Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#112240 - 04/09/17 07:17 AM On why the Church of Satan is an oxymoron.
Megatron Offline

Loc: fuckit, some kid cracked my co...
And doubly so.

I figured after the recent sitequake, why not just get back to business as unusual?

First of all, it's not actually a church. No buildings, no church. We get that word from the Greek ecclesia (I hope I spelled that right), which basically meant the home in which the eucharist was being celebrated. A building, in other words. Shit, even scientologists and Mormons have buildings . . .

Secondly, these people are anything but Satanists. Lucifer's rebellion was about freedom of thought. The notion that one can question even the Almighty. And yet all we ever get from these folks is sychophancy. Trust me, that's actually a word. And it basically means you tow the party line 100% or you get disaffiliated. Sound familiar? All roads lead to L.Ron, lol.

I find most of these people to be exactly what Satanism should be opposed to. Weak minds being marched into lockstep by suspicious ideologues.

The Church of Anton LaVey is a much more fitting moniker. (even though they still need a building . . .)

JK

Edited by Megatron (04/09/17 07:24 AM)
Edit Reason: #PeterGilmoreIsActuallyAHipster

Oh, and I spell everything right.

#112246 - 04/09/17 04:12 PM Re: On why the Church of Satan is an oxymoron. [Re: Megatron]
Creatura Noptii Online

Loc: Oregon
Its a good point to bring up once in a while.

I never took the guy too seriously, and its outdated.

Rage Against The Machine does it so much better.

Quote:
I find most of these people to be exactly what Satanism should be opposed to. Weak minds being marched into lockstep by suspicious ideologues.

The Church of Anton LaVey is a much more fitting moniker. (even though they still need a building . . .)

Its always been about the fame and money. The guy had a few nice essays, but never once did I personally see to an interest in membership.

The word phony comes to mind.

Glad I was led here, otherwise I probably would have discarded the whole thing by now, but you folk here at 600C are a fun bunch, and some people even have more to offer on the subject,

saying one takes the initiative to click a few links here and there...

#112247 - 04/09/17 05:43 PM Re: On why the Church of Satan is an oxymoron. [Re: Megatron]
CanisMachina42 Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
 Quote:

Just like the pied piper led rats through the street...

#112270 - 04/10/17 01:29 PM Re: On why the Church of Satan is an oxymoron. [Re: Megatron]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

The main idea behind a "Church" has more to do with "congregation"/"to congregate" than actual worship.

In that sense, the "CoS" does just that. It gathers "like-minded".
Whether or not a person can be seen as "Satanic" is a whole other discussion.

In a certain sense they are "the other". A sort of "elite", only not the kind that I would want to be associated with. They uphold the very very very basic tenets of Satanism but are white-washing themselves way to deep within a global comfort-zone to the extend that the entire play reeks more as "dress-up" or "SUB-culture" instead of a more adversarial "counter-culture" (which they were during LaVey's time and slightly before/during the Satanic panic).

They have things to offer. They make good statements when seen into context. Basic and tight. It depends on where people put their priorities. Some people grow out of it and move on to other things. Disstatisfaction and drama are only pre-cursors and excuses for people moving on and outgrowing/recognizing there's more to have than is being offered.

Edited by Dimitri (04/10/17 01:36 PM)

#112274 - 04/10/17 06:11 PM Re: On why the Church of Satan is an oxymoron. [Re: Megatron]
Czereda Online

Loc: Poland
 Quote:
I figured after the recent sitequake...

The name "Church of Satan" was very much tongue in cheek. It wasn't meant to be taken seriously. Just a light joke on Christianity.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.018 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 18 queries. Zlib compression disabled.