Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#110862 - 12/14/16 03:26 PM Re: Signs, Omens and Synchronicity [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
fiendish Offline

Synchronicity is in fact a simplification of reality. A linear progression of time cannot contain all possible coincidences. Thus, correlation does not imply causation. Τhe absence of any causal coherence justifies the coincidence as reasonable continuity. Or as James Bond would say, "shaken, not stirred".

#110877 - 12/16/16 11:34 AM Re: Signs, Omens and Synchronicity [Re: fiendish]
Zeno Offline

I follow the empirical approach to evidence: observation, experience and demonstration. I have had too many (perhaps daily) experiences of synchronicity, which suggests to me there is some truth to this manifestation rather than mere subjective bias.

Regarding the conclusion of fiendish, time is a fiction, a subjective trick of the mind. Reality is broken between the potential and the manifested states, and in the potential state all possibilities co-exist, however only one state of many can be manifested in the material world.

#110886 - 12/17/16 01:02 AM Re: Signs, Omens and Synchronicity [Re: Zeno]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: Zeno
Regarding the conclusion of fiendish, time is a fiction, a subjective trick of the mind. Reality is broken between the potential and the manifested states, and in the potential state all possibilities co-exist, however only one state of many can be manifested in the material world.

We may be straying a bit from the original question of this thread, but I don't think "fiction" is a valid term for the concept of time.

Time is a measurement of change between two objects, along with distance. Indeed it is essentially so. Just saying that two objects have changed position relative to one another is meaninglless without citing the beginning and end of the movement: relative to themselves or to any arbitrary external object (arbitrarily static as a benchmark).

Hence the difference between the odometer and speedometer in a car. The former measures distance only, the latter distance/time relative to an external benchmark (an hour of Earth-time, which is itself against a greater external benchmark and so on.]

Indeed your avatar of "Zeno" brings to mind the Z's celebrated "Paradox" in which Achilles can never catch up with the tortoise. Its fallacy is precisely because if measures the race in terms of distance only, ignoring the time factor.

My personal involvement with this came when I was researching and writing my "Star Wars" story FireForce. I had long been "mildly" upset with space fiction because of its cavalier disregard for actual time/distance expanses. Authors have always gotten around this by gimmicks: warp, jump, hyperspace, etc. [Einstein's errors obviously gave them lots of such sloppiness.]

I got into it with my friend Isaac Asimov, whose Foundation, Robot, etc. stories also cut this corner. So I decided to come up with a theoretically real & practical technique - loosely called "translate channels" - and then to plot all nonlocal space travel in the story according to this device in terms of both time/space.

I did so, but it was quite a chore. In those pre-Internet days I had a huge map of the Milky Way Galaxy spread out on the floor, with hex-scales, and plotted everything out on that. [Having no internal map of Andromeda. I just used MW for it, as mentioned in the story's tech commentary.] It's the first sci-fi story I know with this kind of realism, though I doubt few readers care or even notice. \:\( Oh, well ... I'm not even betting that anyone who started reading this post is still awake!

#110888 - 12/17/16 02:16 AM Re: Signs, Omens and Synchronicity [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
ShadowLover Offline

Loc: Gold Coast, Australia
Zeno and Michael... I agree with both of you. I have experienced far too much synchronicity in my life to write it off simply as coincidence.

As for time... I often use the fallacy of time when arguing for the illusive field of prophecy... Time and empathy.

I have been a reader for 30yrs... Do I think I am better than other readers? Hell no! Which is why I don't go head down and bum up into the career - I am not confident in my ability. Do I think I am any worse? Absolutely not. I feel that much of my success in reading was really due to being empathic rather than being psychic. I feel, if you can tap into a person's energy, which we all do, based on their current status you can map out their past. And from their past, you can predict how they will react to future challenges. Add to this the illusion of time, if you can meld with their energy you can access past/present/future accents... Then if you predict their reactions to such accents you are in essence predicting their future... When really all you are doing is nothing more than reading their probable behaviour.

I often wonder about the significance of the illusion of time... I wish I had a better control over it so I could better sculpt my future - it should be easier than what it seems.

#110889 - 12/17/16 04:44 AM Re: Signs, Omens and Synchronicity [Re: ShadowLover]
CanisMachina42 Offline
veteran member

Loc: CA
General criticism:

I have noticed that what is perceived as a statistical anomaly rarely is anomalous.

I think it's a draw for people to pluck out instances of "special design" and put weight behind it. It's programmed.

It's also an inevitability of statistical chance. Even with life experiences.

Synchronicity is like a spin on the roulette wheel. You'll see the same number hit back to back with regularity, and on occasion 3+ times. Twice is 1444:1. Three times is 54,872:1. Yet it happens.

In a more counterintuitive example there are 365 days in a year, yet on average you'll need only 23 people before two share birthdays.

Counterintuition is mother of synchronicity.

IMO there's nothing to see here.

#111063 - 01/03/17 08:27 PM Re: Signs, Omens and Synchronicity [Re: CanisMachina42]
fiendish Offline

In fact synchronicity is a statistical deviation. Time has really nothing to do with synchronicity. Generally , there is no time, while there are still things happening.

#111284 - 01/22/17 03:53 AM Re: Signs, Omens and Synchronicity [Re: ShadowLover]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

State of mind combined with assigning differentiating values to insignificant events.

People like to have control in their lives. They'll see signs and omens for the day(s) or week(s) to come in things as having a small slip, not finding the clothes they want to wear that day, traffic, and a plethora of other random events.

Interpretation of the random situation being used as a signifier for the unknown future and indirectly influencing the mindset.

It's something funny which can't be helped. It has much to do with the human condition in trying to find patterns and associations.

#111285 - 01/22/17 05:21 AM Re: Signs, Omens and Synchronicity [Re: Dimitri]
JamesSTL Offline

Loc: St. Louis
Remember when Doctor Aquino, PhD resigned from this forum last year, never to return? Me too. Alt.Satanism repeated. At least when those CoS bozos vow to cease and desist there is some fucking follow-through.

Actions speak louder than doctorates based on fantasy theses. Ask Bonewitz about it, or however you spell that hippy 's name.

As for omens, whatever helps the little-brains think they have some kind of grasp on shit. I mean, we don't even understand finite shit like interstellar doppler drift. But that black cat really means something. Sounds real passive to me. Which is fine enough I guess. Not really my preferred operational strategy, but I'm not a one-size-fits-most practitioner anyway.

At least my posts are fun.

Where is Bro Nihil when you need him?

Edit: Arendt was a superior Jew over Jung any day of the week.

Edited by JamesSTL (01/22/17 05:24 AM)

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.035 seconds of which 0.018 seconds were spent on 21 queries. Zlib compression disabled.