Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1139 - 10/17/07 09:20 AM Brain / Video Game Interface
MCSA TEK Offline
pledge

Loc: Orlando Fl USA
This is an interesting story out of Japan. Researchers are controlling "second life" avatars through the power of mental concentrate. Or at least as much concentration as a second life fan can muster.

There is also an interesting VIDEO demo of the interface in action.

CLIP

Researchers from the Biomedical Engineering Laboratory at Keio University in Japan have developed a brain-computer interface that enables users to control the movements of Second Life avatars without moving a muscle.

The device consists of a headset containing electrodes which monitor electrical activity in the motor cortex, the region of the brain involved in planning, executing and controlling movements.

All a user has to do to control his/her avatar is imagine performing various movements. The activity monitored by the headpiece is read and plotted by an electroencephalogram, which relays it to a computer running a brain wave analysis algorithm that interprets the imagined movements. A keyboard emulator then translates the data into signals which can be used to control the movements of the user's on-screen avatar in real-time.

Below is a film clip of the device in use.

LINK

Chris

#1141 - 10/17/07 09:59 AM Re: Brain / Video Game Interface [Re: MCSA TEK]
Veldrin Offline
pledge

Loc: Melbourne, Australia.
Now this will be interesting, virtual reality takes another leap to replacing real reality. (I think the english language just died a little towards the end there).

It could be entertaining enough, but, considering if it grew sophisticated enough, would it replace many drugs as an escapism route?
The benefits for medical, as well as many other (I am sure), practices will be vastly superior; I can only see this as another leap towards the couch vegetable lifestyle being thrust upon us in one form or another.

#1153 - 10/17/07 02:39 PM Re: Brain / Video Game Interface [Re: Veldrin]
darkangel Offline
stranger

Loc: CT
Wow!!! Thanks for sharing. This is awesome, first step to ultimate gaming! I hope they perfect it soon and use this technology for other games aside from Second Life and hopefully I'll live long enough to own such a device. This just made my day, I'm a huge gaming nerd. Haha.

#1155 - 10/17/07 03:56 PM Re: Brain / Video Game Interface [Re: darkangel]
MCSA TEK Offline
pledge

I spend a great deal of time playing Guild Wars, and I can see this making full keyboard-less control possible. No more fumbling for the correct keyboard letter, or loosing ground simply because your finger slipped and struck the wrong key.

Plus think of the advantages of a true first-person full immersion environment. I sometimes take a break from the game by siting my character down and just watching the waterfalls and the beautiful seascapes. How much nicer to have real control over what you see. Just like in the real world.

Chris

#1160 - 10/17/07 09:51 PM Re: Brain / Video Game Interface [Re: MCSA TEK]
Veldrin Offline
pledge

Originally Posted By: MCSA TEK

Plus think of the advantages of a true first-person full immersion environment. I sometimes take a break from the game by siting my character down and just watching the waterfalls and the beautiful seascapes. How much nicer to have real control over what you see. Just like in the real world.

Chris

While I can appreciate this (being slightly gaming minded myself) do you think that people will accept the virtual substitute in place of the real thing?
Why bother driving for an hour to go see an immersive environ when it's only a simple plug-and-play away?

And since this is the internet we are talking about, this will end up for sex.
Bored house wives and men, cheating on each other in a virtual world without leaving the house.
Then this naturally raises the issue of would it actually be cheating?

The discovery certainly has a great deal to offer, but how suitable is the human race to deal with such offers?

#1167 - 10/18/07 04:03 AM Re: Brain / Video Game Interface [Re: Veldrin]
Woland Moderator Offline
Seasoned

Loc: Oslo, Norway
 Originally Posted By: Veldrin
The discovery certainly has a great deal to offer, but how suitable is the human race to deal with such offers?

Indeed...

This topic has been covered in some depth by the SF-writer Mr. William Gibson in his "Sprawl-triology" (Mona Lisa Overdrive, Neuromancer and Count Zero).
It is called "SimStim" (Simulation/Stimulation) an has done wonders replacing amongst other things; daytime television. Imagine being the passive recipient of the emotional state of a character in a soapish drama where all disturbing factors has been edited away.

Bread & Circus.
The Horror, The Horror...

Woland

Contra Mundum!

#1171 - 10/18/07 09:14 AM Re: Brain / Video Game Interface [Re: Veldrin]
MCSA TEK Offline
pledge

Originally Posted By: Veldrin

And since this is the internet we are talking about, this will end up for sex.
Bored house wives and men, cheating on each other in a virtual world without leaving the house.
Then this naturally raises the issue of would it actually be cheating?

There was a 60 Minutes episode not long ago on the topic of "Second Life" It covered how Second Life was therapeutic to people with social disorders, or physical handicaps.

The part that I found interesting is how the players wrote "modifications" that created the ability to perform a large number of sexual acts. And as you pointed out, now there is a debate within that community if this constitutes cheating.

If Sex is done with a adult using a child looking avatar, is it pedophilia? What if its sex with an adult avatar being controlled by an underage child? As you can clearly see, The new "real time, interactive" fantasy worlds that we create and populate have created a very interesting set of moral questions.

Chris

Edited by MCSA TEK (10/18/07 09:16 AM)

#1174 - 10/18/07 09:35 AM Re: Brain / Video Game Interface [Re: MCSA TEK]
Veldrin Offline
pledge

Originally Posted By: MCSA TEK

There was a 60 Minutes episode not long ago on the topic of "Second Life" It covered how Second Life was therapeutic to people with social disorders, or physical handicaps.

The part that I found interesting is how the players wrote "modifications" that created the ability to perform a large number of sexual acts. And as you pointed out, now there is a debate within that community if this constitutes cheating.

If Sex is done with a adult using a child looking avatar, is it pedophilia? What if its sex with an adult avatar being controlled by an underage child? As you can clearly see, The new "real time, interactive" fantasy worlds that we create and populate have created a very interesting set of moral questions.

Chris

Yeah I agree it's a very vague issue, we know that cybering with an underage person is illegal (some places anyway).
But the defense of "fantasy vs reality" is tough to break.

All in all, how it is handled and the outcome should tell us alot about how the world will be handled for a while.
With good 'ol Jack Thompson on his soap box, I foresee a hard fight for this technology to be fully integrated with gaming.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.021 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 21 queries. Zlib compression disabled.