Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#10843 - 08/21/08 04:12 AM Louisiana Vegetarian Gumbo Recipe
Seti 352 Offline
stranger

Loc: USA
I noticed some interest in gumbo, so I thought I'd post this recipe but also a couple of notes. If you prefer to add some meat, chicken & sausage are the way to go. Enjoy.

Ingredients:

* 1 tbsp olive oil
* 1 onion, diced
* 1 green bell pepper, diced
* 3 stalks celery, sliced
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* 3 cups vegetable broth
* 3 cups water
* 1 14 ounce can died tomatoes
* 1 1/2 cups okra, sliced
* 1 zucchini, sliced ( I omit this. Never had a gumbo with zucchini in it. lol)
* 1 tsp thyme
* 1 tsp file powder
* 1/2 tsp salt
* dash black pepper, to taste
* dash tabasco sauce, to taste
* 3 cups rice, pre-cooked

Preparation:
Sautee the onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic in olive oil over medim heat in a large saucepan or soup pot. Allow to coo for about 5 minutes.

Add the remaining ingredients, except rice and bring to a low simmer. Cover partially, and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve generous portions of the gumbo over a bit of rice.

Seti's Notes: The only problem with this recipe is the lack of roux. A gumbo without roux is not a gumbo...period. However, roux is easy to make.

Roux:

http://www.ehow.com/how_13900_make-roux.html

For a true Cajun gumbo, use a dark roux. If you prefer a more Creole flavor, use medium brown roux.

Bon appétit !

-Seti

#10844 - 08/21/08 04:57 AM Re: Louisiana Vegetarian Gumbo Recipe [Re: Seti 352]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
What type of rice is used? Long grain, jasmine, basmati? They all have very different flavours.

Zeph

#10846 - 08/21/08 06:17 AM Re: Louisiana Vegetarian Gumbo Recipe [Re: ZephyrGirl]
Seti 352 Offline
stranger

Loc: USA
Agreed. Normally here, we use Louisiana short-grain rice. However, I'm not sure how available that is in other areas. But I've used plain white rice-short or long grain- and it works fine. Basmati is also excellent. But, I would stay away from jasmine and/or brown rice for a gumbo. It detracts from the taste.

-Seti

#11175 - 09/03/08 05:11 AM Re: Louisiana Vegetarian Gumbo Recipe [Re: Seti 352]
morgoth Offline
stranger

Loc: Perth, Western Australia
What is the preferred type of sausage you would use.
Would any old snag do? It's something I've always wanted to try and make, so I'd like to get it as close to an original recipe as possible. Cheers.

#11189 - 09/03/08 07:52 PM Re: Louisiana Vegetarian Gumbo Recipe [Re: morgoth]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
I would suggest chorizo. Not my recipe, and I didn't try this one, but I always use chorizo in my gumbo. Most recipes for gumbo call for it as well. Aidells makes a variety of chicken based chorizo if you are interested in going that route.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, Woland, Asmedious, Fist, Diavolo, TV is God 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.018 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 18 queries. Zlib compression disabled.