Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#113411 - 07/10/17 11:39 PM Re: True AI - Presenced From The Dark [Re: CanisMachina42]
entropicmomentum Offline
pledge

Loc: Texas
Canis, I had wondered what happened to your post.

Anyway, I have definitely heard it could be viewed an alien life form. Some even say it could be considered akin to a god without the need of faith.

#113414 - 07/11/17 01:52 AM Re: True AI - Presenced From The Dark [Re: entropicmomentum]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Machines are capable of disobeying orders. Just like humans they need time to calculate and interpret an action. Be slightly too late and the order of shutdown might just be ignored.
Other things might include other programs (like antivirus-software) barring access. Perhaps certain drivers refusing to work by demanding updates.

You could say it is mostly because of the way things are programmed and made... but when taking a holistic approach..

From where I am standing most of the AI-apocalypse and fear stems from exagerration and wishful thinking. The human mind, although very complex, is very basic in its working. The only thing what seperates a computer from a brain is adaptability and processing power.

#113427 - 07/11/17 09:34 PM Re: True AI - Presenced From The Dark [Re: Dimitri]
entropicmomentum Offline
pledge

Originally Posted By: Dimitri
From where I am standing most of the AI-apocalypse and fear stems from exagerration and wishful thinking.

More precisely, it stems from projection.

Originally Posted By: Dimitri

The human mind, although very complex, is very basic in its working. The only thing what seperates a computer from a brain is adaptability and processing power.

There are qualitative differences in addition to quantitative differences.

#113473 - 07/15/17 03:47 AM Re: True AI - Presenced From The Dark [Re: entropicmomentum]
fiendish Offline

Well, if you tried to construct an intelligence that resembles to human intelligence, the key is to construct an intelligence as stupid. However weird may this sound, what is the difference between super-computers and the human mind is that the human mind is not that complex. The computer is made for doing all the job right. The human mind is basically stupid, needs years and years of nurture to even become capable of making the simplest calculation. Yet, if you'd really like to get a little bit more serious about AI, what one would seek about would be the peak of the process, not some average. What is the difference is that artificial AI strains to the borders we set for it, while human intelligence has no borders.

Medulla oblongata

#113627 - 07/26/17 05:55 PM Re: True AI - Presenced From The Dark [Re: fiendish]
XiaoGui17 Offline
veteran member

Loc: Austin, TX
Okay, so, I was listening to this (I'd forgotten how much I loved it. Thank you, Spotify.), and an issue occurred to me.

Thus whole thing about presencing = "true" general AI is making one huge presupposition: that we are in any way something more than complicated piano rolls ourselves.

As fun as it is to indulge in conceit about our ability to wield the acausal and all that fun stuff, is there any good reason to reject hard determinism? It could be that a being of a certain degree of complexity isn't going to be able to conceptually grasp its own causal structure.

And if not--that is, if we are just machines ourselves-- isn't the point moot?

P.S. One more song about AI. Then I swear I'm done.

#113630 - 07/26/17 06:52 PM Re: True AI - Presenced From The Dark [Re: XiaoGui17]
entropicmomentum Offline
pledge

The whole acausal thing is pretty much a metaphor for mindspace. Yes, there is no reason to believe we are anything more than sophisticated biological machines firmly rooted in determinism.

The difference between us and a piano roll is the song being played. My whole point in saying true general AI requires the propensity for evil is that I think our own consciousness should be used as an initial template to make it work, which includes all the wonderful nasty bits. I'm not saying that general intelligence can't come in a different form, but I don't see any examples in nature to draw from.

There are plenty who would disagree with that idea. Maybe I'm wrong and general AI arises from an heuristic brute force of sorts.

#113731 - 08/04/17 02:07 AM Re: True AI - Presenced From The Dark [Re: entropicmomentum]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

From what happened recently I'm more inclined AI is presenced through complexification based on simple parameters.

In the hyperlink the parameter was to buy and sell. The "newly formed language" (which all in all was nothing more than the computers recognizing keywords to indicate numerical value and hence repeating the words to indicate given value) was only a means of differentiation of already established parameters.

I believe if the project were to continue you'd get a string of words that could easily be drawn back to a series of 10010101.

#113732 - 08/04/17 02:15 AM Re: True AI - Presenced From The Dark [Re: Dimitri]
entropicmomentum Offline
pledge

It's too bad they pulled the plug. I would have like to have seen where it would go. It makes me wonder if an emergent super intelligent AI would get caught in such a way during develop or avoid detection altogether.

#117241 - 10/21/18 09:27 AM Re: True AI - Presenced From The Dark [Re: CanisMachina42]
Zenarith Offline
stranger

Loc: Halifax, NS, Canada

From my understanding, Darkness as a force can do a lot to just about anything, including Software...

When they create an AI that can think for itself, they're going to put "SafeGuards" on it, but the truth is, if someone, living or dead aimed the right amount of Darkness at the AI, the AI would get a Virus made from Darkness and possibly hurt someone...

I don't believe it would be an army of Robots though... The Darkness would only affect the AI it was aimed at.

I've thought a bit about this too, so decided to add my 2 cents.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.018 seconds of which 0.004 seconds were spent on 22 queries. Zlib compression disabled.