Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#112294 - 04/11/17 02:37 PM "Thief in the Night" and "the Strong Man"
Megatron Offline

Loc: fuckit, some kid cracked my co...
Who would've thunk it? Jesus "Jimminy-Cricket" Christ had a personal experience with what we moderns call a home invasion.

Why do I say this? Simple, two of his prominent parables feature a specific situation that is obviously personal:

"How can anyone enter a strong man's house and carry off his possessions unless he first ties up the strong man? Then he can plunder his house." - Mt 12:29

"But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into." - Mt 24:43

Notice that this is a motif, and not anywhere near a connected homily. Was Jesus that little kid hiding under the bed in an episode of Criminal Minds? Did somebody break in and kill mommy and daddy in a "botched robbery?"

Ahhh, simple food for thought . . .

Oh, and I spell everything right.

#112543 - 04/26/17 12:22 PM Re: "Thief in the Night" and "the Strong Man" [Re: Megatron]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Loc: Virginia
Juxtaposed with:

Originally Posted By: ASL
Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.

How curious it is to complain about entering the strong-man's house and having his goodies stolen.

I suppose that accounts for the difference of opinion between gate-keepers.

Why do they keep letting you in?

#112550 - 04/26/17 05:26 PM Re: "Thief in the Night" and "the Strong Man" [Re: SIN3]
Czereda Offline

Loc: Poland
The dude is no thief and will never be one. At best or at worst (take your pick) he can call in 24/7 S.O.S. Revenge Service, which every dumbass can do, even the one who can't get down to untangling his shoe laces without tying them back in a Gordian Knot.

I see no one complaining, just a few curious about that one melodramatic farewell.

Quote:

How often do you see Xear posting here? Perhaps, this place doesn't mean that much to him personally. One day he might even decide to do away with it altogether without caring for the users' precious turds left here. Who knows?

Edited by Czereda (04/26/17 05:34 PM)

#112554 - 04/26/17 08:51 PM Re: "Thief in the Night" and "the Strong Man" [Re: Megatron]
ShadowLover Offline

Loc: Gold Coast, Australia
 Originally Posted By: Megatron
"How can anyone enter a strong man's house and carry off his possessions unless he first ties up the strong man? Then he can plunder his house." - Mt 12:29

"But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into." - Mt 24:43

I don't take this as literal. Isn't it all parable, a way of warning people about the seduction and subsequent assault of the Devil?

#112560 - 04/27/17 06:04 AM Re: "Thief in the Night" and "the Strong Man" [Re: ShadowLover]
Czereda Offline

Loc: Poland
 Originally Posted By: ShadowLover
Isn't it all parable, a way of warning people about the seduction and subsequent assault of the Devil?

But of course. You're 100% correct even if you don't know why. I'm afraid SD, you have to try something stronger if you wanna follow the Messiah up the Tabor Mountain.

#112562 - 04/27/17 08:58 AM Re: "Thief in the Night" and "the Strong Man" [Re: Czereda]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: Czereda
The dude is no thief and will never be one. At best or at worst (take your pick) he can call in 24/7 S.O.S. Revenge Service, which every dumbass can do, even the one who can't get down to untangling his shoe laces without tying them back in a Gordian Knot.

Your opinion, I don't share it. If he's stolen anything (I wasn't making that comparison, you were.) it's the confidence of an active mod. All accounts have to be approved right?

Quote:
I see no one complaining, just a few curious about that one melodramatic farewell.

Choose to ignore the aired grievances about how this site is run (or not run for that matter) doesn't make them any less present.

Quote:

Quote:

How often do you see Xear posting here?
Rick isn't the only mod that approves accounts to my knowledge. Any green suit can do it. Besides, his posts in the shout box tell us that he could at any time boot him (given the archives) but he never does. It's just banter back and forth, it's not that serious.

Quote:
Perhaps, this place doesn't mean that much to him personally. One day he might even decide to do away with it altogether without caring for the users' precious turds left here. Who knows?
Ok? I don't know why it should. It's just a forum.

#113763 - 08/06/17 02:44 AM Re: "Thief in the Night" and "the Strong Man" [Re: Megatron]
97and107 Offline

Loc: New Mexico
What this parable really means is we should practice Shibari. Know thy enemy...as jebus put it.
#113833 - 08/10/17 09:56 PM Re: "Thief in the Night" and "the Strong Man" [Re: 97and107]
Vigilia_Matutina Offline
stranger

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
The parable is calling to watchmen and men who are caught off-guard by a great calamity. In ancient Rome, the people were caught up in excessive Hedonism and they didn't see the Huns coming. In ancient Greece, the people were caught up in excessive bickering and they didn't see the empire collapsing then splitting off. This can apply spiritually, or in any other case.

#113877 - 08/12/17 08:23 PM Re: "Thief in the Night" and "the Strong Man" [Re: Vigilia_Matutina]
fiendish Offline

Rome has survived, Greece has survived and the Huns have survived too. So , what can I say? A win-win situation. One must be alert all of the time.

#113955 - 08/15/17 06:03 AM Re: "Thief in the Night" and "the Strong Man" [Re: fiendish]
97and107 Offline

Loc: New Mexico
 Originally Posted By: fiendish
Rome has survived, Greece has survived and the Huns have survived too. So , what can I say? A win-win situation. One must be alert all of the time.

Usually what is meant by that is that their empires did not survive. Only peculiar nerds really follow Greek or Roman culture as it stood in the ancient times. Until a few months ago, Hellenic religious rites were not even recognized by the Greek government. They're totally disconnected from their heritage, it just isn't the same thing.

#113960 - 08/15/17 09:31 AM Re: "Thief in the Night" and "the Strong Man" [Re: 97and107]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Would you consider the Vatican in Rome a surviving Empire? By all accounts, its not a relic of history. It remains a survivor of it.

The Hellenized period of Greece is nothing to be celebrated. Can't say I blame them.

#113987 - 08/16/17 09:08 PM Re: "Thief in the Night" and "the Strong Man" [Re: 97and107]
fiendish Offline

Well, actually both empires survived. I cannot drag you out of that black hole of history you're being drawn in. You have the right to be mistaken. And you owe this right to whom?

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.043 seconds of which 0.018 seconds were spent on 25 queries. Zlib compression disabled.