Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#113217 - 06/15/17 02:48 AM Re: Due process [Re: Creatura Noptii]
samowens84 Offline

Know a case for a friend of mine in Mississippi where my friends niece was shot by her boyfriend. This boy is well connected and my friend has been told it is likely he will get away from it because of the family's wealth and political connections.

Wealthy people can commit vehicular manslaughter and provide a defense called "afluenza", essentially that being rich means youre not responsible for your actions and when a well to do white guy can rape an unconscious woman behind a dumpster and only get three months in prison because he looks like the kid next door. Justice does not exist. "Strong will inherit the earth and the weak shall inherit the yoke." Funny that the legal system seems to provide the literal truth of this statement.

Edited by samowens84 (06/15/17 02:55 AM)

#113221 - 06/15/17 11:22 AM Re: Due process [Re: samowens84]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Loc: Virginia
You don't even have to be wealthy, just well connected. It's not what you've done, it's who you know. Relationships between judges, lawyers and cops can often work in your favor; if you find yourself charged with a crime. Anyone with these connections know how thins actually work, vs. how they should ideally work.

#113222 - 06/15/17 12:10 PM Re: Due process [Re: SIN3]
samowens84 Offline

Originally Posted By: SIN3
You don't even have to be wealthy, just well connected. It's not what you've done, it's who you know. Relationships between judges, lawyers and cops can often work in your favor; if you find yourself charged with a crime. Anyone with these connections know how thins actually work, vs. how they should ideally work.

Absolutely, and thats true anywhere. Ive gotten around the medical industry because of some of my relationships. Same thing with school. Had a professor tell me that I can get away with murder because people like me! Lol I guess in some instances that could be a literal truth. And more to your point, I'm not particularly wealthy.

#113225 - 06/15/17 02:10 PM Re: Due process [Re: Creatura Noptii]
XiaoGui17 Offline
veteran member

Loc: Austin, TX
 Originally Posted By: Creatura Noptii
Justice system:

Whoever pays the most.

Fuck You.

Adjourned.

You'd be surprised.

I've dealt with a lot of high-grossing, hot-shot lawyers. And often, they're incompetent goobers. They try to intimidate based on their status, but a lot of the time they're shooting from the hip and haven't the foggiest what they're actually doing. It's more a game of chicken than a battle of wits. Just because you can shell out several grand for a lawyer doesn't mean he's worth it.

I've also worked cases with really brilliant attorneys whose client was a lost cause and just couldn't be saved no matter how sharp their lawyer was, and the absolute best their lawyer could do for them was damage control.

Money helps, and lawyers help, to be sure. But it's no guarantee. It's like cancer. Even if you can afford the best treatment money can buy, sometimes you're still fucked.

#113227 - 06/15/17 02:51 PM Re: Due process [Re: XiaoGui17]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Loc: Virginia
 Originally Posted By: V
Just because you can shell out several grand for a lawyer doesn't mean he's worth it.

Also, depending on the charge - you don't even need a lawyer at all. I've seen dolts spend upwards of $1500 a pop for a simple traffic violation. A sheep with backup is still a fucking sheep.

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds of which 0.011 seconds were spent on 18 queries. Zlib compression disabled.