Page 4 of 4 <1234
Topic Options
#106951 - 05/31/16 04:50 PM Re: Science: a Flawed Paradigm [Re: SIN3]
Naama Offline

Loc: NewYork
Quite arrogant of you.

There few people here whose intellect I envy, so to speak, - but certainly not yours.
SO the attitude would be mutual since you are clearly ruining a possibility of a productive dialogue.

All I'm trying to say here, that science and scientific method - being indeed "all we (humans) got",
yet all the scientific "conclusions" (speaking simply) - most of the time - are applied and molded into society certainly not "out of pure altruism" towards humans.
For example the case with "water fluoridation" and many other examples like that.
Would you disagree?
Yea, keep on disagreeing...

#106953 - 05/31/16 05:19 PM Re: Science: a Flawed Paradigm [Re: Naama]
Czereda Online

Loc: Poland
 Quote:
all the scientific "conclusions" (speaking simply) - most of the time - are applied and molded into society certainly not "out of pure altruism" towards humans.

Who's talking about "pure altruism"?

Scientists need to eat too. They offer their skills and service in return for money. The doctors also don't cure you for free. However, more often than not, it's a mutual benefit.

#106955 - 05/31/16 05:33 PM Re: Science: a Flawed Paradigm [Re: Czereda]
Naama Offline

Loc: NewYork
I thought that "science" essentially was meant to be a pure "altruism towards humanity".
To "serve" humanity.
That was the whole purpose of it.
And if they (scientists) are in fact, like you said here, - "humans too" - then the whole purpose of it (whole purpose of science)is defeated!

Especially math, (for examp.) as a science it was meant to be a "pure thing of beauty" - so to speak. Absolutely free of all human vices!
If you are familiar with the case of Grigory Perelman - a genius mathematician he recently refused big money and position, because it (agreeing to it) would automatically defeat the thing he was devoted to - a science of mathematics.
Again, he he was devoted to it very much, and felt like he has to "guard" that whole egregore personally. So it would remain free from big money, gluttony, and hypocrisy associated with it. So, (according to his explanation in interview,e.t.c..) he chose not go on that level which they offered him...

#106974 - 06/01/16 10:41 PM Re: Science: a Flawed Paradigm [Re: Naama]
CanisMachina42 Offline
veteran member

Loc: CA
 Quote:
I thought that "science" essentially was meant to be a pure "altruism towards humanity".
To "serve" humanity.

No, there is nothing that exists with what you describe as it's primary function.

Science wasn't meant to be anything, specifically. It arose from the glaring fucking holes religion left filled. Science embraces the one true thing about ideas, that lacks any anthropomorphic will, answers are always subject to change.

Any "service to humanity" is a byproduct of answers remaining in constant flux.

I dont gey why the comparrison is even attempted. If science is bars of gold, then the spiritual is a stock certificate.

*gathers overall condemnation of why science is flawed.

Nothing, not even the pursuit of science, is immune from greed. Blame commerce.

#106981 - 06/02/16 12:51 PM Re: Science: a Flawed Paradigm [Re: Naama]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Loc: Virginia
Me thinks she doth protest too much. If you believe that one can 'ruin' any productive discussion (produce what anyway? Little turds?) then my work here is done. Arrogant you say? How... EVIL.

Quote:
All I'm trying to say here, that science and scientific method - being indeed "all we (humans) got",
Sigh... It's not all we got.

Quote:

yet all the scientific "conclusions" (speaking simply) - most of the time - are applied and molded into society certainly not "out of pure altruism" towards humans.
And this is an objective fact and motivation? My point is thus demonstrated.

Quote:
For example the case with "water fluoridation" and many other examples like that.
Would you disagree?
Yea, keep on disagreeing...

Make a more intelligible argument, I may have something to agree or disagree with.

#113349 - 07/06/17 03:02 AM Re: Science: a Flawed Paradigm [Re: SIN3]
Ghostly1 Offline

Loc: NY
Beating dead horses is fun.

Actually no it benefits neither the horse or you.

Back to the original post, and possibly its intent, that science in itself is a waste of time because it is not being used to its true potential. I could agree to an extent this is true. There were days in our past where even proving science exits was a death sentence. The world isn't flat?! Blasphemy! You were tortured and killed for falling out of line. Ironically there are still examples of this around the world where ideology hasn't lost its grasp on the minds of the populace. They are content to demonise television shows and fictional characters and you would argue that altruism could solve that. Ask anyone in North Korea who is responsible for the sun coming up, the list is short.

True altruism like what Jonas Salk did to save kids from polio is rare. There is no profit in curing disease, and grants don't pack the punch they used to. No one cares what the byproducts of insects fucking is. Certainly governments are strapped for funds because they were busy buying slick advertising for the next sales pitch for reelection based on the cure rat semen provided with their contributions.

True altruism gets you ostracized from both the scientific community and business.

Business is actually one of the most successful religions I have seen. It isn't afraid to change faces to suit the market or the buyer. Profits are worshipped and stupid people get famous. Disproving that what might be stupid but makes you rich isn't stupid. IE: Kardashians and pet rocks.

The cure for cancer, not treatment will be one our greatest achievements, but also the race to market it will make Pokemon Go look like snake oil. The truth is we spend infinitely more money on beauty enhancements and technology to keep us entertained we have almost guaranteed we will never see a cure. But you will have wrinkle free ass cheeks.

Edited by Ghostly1 (07/06/17 03:03 AM)

#113351 - 07/06/17 09:59 AM Re: Science: a Flawed Paradigm [Re: Ghostly1]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: Ghostly1
True altruism like what Jonas Salk did to save kids from polio is rare. There is no profit in curing disease, and grants don't pack the punch they used to

A few isolate cases do not make a categorization. There's no such thing as a pure act of Altruism anyway. The Scientist that manages a break through, gets all the accolades and profits for doing so. The idea that it *should* be for helping humanity is a Utopian ideal. Science is a method, not a paradigm. Reality doesn't require agreement with it. If you can manage to observe things as they really are vs. how you believe them to be, consider yourself aware and nothing more.

#113352 - 07/06/17 12:01 PM Re: Science: a Flawed Paradigm [Re: SIN3]
Ghostly1 Offline

Loc: NY
I agree completely. All we have is a few idealists swimming against a tide of greed and power. Searching for and knowing the truth is at the heart of all scientists and to most Satanists anyway. Those uttering incantations in their underwear between commercials aren't looking for truth but a shortcut. Doctor Salk and Tesla are two who come to mind who having achieved notoriety didn't see many returns for their efforts in a monetary sense. We are fortunate to still be here, the next plague hasn't hit us yet.

#113494 - 07/17/17 01:49 AM Re: Science: a Flawed Paradigm [Re: Naama]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
"Science" might generally be defined as the search for and statement of the constitutional and behavioral characteristics of the thing being studied.

In academia there are the physical sciences and the social (or behavioral) sciences.

The former are the simpler and more straightforward, as they result from the "scientific methods" applies to OU phenomena. First there's observation. Then hypothesis. Then theory. Finally testing by repetition under controlled circumstances. If the testing is positive, you've got a new statement of natural law.

The latter are much dicier, because they involve human consciousness, which can be moth OU-driven and/or SU-discretionary. Probabilities here, but no laws.

I am a Political Scientist. Imagine my consternation when, in my Ph.D. studies, I was told that PS is not a science at all. Everything it discovers falls short of law in the precise sense. Those who proclaim that they know it absolutely eventually discover how they don't.

All the above said, I don't see any reason to bash science if you're clear-headed as to how it can and can't be used. It's a tool, not a god.

#114356 - 09/17/17 06:22 PM Re: Science: a Flawed Paradigm [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
fiendish Offline

Well, some individuals invented PS for their own well being. To say it's a tool and not a god is blasphemy , since you accept the existence of some god only by mentioning the possibility of its existence.
In fact, the logical line of events to follow observation and hypothesis is experiment and proof. THEN theory and testing. In some cases, if you miss a part, you miss everything.

#114371 - 09/18/17 11:23 AM Re: Science: a Flawed Paradigm [Re: Ghostly1]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: Ghostly1
. Doctor Salk and Tesla are two who come to mind who having achieved notoriety didn't see many returns for their efforts in a monetary sense. We are fortunate to still be here, the next plague hasn't hit us yet.

You confuse monetary gains with legacy. Both certainly received the pat on the back, the fame, and profit to boot. What was it that Salk said? Ah yes “Hope lies in dreams, in imagination and in the courage of those who dare to make dreams into reality."

It can be ego-fulfilling to provide a solution to a problem that no one else had prior to YOU stepping up to bat.

#116160 - 03/31/18 12:10 PM Re: Science: a Flawed Paradigm [Re: SIN3]
Brutus Offline
stranger

What we have to acknowledge is that all the great things we use today have been invented by scientists, including the internet.

Science holds great potential to improve our lives, and has done so over the last centuries. Without question, it's clear that where's a lot of light, there's a lot of shadow too. Science can, will and has been misused in the past. The less open a government is, the more likely it will abuse science for its own gains and will suppress results that are not of its liking.

Jacob Bronowski put that in wonderful words, which can be viewed here: https://youtu.be/ltjI3BXKBgY

#116165 - 03/31/18 09:03 PM Re: Science: a Flawed Paradigm [Re: Naama]
ShadowLover Offline

Loc: Gold Coast, Australia
 Originally Posted By: Naama
To "serve" humanity.

I think on a day-to-day level we usually use science for our own selfish reasons. Everyday we apply science in a commonsense way to improve our lives.

For example, one of the venues I do readings at... The reading room is stuffy unless you turn on the central air. But the switch is up high and I'm a short arse. So I each time I work there I temporarily transform the stick for the Tibetan singing bowl into an arm extender, or an A/C Turneronerer. ...For my own selfish reasons, in that I want some damn air circulating.

We use science when we cook to pleasure our own taste buds, or if we are on a budget we might use it to bulk up a meal and make it feed a greater number of people or simply last longer.

Edited by ShadowLover (03/31/18 09:05 PM)

#116331 - 05/25/18 03:31 PM Re: Science: a Flawed Paradigm [Re: Naama]
Dark One Offline
pledge

The scientific method is essentially the way in which we understand the world/universe to operate and it function and it does work for real without the need of making stuff up as you go along. That's not to say as humans we should base our life on it though that seem to me what the atheists are doing.
#117052 - 09/25/18 06:01 PM Re: Science: a Flawed Paradigm [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
fiendish Offline

Science might apply to the closest thing to truth. It looks like a mold which produces a specific future. In fact , natural law replaces deviations with a cost that is reflected in the whole.

Page 4 of 4 <1234

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.019 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.