Offline
stranger

No, it was just the impact that caused me to drop the 3ft long blade on his foot haha

After that we all had to start using wooden swords, but the were so unbalanced, so clumsy.

#79010 - 08/04/13 04:09 PM Re: Cooking 101 [Re: Rage]
Zach_Black Offline

Loc: San Diego, California
Shit man , as a Sushi chef I cut myself all the time. Especially when I have had to much sake. I dropped my knife and stabbed myself in the foot. Clever yet painful way to get the rest of the night off though.

#79305 - 08/16/13 10:19 PM Re: Cooking 101 [Re: Zach_Black]
10yearsofevil Offline
stranger

Loc: Pittsburgh PA
On a fateful Thursday in the kitchen I work at there was no meat plunger to finish making my ham salad. I grabbed a big knife that had a real big fat handle to try and carefully plunge the meat. It worked but I was called away for a second and when I returned it was spinning out of control. I went for the knife instead of the switch and it grabbed and swung around real fast cutting my left three fingers bad enough to need surgery.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.023 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 26 queries. Zlib compression disabled.