Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#110149 - 11/10/16 06:56 AM Tats/ Piercings/Cosmetic Surgery & Other Body Mods
ShadowLover Offline

Loc: Gold Coast, Australia
I remember seeing a documentary about the traditional body mods throughout history - foot binding, neck stretching(rings), head reshaping, etc, and at the end of it they had modern day breast augmentation. I remember my initial reaction was that it wasn't the same thing, and then I thought, actually it is... Kind of.

So what are people's opinions on different mods and where do you draw the line?

Tats I think great so long as they are professionally done. Some homemade ones I think look like crap. But a Portuguese woman I knew years ago forbid her adult sons from getting tats because apparently back in her day prisoners had prison tattoos and they were the only people that had them.

I have one... Would like a few more but it doesn't fit into my student budget at the moment.

Piercings are fun. I had some which have grown or fell out. I miss some of them.

But I might baulk at dating a guy who had his tongue split. And when they go so far as to have their penis split I start to think that a little therapy wouldn't go astray.

I had one fellow express to me that it was his ultimate dream to become a unic and to take testosterone so he could just service women orally. I think this type of modification/mutilation is disturbing - I wonder where their mind is at.

Cosmetic surgery is certainly in fashion. I personally don't think we should be giving children nose jobs so they can win pageants... Or giving girls breast implants as a graduation gifts. Self-love should come from within. But I think so long as the person's mind is healthy and their whole self-worth isn't based on the surgery than go hard.

I'm 47yo and I haven't ruled out the idea of getting my face panel-beated in my mid 50's... I'm not opposed to the idea of looking 45yo when I am 55yo. But if something happened and I couldn't achieve this, it wouldn't worry me.

I guess I draw the line when the modification affects daily living and your ability to do what you need to do or used to do.

For instance... I had eyelash extensions at one stage. I loved how they looked, but I couldn't open my eyes underwater or look into the shower - the lashes would stick in my eyes. My friend had the same experience and we decided that we were just to tomboyish to put up with it! As much as we liked them, they interfered with our fun so they had to go! But if I was going somewhere really special I might get them again just for the occasion.

Edited by ShadowLover (11/10/16 06:57 AM)

#110151 - 11/10/16 09:17 AM Re: Tats/ Piercings/Cosmetic Surgery & Other Body Mods [Re: ShadowLover]
XeperaEmSet Offline
pledge

I think adding to the body is "acceptable", though of course people can do what they want. So things like tattoos, piercings, crazy hair styles, etc. I personally have 3 tattoos. But when you start destroying your body like gauges, tongue splitting, horns, amputation, etc... that's too far imo.

Edited by XeperaEmSet (11/10/16 09:17 AM)

#110216 - 11/12/16 02:29 PM Re: Tats/ Piercings/Cosmetic Surgery & Other Body Mods [Re: ShadowLover]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

I'm a clean slate. No body-mods or paintings on mine.
I see no reason to have them. Character makes one unique enough (or should be).

If people want to have a memory carved into their flesh, if they do want to become a "piece of art", I won't stop them.

Although I have to admit that certain "mods" can better be interpreted as a result of a restless spirit/mind and not so much as a fashion statement.

On the other hand... I like a "beautiful" woman. It's bullshit when men call women out for wearing make-up (unless it can be scraped off bare-handedly). Everyone, men and women, likes a hygienic partner. Cosmetics give an indication of a woman looking after her looks. Sure, it can be a slippery slope as certain women without make-up have the looks to be pummeled by a baseball-bat instead of a nice dick.

In short, everything in moderation. A nice tattoo can be fun to look at. A belly piercing (on a woman) can be sexy. Just as a tiny butterfly on the leg. But if your body starts looking holey as a Swiss cheese and your general body as if a painter emptied all his canisters... I'm going to imply your brain isn't ticking normally.

Edited by Dimitri (11/12/16 02:30 PM)

#112639 - 04/30/17 05:00 PM Re: Tats/ Piercings/Cosmetic Surgery & Other Body Mods [Re: ShadowLover]
LoneWolf78 Offline

Originally Posted By: ShadowLover
I remember seeing a documentary about the traditional body mods throughout history - foot binding, neck stretching(rings), head reshaping, etc, and at the end of it they had modern day breast augmentation. I remember my initial reaction was that it wasn't the same thing, and then I thought, actually it is... Kind of.

Correct. Anything that changes your body from what that it would look like in a natural state is body modification. This includes the very benign things as shaving, cutting your hair, or trimming your nails to body building, dyeing hair, tattoos, piercings, or any of the other things you have mentioned.

Quote:

I love tattoos and piercings each for different reasons. I like the permanence of tattoos. I like the sensations of piercings. They also each give off a nice little endorphin rush. I have drawn the line at things such as tongue splitting, tattooing eyeballs, and piercing the uvula. If a piercing isn't complimentary to an individuals looks or is not functional I don't see the point.

On a bit of a side note, there is a book by Re/Search publications called, "Modern Primitives". It is authored by V. Vale and Andrea Juno.

Aside from familiar faces to the tattoo/piercing community such as Lyle Tuttle or Fakir Musafar, there are also interviews with Anton LaVey and Genesis P. Orridge of Thee Temple ov Psychick Youth.

#112652 - 05/01/17 10:13 AM Re: Tats/ Piercings/Cosmetic Surgery & Other Body Mods [Re: ShadowLover]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Loc: Virginia
 Originally Posted By: SL

I find the new trend in 'Transabled' pretty fascinating. People that live as if they are disabled but are not. Some go as far as actually amputating limbs (to rock prosthetic parts).

It's described in the DSM as BiiD but only insofar as it causes the person distress and they seek out a mental health professional.

I think people that go as far as cutting off limbs have a few screws loose. It's one thing to play a role, it's another to become it.

Case Example, this woman made herself blind to BE blind.

This goes beyond the Transhumanism movement where people just want better parts to be more efficient.

For my own body, I have tattoos, piercing, and stretching. Had my brows pigmented but that only lasts about a year. I'd say all of this falls into the same category as Aesthetics (cosmetic enhancements), I wouldn't consider them modifications.

Trans-gendered falls in the category of mods, in my opinion. When a person is born biologically with parts and wants to transform those parts, this is 'becoming' in a way that isn't Aesthetic.

#112663 - 05/01/17 10:49 PM Re: Tats/ Piercings/Cosmetic Surgery & Other Body Mods [Re: SIN3]
LoneWolf78 Offline

Originally Posted By: SIN
I find the new trend in 'Transabled' pretty fascinating. People that live as if they are disabled but are not. Some go as far as actually amputating limbs (to rock prosthetic parts).

It's described in the DSM as BiiD but only insofar as it causes the person distress and they seek out a mental health professional.

I think people that go as far as cutting off limbs have a few screws loose. It's one thing to play a role, it's another to become it.

I agree. Quite fascinating and that is something that I have not heard of. Aside from going so far as to have your limbs cut off etc, I could see it being advantageous. The account of the guy not telling his wife the truth would seem to be case in point.

For my own body, I have tattoos, piercing, and stretching. Had my brows pigmented but that only lasts about a year. I'd say all of this falls into the same category as Aesthetics (cosmetic enhancements), I wouldn't consider them modifications.

To an extent I agree and to an extent I disagree. You are not born with tattoos or piercings. Though largely I can see these being cosmetic. On the other hand, things such as genital piercings can be functional. ;\)

Trans-gendered falls in the category of mods, in my opinion. When a person is born biologically with parts and wants to transform those parts, this is 'becoming' in a way that isn't Aesthetic.

Very good point.

Also, I think that a head transplant would count as a body modification. What say you?

#112669 - 05/02/17 10:56 AM Re: Tats/ Piercings/Cosmetic Surgery & Other Body Mods [Re: LoneWolf78]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Loc: Virginia
 Originally Posted By: LW
On the other hand, things such as genital piercings can be functional. ;\)
Only if you know how to work it, otherwise they are just Cosmetic Flair.

You aren't born with clothes either.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.021 seconds of which 0.005 seconds were spent on 20 queries. Zlib compression disabled.