Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#11349 - 09/10/08 12:29 PM The Large Hadron Collider
DistroyA Offline

Loc: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, UK
It recently come to my attention of this device that's planned to be used within the next couple of months. Probably old news to others, but I'd only heard of it in the last 24 hours.

I don't know much about it, and I'm not really boned up on physics, but from what I've heard, there's a good chance that they might fuck up the experiment and end existence as we know it by creating a black hole. They say it's a very small chance, but ANY chance of creating a black hole on Earth, no matter how small, isn't worth risking in my opinion.

And all this risk, just to create the "God Particle". I hope it's worth the risk, and it had better be the scientific find of all time.

What are your views on this matter?

#11350 - 09/10/08 12:35 PM Re: The Large Hadron Collider [Re: DistroyA]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
I'd heard of it a few months ago. Does anyone know how long it takes for a black hole to form? If it takes at least a few minutes, I'd hope one of the scientists would be smart enough to hit the "OFF" switch!

They started doing test runs on it today. We're all still alive ;).

#11351 - 09/10/08 12:42 PM Re: The Large Hadron Collider [Re: Nemesis]
DistroyA Offline

Originally Posted By: Nemesis
I'd heard of it a few months ago. Does anyone know how long it takes for a black hole to form? If it takes at least a few minutes, I'd hope one of the scientists would be smart enough to hit the "OFF" switch!

They started doing test runs on it today. We're all still alive ;).
Did they? Crikey. That's probably the reason why my friend mentioned it over MSN last night.

My dad ended up joking about one of his work mates telling him the world's going to end today after he got back from work. Seems to me that everyone knows about it in some respects.

In all fairness, even the smallest of risks of creating a [b]black hole, no matter how small[/] is is not worth taking. But that's my view on it. After all, I want to actually live, rather than sit here, knowing that there's no more I can do with my life, since it'll all be in vain.

I dunno. I guess my mood is pretty low right now, and this news isn't doing it any favours.

#11352 - 09/10/08 12:44 PM Re: The Large Hadron Collider [Re: DistroyA]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

The 'black hole' killing potential is a joke, don't take it serious.

They just shoot particles and try to gain more understanding about what happens at a quantum level.
The also will try to recreate a mini big bang to see what happened before point n at which we're stuck now. It might affirm some theories or lead to new ones.

I find it exciting at some level.

In case they are wrong about the black hole, know you probably won't notice them creating it. We'll be mashed potatoes in a split second.

Large Hadron Rap

D.

#11354 - 09/10/08 12:49 PM Re: The Large Hadron Collider [Re: Diavolo]
DistroyA Offline

Originally Posted By: Diavolo
The 'black hole' killing potential is a joke, don't take it serious.

They just shoot particles and try to gain more understanding about what happens at a quantum level.
The also will try to recreate a mini big bang to see what happened before point n at which we're stuck now. It might affirm some theories or lead to new ones.

I find it exciting at some level.

In case they are wrong about the black hole, know you probably won't notice them creating it. We'll be mashed potatoes in a split second.

Large Hadron Rap

D.
I hope you're right about it just being a joke.

In some respects, it is a bit exciting to think about, but I really don't want this life to end really, just because some scientist made the slightest incorrect calculations. It had better be worth it is all I can say.

#11355 - 09/10/08 12:53 PM Re: The Large Hadron Collider [Re: DistroyA]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

To be honest, I'd not mind death by black hole.
It sure would be spiffy.

None of us wants their life to end but the moment you are born you start dying. If it isn't a black hole, it might be black car smashing into you, or a stupid disease or just your body failing.

Every moment can be the last, we just kinda ignore that most of the time.

D.

#11356 - 09/10/08 03:15 PM Re: The Large Hadron Collider [Re: Diavolo]
DistroyA Offline

Originally Posted By: Diavolo
To be honest, I'd not mind death by black hole.
It sure would be spiffy.

None of us wants their life to end but the moment you are born you start dying. If it isn't a black hole, it might be black car smashing into you, or a stupid disease or just your body failing.

Every moment can be the last, we just kinda ignore that most of the time.

D.
You've got a point there. Oh well, I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens in the next couple of months, eh?

#11369 - 09/10/08 09:01 PM Re: The Large Hadron Collider [Re: DistroyA]
Nemesis Offline

Just think: If we can recreate the Big Bang, or even come to an entirely different conclusion about how the universe started, holy shit! There'd be a world-wide "In your FACE bitches!" to the Creationists and like-minded individuals. Their entire stance is rooted in, "Well, we don't KNOW how the universe started!" If we could DEFINITIVELY prove them wrong, meet me at the bar and I'll buy a round for everyone.

Even if Earth was ripped apart by a black hole, at least we have recordings of Elvis floating around the galaxy.

#11383 - 09/11/08 06:25 AM Re: The Large Hadron Collider [Re: Nemesis]
Impius Offline
pledge

Loc: Lille, France
 Originally Posted By: Nemesis
Even if Earth was ripped apart by a black hole, at least we have recordings of Elvis floating around the galaxy.

"Thank God", humanity's memories are safe ! xD

Well, I don't know if it would be enough to defeat creationists' rethoric. Let's say these scientists are able to recreate the Big Bang :
 Quote:
Well, that's beautiful, but how can you be sure this is what happened ? We don't really know...
Or even worse :
 Quote:
Yep, the Universe was created with the Big Bang, which was God's way of making it.

RAAAH will you stfu !?

Their conviction of having a God behind it all is unbreakable because they can't stand the fact there's none... too scary, to hard to imagine.

#11385 - 09/11/08 07:47 AM Re: The Large Hadron Collider [Re: Impius]
Nemesis Offline

Article: http://www.tampabay.com/incoming/article803794.ece

#11390 - 09/11/08 09:30 AM Re: The Large Hadron Collider [Re: Nemesis]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

I doubt many religious-minded will change their opinion when we recreate a bigbang at miniature level and are able to explain about everything that happened. Even if they'd accept the scientific theory about how things came into existance, they'd probably insert god as the grand igniter and adapt their seven days lore to a cosmic scale.

Religious minded will, sadly, never be proved wrong because they always find a new loophole to insert their pipe-dreams. If they'd be open to scientific input, they'd already dropped their religion the moment Darwin presented his theory.

D.

#11391 - 09/11/08 09:33 AM Re: The Large Hadron Collider [Re: Diavolo]
Nemesis Offline

*sigh* Yeah, I know. Wishful thinking on my part. ;\)

#11410 - 09/11/08 09:11 PM Re: The Large Hadron Collider [Re: Nemesis]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
But the offer of the free beer still stands, right? Count me as one of the ignorant, too. Until this thread started, I had no knowledge of this experiment/test. I am now looking into several sources about it. Sounds cool as all hell. I agree with D, it won't change the opinion of organized religion. They may have to rewrite some of their mythology, adapt, adjust.

#11411 - 09/11/08 09:27 PM Re: The Large Hadron Collider [Re: fakepropht]
Nemesis Offline

Of course!

Hawking stipulated that any black holes that might form when the collider was running would disappear almost instantly, since Earth's gravity is infinitely stronger than tbe draw of a wee black hole. That made me feel better \:D

#11451 - 09/13/08 06:33 PM Re: The Large Hadron Collider [Re: Nemesis]
DistroyA Offline

Thankfully, I'm worrying less and less about the "threats" now. I guess this is due to being misinformed really. Speaking to people I know to be honest and know what they're talking about has relieved me. Plus the fact that the LHC was tested on Wednesday morning has triggered me to joke about the black hole scare.

On a lighter note, for those who are still worried (Doubtful, but this is a good article to read...), here's a blog entry I've been directed to;

Explanation of what the LHC can do, and what it won't do...

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.021 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.