Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#10748 - 08/19/08 02:16 PM Computer parts
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
Do any of you smart people know any good places to get computer parts from? Either online or in person.

My laptop has some issues, and I would like to replace some parts on it, like the fan, and the little wire thingie that goes into the screen. The only hardware experience is from taking this thing apart several times, and finally figuring out how to clean the fan...which I managed to screw up after cleaning, but was able to get things running again.

Now, I a few months later, the color on the screen was messing up, and when I took the cover off the keyboard area, I noticed that that one of the tiny wires that connects the mother board, to the screen, has a small nick in it. Probably from the last time that I put part of the keyboard cover back on.

I jiggled it, and re-connected it, and it works fine at the moment, but if it acts up again, I might want to replace it.

Would Radio Shack have parts, or could they order them?

Thanks.

#10750 - 08/19/08 02:57 PM Re: Computer parts [Re: Asmedious]
harrison Offline
pledge

Loc: winnipeg Mb, canada
Hey asmedious, you should get parts from radio shack, or walmart.
However do not get any of those parts from ebay, that would be cheaper but you really cant trust the quality of the parts. hope this is usefull.

#10751 - 08/19/08 03:01 PM Re: Computer parts [Re: harrison]

Thanks Harrison. Do those places have small parts though? I assume that they sell things like hard drives, but if I only need a small circuit or what every you call those things with a wire hanging out of them, would they carry that?

#10753 - 08/19/08 03:07 PM Re: Computer parts [Re: Asmedious]
harrison Offline
pledge

iam guessing they do have small parts. they would probably carry what you are looking for.

#10755 - 08/19/08 03:18 PM Re: Computer parts [Re: harrison]

Great. Thank you, I will look into it.

#10756 - 08/19/08 03:20 PM Re: Computer parts [Re: Asmedious]
harrison Offline
pledge

it is ok man, but tell me how it works out after.
talk to you later.

#10758 - 08/19/08 03:27 PM Re: Computer parts [Re: harrison]
coelentrate Offline

Loc: Dundee, Scotland
Google for:

Grainger industrial supply, and McMaster Carr

You won't get a PC fan from them, but you'll get raw electronics supplies. Wire, connectors, solder, and such.

#10765 - 08/19/08 06:24 PM Re: Computer parts [Re: coelentrate]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
If you were in Adelaide I'd tell you to go to Jaycar, best place for all sorts of electronic bits and pieces, however you're not in Adelaide, so I can't really help you.

One hint for you though, you'll find instruction video's on how to pull things down and rebuild them on Youtube. Phones, computers etc, seems there is alot of helpful stuff on there.

Zeph

#10770 - 08/19/08 07:17 PM Re: Computer parts [Re: Asmedious]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
Newegg or Tigerdirect are the places to go for selection and low prices. They have EVERYTHING you could possibly think of, and then some. You could get a new fan and cable for probably less than $20 from either of those places. Radioshack is expensive.

#10771 - 08/19/08 07:25 PM Re: Computer parts [Re: Nemesis]

Thanks all.

#10776 - 08/19/08 10:28 PM Re: Computer parts [Re: Asmedious]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
Give CDW a look as well. They sell everything from wires to full pc's. Many of my coworkers have built pc's from the shell up using online and real stores. If I have some free time, I can ask them for some of their sources.

#11136 - 09/01/08 02:31 PM Re: Computer parts [Re: Asmedious]
Disabuse Offline

Asmedious, this might be a dead horse, but if you need any help finding parts, PM me. I've built plenty of PCs from the ground up and have even done hard soldering mods on the circuitry.

Newegg.com is one of the best suppliers out there. Tigerdirect should be used for things you can't find on newegg, as tigerdirect tends to be a little more expensive.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.023 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 25 queries. Zlib compression disabled.