Page 9 of 10 « First<678910>
Topic Options
#114226 - 09/01/17 08:43 AM Re: what brought you to satanism? [Re: Dark Magician]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Human nature is what it is, regardless of who agrees. Life behaves according to certain parameters, regardless of interpretation. To say that every single human has to agree upon these conditions to make them so is frankly, ridiculous.

#114227 - 09/01/17 06:35 PM Re: what brought you to satanism? [Re: Dan_Dread]
ShadowLover Offline

Loc: Gold Coast, Australia
It's not what brought me to the Satanism forums, but the thing that I really like about Satanism and Satanists is that no one tries to convert you.

Although I'm not really a Satanist, I can come here and hang around, enjoy the conversations, learn shit about myself and quietly develop strategies to strengthen myself and improve my life, and no one gives a toss.

I don't know of another (religion) that is like that. Friends in other religions will eventually tell me that I should change something and they do so because they like me and are in genuine fear for my soul. Satanists don't give a shit.

Satanism sits back and lets me come to it...

#114234 - 09/02/17 07:53 PM Re: what brought you to satanism? [Re: ShadowLover]
fiendish Offline

Well then maybe we could change the topic to "what would bring you to Satanism".

Medulla oblongata

#114245 - 09/04/17 09:37 AM Re: what brought you to satanism? [Re: Dark Magician]
when7iseleven Offline

Loc: High Peak, UK
The Event, A, B, C & D happened, it has an essence & is substantive. What the actors or observers of the event interpret it to be are irrelevant & unique to each of them individually.

If the Event is observed again in a thousand years it will still be substantive & the same event but will again be interpreted in more individual ways.

The Event is of itself & has essence.

#114257 - 09/04/17 05:17 PM Re: what brought you to satanism? [Re: ShadowLover]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Most here do not regard Satanism as a religion at all. It's more of an inborn perspective coupled with certain type of purposeful actions.

The sort that try to mold Satanism into the loaded narrative of religion are generally just more of the same crap as the others, and most here tend to recognize that straight away.

Thus the sort looking for that predetermined structure and unity(read, intellectually lazy people) tend not to stick around too long.

Aside from Aquino anyway...but he's selling not buying.

#114258 - 09/05/17 06:23 AM Re: what brought you to satanism? [Re: when7iseleven]
Dark Magician Offline

when7iseleven:

The Event, A, B, C & D happened, it has an essence & is substantive. What the actors or observers of the event interpret it to be are irrelevant & unique to each of them individually.

If the Event is observed again in a thousand years it will still be substantive & the same event but will again be interpreted in more individual ways.

The Event is of itself & has essence.

Are you so sure you're right when it comes to this? Take a day or two and let me know if you still believe this. I will respond then.

#114260 - 09/05/17 08:45 AM Re: what brought you to satanism? [Re: fiendish]
ShadowLover Offline

Loc: Gold Coast, Australia
 Originally Posted By: Dan_Dread
Most here do not regard Satanism as a religion at all.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. That is why I put the word in brackets. I wasn't sure what to write in its place. Philosophy perhaps? Lifestyle seems like such a flippant word these days...

What do people here call Satanism instead of calling it a religion?

#114261 - 09/05/17 08:52 AM Re: what brought you to satanism? [Re: ShadowLover]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

I call it Satanism.

#114262 - 09/05/17 09:09 AM Re: what brought you to satanism? [Re: Dan_Dread]
Czereda Online

Loc: Poland
Hahahahaha!

Satanism is a religion founded in 1966 by Anton Szandor LaVey. Its teachings are based on individualism, self-indulgence, and "eye for an eye" morality...

Oh irony.

#114264 - 09/05/17 11:51 AM Re: what brought you to satanism? [Re: ShadowLover]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Loc: Virginia
The UN-Religion?

I swear, the more people pull back layer after layer, the more they don't seem to understand. Even with Anton dumbing way down low.

If it's diminished to a philosophy, I wonder; what do you think philosophy is?

#114265 - 09/05/17 03:49 PM Re: what brought you to satanism? [Re: Czereda]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

What irony? Is that supposed to be an authoritive statement or something? It surprises me not one bit that you see it that way.

#114266 - 09/05/17 04:25 PM Re: what brought you to satanism? [Re: Dan_Dread]
Caladrius Offline

Loc: SoCal
What Satanism Is Not:

a) Satanism is not, nor can ever be, a religion, nor just a 'philosophy'. A religion means acceptance of authority, the rigid structure of a 'Church' or a 'Temple', and a unified dogma (with the consequent schisms and claims to ''authenticity''). The religious attitude is the antithesis of what Satanism really is - for Satanism is a way of living, a way of experiencing, in the raw, whereas religion abstracts, limits endeavor, behavior and moralizes. In short, a Satanist plunges into reality, without any supports (moral, psychic or human) whereas a religious person has that reality prescribed by dogma, authority and such like, and is supported by a `Church', its members and their attitudes. Satanism is an ecstatic affirmation of existence - a taking of existence into new and higher realms, as well as a plunge into existing darkness and the creation of new darkness.

b) Satanism cannot have anyone impose upon it any structure, authority, or institution of any kind by claiming a 'dark mandate' or some kind of 'revelation'. There can be no such thing as an, infernal mandate' of whatever kind because the only thing that really matters to Satanism is experience, its accumulation and the highly individualized learning that results from such experience.
-- Hysteron Proteron, ONA

Personally, I've always ascribed to the ONA's school of thought regarding Satanism.

#114267 - 09/05/17 04:45 PM Re: what brought you to satanism? [Re: Caladrius]
Kori Houghton Offline

Loc: East Coast USA
 Originally Posted By: Caladrius
What Satanism Is Not:

a) Satanism is not, nor can ever be, a religion, nor just a 'philosophy'. A religion means acceptance of authority, the rigid structure of a 'Church' or a 'Temple', and a unified dogma (with the consequent schisms and claims to ''authenticity''). The religious attitude is the antithesis of what Satanism really is - for Satanism is a way of living, a way of experiencing, in the raw, whereas religion abstracts, limits endeavor, behavior and moralizes. In short, a Satanist plunges into reality, without any supports (moral, psychic or human) whereas a religious person has that reality prescribed by dogma, authority and such like, and is supported by a `Church', its members and their attitudes. Satanism is an ecstatic affirmation of existence - a taking of existence into new and higher realms, as well as a plunge into existing darkness and the creation of new darkness.

b) Satanism cannot have anyone impose upon it any structure, authority, or institution of any kind by claiming a 'dark mandate' or some kind of 'revelation'. There can be no such thing as an, infernal mandate' of whatever kind because the only thing that really matters to Satanism is experience, its accumulation and the highly individualized learning that results from such experience.
-- Hysteron Proteron, ONA

Personally, I've always ascribed to the ONA's school of thought regarding Satanism.

Have you? I do believe you just quoted a text, and attributed that text to the ONA. Passing down traditions, texts, and teachings received via other methods than the written word, is "religion". Religion doesn't have to mean only the codification of laws, morality guidelines, required practices and beliefs, and behavioral norms. It can be the preservation of traditions, and passing them on. Like citing a text.

I'm with "creepless Crowley" on this one.

#114268 - 09/05/17 04:48 PM Re: what brought you to satanism? [Re: Dan_Dread]
Czereda Online

Loc: Poland
 Originally Posted By: Dan_Dread
What irony? Is that supposed to be an authoritive statement or something? It surprises me not one bit that you see it that way.

No. It's because your post linked to that definition. Whenever one mentions Satanism here, it links to the encyclopedia definition. The same goes for a couple of other words. As it was in response to Shadowlover's post about Satanism being a religion or not, I called it ironic. That's all. No need to make a fuss about it.

#114269 - 09/05/17 04:55 PM Re: what brought you to satanism? [Re: Kori Houghton]
Bartho LeMule Offline

Originally Posted By: Kori Houghton
It can be the preservation of traditions, and passing them on. Like citing a text.

In some parts of the world what you describe - that is, a vehicle for tradition, to be passed down - is called Culture.

It's too broad a definition for "religion" for someone like myself.

According to such a broad definition the following would be religions:

1. Freemasonry,
2. Skater subculture
3. College, and the traditions associated with such.
4. The government, since it's procedures are steeped in tradition passed down from generation to generation.
5. The local Mexican restaurant, since it passes age old family secret recipies down from generation to generation.

If we're using such a broad definition, I would agree with you.

Edited by Bartho LeMule (09/05/17 04:56 PM)

Page 9 of 10 « First<678910>

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, TV is God, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.018 seconds of which 0.003 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.