Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#111241 - 01/13/17 08:38 AM National Days
ShadowLover Offline

Loc: Gold Coast, Australia
January 26th is Australia Day, and every year the Lamb industry puts out an ad.

This year's ad was no doubt made with political correctness in mind and that is fine... It's actually quite an entertaining ad and they have poked a bit of fun... They've acknowledged the Aborigines as the original inhabitants and have shown our multicultural immigration history which I am happy about. We are all Australian! And they have acknowledged our mateship with our neighbours (New Zealand) which is cool! They even have a float of gays at the end to include the LGBT community. Fine...

But the thing that really fucks me off is the omitting of the phrase "Happy Australia Day" or even the mention of "Australia". FFS! I mean, God forbid we should mention Australia on Australia Day. Somebody in the ad even asks, "Hey Guy's, what's the occasion," and the reply is "Do we need one?" Why wasn't the response, "Australia day!" They could have at least plastered the phrase across the screen at the end. Very sad. \:\(

Anyway, check it out...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGdjX8QqL_Y
(Sorry, I suck at making links)

Anyway, it has kind of backfired with the Aboriginal community because apparently they are offended because they say the lamb industry has exploited their pain of being invaded to sell their product. So if you include them you are damned... If you don't include them you are damned.

Aborigine people call Australia Day, Invasion Day and want the date changed as the 26th of January is the arrival date of the First Fleet. I actually don't mind if we change the day if they would be willing to join in the celebrations (like they used to before the PC phase hit the arena). The fact is, most of the people in the First Fleet were convicts and had no choice. They were dragged to Australia on balls and chains, to a harsh hot land with fucked up looking animals, never to see their families again. They would have preferred to stay in England!

People have considered changing it to the date of the signing of the Federation, which is January 1st. But with New Years Eve, New Years Day, and then they would have to chuck in an extra public holiday for Australia Day - I don't think the government trusts leaving Australians drunk for that long. Lol!

Honestly, I don't care what date they pick. Just pick a date where we can all celebrate and say "Happy Australia Day!" together.

Edited by ShadowLover (01/13/17 08:48 AM)

#111255 - 01/13/17 08:10 PM Re: National Days [Re: ShadowLover]
Czereda Offline

Loc: Poland
 Quote:
Just pick a date where we can all celebrate and say "Happy Australia Day!" together.

I'm not sure what exactly you would like to discuss but here, in Poland, we also don't celebrate our national days together. People form various groups, depending on their political views, organize separate marches or celebrations. On November 11th, the Independence Day, there are some official celebrations but there are also plenty of separate marches, sometimes accompanied with conflicts. The biggest march is organized by Nationalists so those who despise them organize their own marches and there can even be some aggression.

Various disgruntled groups treat national days as an opportunity to express their dissatisfaction with the government. Some presidents tried to to unite people for the time of celebration but it never worked out. I'm not surprised though. People are different so why should they celebrate in the same way? If everyday there is a clash of opinions, then why should everyone think in the same way just on that one special day? That would be artificial, like with the conflicted family that is supposed to reconcile just for Christmas.

Edited by Czereda (01/13/17 08:13 PM)

#111312 - 01/26/17 12:27 AM Re: National Days [Re: Czereda]
ShadowLover Offline

Loc: Gold Coast, Australia
Well, there might be a solution...

Check out the suggested change to Australia's National Day. I support this! I think it is a very Aussie solution. One person suggested that this day might clash with Mothers day on some years, but I don't think that would be a huge problem. If it is, we could move Mother's Day to September in Spring, when Mother's day should be anyway. Lol.

Watch film at bottom of page...
http://junkee.com/jordan-raskopoulos-reckons-change-australia-day-may-8-maaate/94421

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.021 seconds of which 0.003 seconds were spent on 16 queries. Zlib compression disabled.