Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#11320 - 09/09/08 03:05 PM I shook the hands of a murderer this weekend.
I.C. Graves Offline
stranger

So these last few days were crazy. Saturday night I went to my friends house for our weekly poker game and one of our older friends was there. We used to play poker with him and his old lady for a long time. I kind of hate to say it but she was such a bitch that we stopped playing at their house a couple of years ago.

Anyway, it had been a while since I saw Larry. I shook his hand, which is kind of out of character for me. He seemed to be in a good mood and we all sat there bullshitting with the local police chief. It's a small close knit community where pretty much everyone knows everyone. We tried to get Larry to sit down with us and join the tournament but he said something along the lines of "naw, she'll be sleeping when I get home anyway, so I'll just head back home".

I wasn't aware that they were having problems, and I wasn't aware that he was on a 3 day binge at that time. There's no doubt that they have had problems on and off for several years. They have been together for at least the 17 years that their kid has been around. Larry always seemed to be in a good mood, outgoing, talkative and helpful. Jewel, on the other hand, the majority of time was an obnoxious loudmouth, hateful and hurtful bitch. She always had something bad to say and rarely showed a nice side to anyone.

On Monday around 2:00 in the afternoon something finally snapped. Apparently Larry stabbed Jewel repeatedly in the chest. She ran out of the house and died in the middle of the street in front of some neighborhood children. The police chief, who had just been hanging out with us a couple of night ago, attempted to revive her but could not help. He cuffed Larry and was left to deal with everything before anyone else showed up.

Now their son has lost his mother and father in one moment of madness. He has already had behavioral problems and there's no telling what will become of him now. I have mixed emotions about the entire affair. In hindsight, of course, it's easy to say that they should have just split up and gone about their lives. As I stated before, he was always a nice guy when I saw him but I wasn't aware of his binge drinking other than when his brother died a couple of years ago. The news made her out to be a saint, of course, but everyone knows better. She was not the kind of person you would want to hang out with but she did not deserve to die.

His 5 day binge has ended and I wonder if he knows what he did yet? She's dead. He's as good as dead.

#11322 - 09/09/08 03:33 PM Re: I shook the hands of a murderer this weekend. [Re: I.C. Graves]
Impius Offline
pledge

Loc: Lille, France
What a story... as the title of your topic says, it must be a strange feeling for you that you saw him (and the police chief) just before it all happens.

Well, of course they should have broke up before such a thing happens... but to some people it does not look possible, because they're afraid of breaking the habits, or because they've been educated like that. Sometimes humans can't stand their own system anymore and go crazy... Sad, sad stuff. I hope the son will be alright.

#11361 - 09/10/08 04:52 PM Banjos, Beer, and zero self respect. [Re: I.C. Graves]
delusion Offline
pledge

Loc: hawaii
Stories like this hit me in such a strange place. (& yes believe it or not I have heard stories that resembled this very closely, with varying levels of severity)

I think the reason that it knocks me back so is that I am so anti-drama. I lead a relatively peaceful existence because I don't enter into situations that bring me stress.

I don't date or spend time with idiots or assholes. I don't allow negativity to enter my world. All of this because I know that it will lead to a place of despair and my time is far to valuable.

I am sorrowful for the loss of life and for the child's loss. However on the flip side of that I am almost angry that people can be so stupid. Where was the sense of responsibility for the child? Where was the sense of responsibility for his own well being?

...There was none.

Things like this should be a reminder to us all to not be so stupid with regards to whom it is we are spending our time with and how we live our lives. Expanding on that in a "satanic" framework, we as sentient beings have the capability to create our own world and have a duty to ourselves to do so. Living 17 years with some nut bag who has you so wound up that you see no other option other then stabbing her in the chest is a perfectly pathetic example of not taking due care with his own life.

Since you have offered this up for discussion I have to take a hard line on this and say the true crime is the child’s sadness.

She was obviously some small town loony and he was clearly too weak to leave her behind and the world might do better without their presence.

So what are you doing to ease the child's pain? Maybe dedicate the winnings of the next tournament to his education?

Delusion

#11397 - 09/11/08 12:26 PM Re: Banjos, Beer, and zero self respect. [Re: delusion]
I.C. Graves Offline
stranger

This is what a co-dependent relationship leads to in extreme cases. The thing is that if they were left to their own devices I wouldn't doubt that something like this still would have happened. Either the same situation (him killing her) or someone else deliberately harming her or another binge ending in chaos for him. It's sad to say that she was apparently trying to get him off the booze. It was a complicated scenario that I won't go into further but it just goes to show how smaller problems lead to the biggest one yet.
#11639 - 09/20/08 06:49 AM Re: I shook the hands of a murderer this weekend. [Re: I.C. Graves]
Sapphire-Kain Offline
stranger

Wow, I just think it's so crazy to think about stuff like that happening to people you know, especially just after a pretty typical night with them. It's a shame what can happen when stress gets the better of you.

Poor kid, I hope he turns out alright.

#13114 - 10/21/08 02:36 PM Re: I shook the hands of a murderer this weekend. [Re: Sapphire-Kain]
Marilyn Offline
stranger

Reminds me of when i met Tod Salvador, or Trip Eisen, as he was known by, before the whole thing with the sex scandal happened and he had to go to jail.
that was kinda freaky.

HS!

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.019 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 19 queries. Zlib compression disabled.