Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#113022 - 06/04/17 05:42 PM Punching The Elderly
CanisMachina42 Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Synopsis:

I went down to the lobby vending machines at 1:45 in the morning to get a beverage. Down there is some old bitch, probably 70 or so. The initial creepy smile was easy enough to ignore.

"What's this bitch after?", I thought.   Then as I waited for the machine to inexplicably reboot, I heard, "Can you help me with the machine, I want those fritos." I tried to ignore it, but the thing just say stood there and stared at me with some half retarded intentially helpless look...

"You know what? I really can't help you if can't figure out a vending machine."

What followed were a string of expletives, and just utter shock that someone just said that to them..

This is nothing more in the surface then, "This is what an asshole I am, but is it? 

Sort of, but I have to make it a topic somehow.

There is a privilege that certain folk have to play on societal characters such as "The helpless old lady" (or 40 years younger damsel in distress) which subconsciously persuades people through the pedestal the elderly are suppose to garner.

So the question is, Do you too indulge the pleasure that is depriving an old manipulative bitch her way or write it off as, "help those that can help themselves"?

#113023 - 06/04/17 05:51 PM Re: Punching The Elderly [Re: CanisMachina42]
samowens84 Offline
pledge

Originally Posted By: CanisMachina42
Synopsis:

I went down to the lobby vending machines at 1:45 in the morning to get a beverage. Down there is some old bitch, probably 70 or so. The initial creepy smile was easy enough to ignore.

"What's this bitch after?", I thought.   Then as I waited for the machine to inexplicably reboot, I heard, "Can you help me with the machine, I want those fritos." I tried to ignore it, but the thing just say stood there and stared at me with some half retarded intentially helpless look...

"You know what? I really can't help you if can't figure out a vending machine."

What followed were a string of expletives, and just utter shock that someone just said that to them..

This is nothing more in the surface then, "This is what an asshole I am, but is it? 

Sort of, but I have to make it a topic somehow.

There is a privilege that certain folk have to play on societal characters such as "The helpless old lady" (or 40 years younger damsel in distress) which subconsciously persuades people through the pedestal the elderly are suppose to garner.

So the question is, Do you too indulge the pleasure that is depriving an old manipulative bitch her way or write it off as, "help those that can help themselves"?

Exactly what would it have cost you to help her with the fritos? What did you gain by being rude? Not judging, just I go through the social niceties on a cost/analysis basis. Sometimes being the "good guy" can win social capital, or what have you. Or, hell forbid, you might actually enjoy indulging in someones need for attention. What are you after here? There is no right or wrong answer. Seems like a mundane event where you were in a crappy mood and didnt feel like being bothered. No guilt from me. Not my problem.

#113024 - 06/04/17 06:01 PM Re: Punching The Elderly [Re: samowens84]
CanisMachina42 Offline

Rephrased question:

Do certain people, due to who they are, escape criticism for being a psychic vampire simply because society conditions behavior like "respect your elders"?

But you hit on the, "Good person" buzz, and I will extend that to the inverse gratification derived from rude behavior. Is it sadism or just what is deserved?

#113025 - 06/04/17 06:09 PM Re: Punching The Elderly [Re: CanisMachina42]
samowens84 Offline
pledge

is it sadism or just what is deserved?

Why not both? I have a compassionate side that Ill indulge, but I can also be quite sadistic. People can bring either side out of me. "Respect your elders" is a value judgement that only you can make. Society deeming it so doesnt make it any less satanic if thats one's inclination, and neither is the alternative. If you got a sadistic thrill, then own it, and enjoy it. It doesnt exlcude the fact they might have deserved it.

What I dont like is that people feel entitled to my kindness. My kindness is a gift, and not an obligation. Sounds like she was kind of an ingrate.

Edited by samowens84 (06/04/17 06:14 PM)

#113026 - 06/04/17 07:37 PM Re: Punching The Elderly [Re: samowens84]
ShadowLover Offline

Loc: Gold Coast, Australia
Lot's of modern shit freaks me out. Maybe not a vending machine, but other things do. I was in a hospital carpark the other week and when I had to put my ticket in to pay the due amount the machine kept spitting it out, and I started panicking. I asked the people behind me to help and they did. Sometimes I can be an anxious person, but part of that anxiousness was not wanting to hold up the people behind me - if I was there alone I would have been less anxious. As it turned out, I wasn't doing anything wrong - it was just the machine chucking a hissy. The service attendant had to come, but then because I was wound up by then I did try to stick my credit card in the wrong hole. Lol.

I just laugh about it - I'm not a perfect person yet and if the worse thing I do is fuck up technology on occasion than the world can just get over it.

Technology changes so fast. When this lady was young there would have been a human vendor serving her the coffee. Everything is automated these days... The jobs of the gate and road toll attendants is gone. Remember when a man used to stick fuel in your tank and clean your windscreen? Another job gone... They may have been boring as bat shit jobs, but they put food on somebody's table. I also hate recordings on telephones... Press one for accounting, etc. I stand in the background screaming Operator, Operator, and then a recording comes over the top asking me, Do you wish to speak to an operator. Yes!!! I prefer to talk to people. Honestly, with the length of some of the recordings you have to wade through, it is quicker to speak to the operator anyway.

But I understand what you mean - some people won't ever help themselves. I got asked to read Tarot cards at a carnival the other night, and one girl came in and started dumping her problems on us and so we moved her into a chair and made her pay for the privilege. At the end of it she said that I didn't tell her anything she didn't know which was probably true. Firstly she wouldn't shut up and I had trouble getting a word in, and secondly when I did make suggestions she had excuses why such wasn't possible. Nothing was possible, everything was hopeless - woe is me... Some people don't want to help themselves... They want to be the victim. It took years but eventually I learned the value of my own time. I had another man who was helplessly in love with his hooker and was frustrated with me when I wouldn't give him the future that he wanted. In this case, I think people want their ideas validated so that they have someone to blame when it doesn't happen the way they planned. He even informed me that his other psychic said it was going to happen, hoping to get me to change my story - then why did he come to see me? I have found reading for people often resembles an unqualified counselling session, but as such I had to learn not to take on other people's shit, and to properly value my time and energy. It was for this reason that I sent one of my clients to somebody else I knew. He had a pattern of hooking up with women that used him but never returned his devotion and would get frustrated when I didn't tell him what he wanted to hear. He was hard because I knew him personally (not closely) so I allowed professional lines to be pushed - mate's rates was in play; plus he worked in sales and was as pushy as fuck! When the pattern started repeating, I thought, I'm outta here. I'm not doing this again. And I sent him to somebody else who would charge him what he cost - he still sees her regularly.

Edited by ShadowLover (06/04/17 07:44 PM)

#113027 - 06/04/17 09:26 PM Re: Punching The Elderly [Re: CanisMachina42]
Czereda Offline

Loc: Poland
 Quote:
Is it sadism or just what is deserved?

I'm rather suspicious of people who try too hard to prove to themselves and others how sadistic and assholish they are. It usually smells of frustration or, worse, of good old fear. Puffed up fur comes with the defense mode, nothing more, nothing less.

I value a pragmatic approach to life. Live and let live, and do your best to avoid being screwed. One day, my neighbor's and friend's daughter asked me to translate a 30 page sociology essay for a ridiculously low price. I said "no" in spite of her begging. Next time, her mom came to my door imploring me to help her daughter. I said "no" again, not because I had a shitty day or because I wanted to prove to myself how "sadistic" I was but because I didn't feel like working for free or nearly for free. Translating texts is time and effort consuming and I can tell more or less when people are lying. She told me it was her daughter's homework but no English teacher in his right mind would ask high school kids to translate a 30-page academic essay. Her daughter needed it either for her older buddy or boyfriend dunno. I didn't dig too deep into that, I only don't take kindly to people fucking around and role-playing stupid.

Quote:
Do certain people, due to who they are, escape criticism for being a psychic vampire simply because society conditions behavior like "respect your elders"?

I don't think the elders are somehow a privileged and respected class of people. Perhaps, it used to be like that in the past, but now not so much. I took care of my grandma for quite a long time until the day she died and now I work at the nursing home for the elderly. Those people are like abandoned animals, at least most of them. They are left there to slowly rot and die as if the society shunned the sad picture of disease, weakness and death.

Any person can be a psychic vampire and try to use you. Not every request for a favor is manipulation but even that isn't as important as your feelings. Do you feel like doing it? Is that beneficial to you? Do you enjoy doing that? I don't always bother to investigate the motivations of others. I can hold the door for an old lady, a kid and a cat who sometimes wants to get into the corridor but can't (I live in the block of flats). They might have an agenda too, especially the cat. "Muahaha, stupid bitch, I pwned her again" - this is probably what he thinks every time I let him in.

Edited by Czereda (06/04/17 09:29 PM)

#113029 - 06/05/17 10:59 AM Re: Punching The Elderly [Re: CanisMachina42]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Loc: Virginia
 Originally Posted By: CM

I can think of a dozen other examples of this sort of behavior that attempts to sway one's perspective.

I don't think it's an indulgence to assess the situation and determine that the citizen is playing on ageism to get what they want. Ageism is accessible to anyone, young or old. I gauge it based on how good at it they are, and reward them if I feel froggy.

If I don't feel as though they've been effective, I don't give them shit. I don't even acknowledge the attempt. I can play daft air-head as good as the next person. "What? Did you say something?" Then just walk off.

Ideally, we *want* people to say "I just don't feel like putting forth the effort, would you?" Rarely happens though.

I've never catered to societal notions about the so-called "Elders" of any given community, so it's rarely a bother to me when an elderly person demands my assistance. I guess that's why I wouldn't consider it indulgent if it's your default MO.

#113153 - 06/11/17 12:51 AM Re: Punching The Elderly [Re: CanisMachina42]
fiendish Offline

That's sick. Help the poor lady. She really doesn't understand how the fucking venting machine works. She really is helpless. The one who is manipulative here is you.
But, then, who really gives a fuck? So, the real question is, who cares about her?

#113158 - 06/11/17 05:27 AM Re: Punching The Elderly [Re: fiendish]
Czereda Offline

Loc: Poland
He won't help the poor lady because he's a "sociopath." Or rather, this is the image of himself he wants to project here.

#113172 - 06/11/17 05:17 PM Re: Punching The Elderly [Re: Czereda]
CanisMachina42 Offline

Absolutely. Psychopath works too.

I just hope it is a display of the "high ethical standard and integrity", apparently necessary to be awarded The John Nash Government Grant.

#113265 - 06/20/17 11:00 AM Re: Punching The Elderly [Re: Czereda]
Magicka Dispelga Offline
pledge

Originally Posted By: Czereda
 Quote:
Is it sadism or just what is deserved?

I'm rather suspicious of people who try too hard to prove to themselves and others how sadistic and assholish they are. It usually smells of frustration or, worse, of good old fear. Puffed up fur comes with the defense mode, nothing more, nothing less.

I value a pragmatic approach to life. Live and let live, and do your best to avoid being screwed. One day, my neighbor's and friend's daughter asked me to translate a 30 page sociology essay for a ridiculously low price. I said "no" in spite of her begging. Next time, her mom came to my door imploring me to help her daughter. I said "no" again, not because I had a shitty day or because I wanted to prove to myself how "sadistic" I was but because I didn't feel like working for free or nearly for free. Translating texts is time and effort consuming and I can tell more or less when people are lying. She told me it was her daughter's homework but no English teacher in his right mind would ask high school kids to translate a 30-page academic essay. Her daughter needed it either for her older buddy or boyfriend dunno. I didn't dig too deep into that, I only don't take kindly to people fucking around and role-playing stupid.

Quote:

I don't think the elders are somehow a privileged and respected class of people. Perhaps, it used to be like that in the past, but now not so much. I took care of my grandma for quite a long time until the day she died and now I work at the nursing home for the elderly. Those people are like abandoned animals, at least most of them. They are left there to slowly rot and die as if the society shunned the sad picture of disease, weakness and death.

Any person can be a psychic vampire and try to use you. Not every request for a favor is manipulation but even that isn't as important as your feelings. Do you feel like doing it? Is that beneficial to you? Do you enjoy doing that? I don't always bother to investigate the motivations of others. I can hold the door for an old lady, a kid and a cat who sometimes wants to get into the corridor but can't (I live in the block of flats). They might have an agenda too, especially the cat. "Muahaha, stupid bitch, I pwned her again" - this is probably what he thinks every time I let him in.

I don't get why you're bringing that up when you were so dismissive toward my post talking about the way needy people can be treated.

#113733 - 08/04/17 02:34 AM Re: Punching The Elderly [Re: CanisMachina42]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

I cannot deprive pleasure from people asking a favour and refusing them. They will get their fill anyway when they manage to find another sucker to do it for them.

Not many roles that can be filled in society. Merely hapless characters with a personal preference of non-association.

The proverbial and silent "go fuck yourself".

#114163 - 08/26/17 10:03 PM Re: Punching The Elderly [Re: CanisMachina42]
Carcosa Offline
stranger

Loc: Chicago
Synopsis:

I went down to the lobby vending machines at 1:45 in the morning ....

So, some little old lady smiled at you and asked you for help and somehow this makes her a "manipulative...half retarded.. old bitch?"

You know sometimes a cigar is just a cigar so how about next time you man up, stop being a whiny little bitch and take 30 seconds to help an old lady?

#114165 - 08/26/17 11:53 PM Re: Punching The Elderly [Re: Carcosa]
CanisMachina42 Offline

Tail wagging the dog of transferrance...

And if that doesn't work, fuck yourself.

#114167 - 08/27/17 02:50 AM Re: Punching The Elderly [Re: CanisMachina42]
CanisMachina42 Offline

On a side note, and mostly because this is a fucktarded troll thread, I have noticed as I get older I forget things I used to know. For example, the correct spelling of transference.

Luckily my inept spelling is offset by general apathy and greatly diminished content quality.

This thread served its psychdramatic purpose by being posted, responses were negligible.

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.028 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.