Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#114654 - 10/08/17 07:51 PM Re: The Aftermarket Afterlife [Re: felidae]
felidae Offline
stranger

What is yet to be "discovered" is what I'm after...The architecture...The Mountain...The Current under nothing...f that makes sense...There's always a new horizon...A new place...A place to keep looking: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-gVLMNSV_Y
A beyond

#114655 - 10/08/17 08:03 PM Re: The Aftermarket Afterlife [Re: felidae]
felidae Offline
stranger

The Domain
#114656 - 10/08/17 10:15 PM Re: The Aftermarket Afterlife [Re: felidae]
Phoenician Offline

Loc: CA
You appear to be talking to yourself.  The way to do that here is to make multiple accounts and have them do that.

Quote:
What is yet to be "discovered" is what I'm after...The architecture...The Mountain...The Current under nothing... if that makes sense...There's always a new horizon...A new place...A place to keep looking:

For real or for pretend?

There's always a new horizon of knowledge. But extending that beyond "possibility"?  At best you can say "There is a trend in the direction for each 'horizon' of knowledge."

Unfortunately for Aquino, or anyone else taking specious liberties with their epistemology, it's trending away from all things metaphysical (like everlasting Christian mindstars).

Every infinite regress paradox argument out there is a good indication of the "next horizon". Apologetics just can't transmute to that next level of thinking.

#114669 - 10/10/17 11:19 AM Re: The Aftermarket Afterlife [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Loc: Virginia
 Originally Posted By: MA
The concepts and propositions for the existence, independence, & immortality of the individual MindSat are reviewed in my book of that title, as well as discussed in several archived threads here, of which "TF" is just the most recent. So no reason to retype any of that. Anyone interested has abundant research material and bibliographic options.

Since it's apparent that you admire Crowley's Liber AL vel Legis; so much in fact, that you imitated his model with "Coming Forth by Night". Is this your endeavor? To have the star you've emulated shine in the minds of others after you're gone? Look around you, Thelemites everywhere completely missed the point and argue endlessly about the comment. Seems the Khu is the Ka, after all.

I think Selassie said it best when he needled on the point of emanation. It degrades over time, it's a poor mediator of anything worthwhile.

Look at the thousand year's long debate of what Lucifer and the Satan were in context. Flash to today, Kitsch. Ideas can be immortal but like sparkly vampires, lost in translation.

#114696 - 10/11/17 01:02 PM Re: The Aftermarket Afterlife [Re: SIN3]
Obitus Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: SIN3

Since it's apparent that you admire Crowley's Liber AL vel Legis; so much in fact, that you imitated his model with "Coming Forth by Night". Is this your endeavor? To have the star you've emulated shine in the minds of others after you're gone? Look around you, Thelemites everywhere completely missed the point and argue endlessly about the comment. Seems the Khu is the Ka, after all.

That paragraph makes it apparent that many Thelemites are FAR from the only ones who "completely missed the point" of Liber AL.

#114703 - 10/11/17 05:24 PM Re: The Aftermarket Afterlife [Re: Obitus]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Elaborate or GTFO. Empty statement is empty.

What is the point of it again?

#114704 - 10/11/17 06:03 PM Re: The Aftermarket Afterlife [Re: SIN3]
Obitus Offline
stranger

Since you've read it yourself, and presumably Crowley's Commentaries on it (or at least one of them, if not all three), you probably already know the gist of it. You just reject it. But just to humor you, the Book is, essentially, what it says it is. It's a "statement of transcendental truth" as received by Crowley from a praeter-human intelligence. The "point" of it was to announce a New Aeon, and to set in motion forces that have brought us to the point we are at now. Anyone (including many so-called "Thelemites") who, for whatever reason, can't or won't admit to the reality of a transcendental existence beyond mere physical matter is not going to REALLY get the "point" of it. For them, it will be only a curious exercise in drug-addled poetry from a dead British guy. I make no claim whatsoever to be privy to the solutions to all of the mysteries in it. Neither did Crowley himself. But a full-blown materialist Atheist isn't in a position to even half-understand it in any real sense, because they won't accept either its origins, or much of the concepts its contents center around.
#114726 - 10/12/17 06:26 PM Re: The Aftermarket Afterlife [Re: Obitus]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: Obitus
Since you've read it yourself, and presumably Crowley's Commentaries on it (or at least one of them, if not all three), you probably already know the gist of it. You just reject it.

I'd say Thelemites wholesale reject it. To become a Thelemite was never the point, in fact the 'truth' of it, isn't what you're going on about.

But just to humor you, the Book is, essentially, what it says it is. It's a "statement of transcendental truth" as received by Crowley from a praeter-human intelligence. The "point" of it was to announce a New Aeon, and to set in motion forces that have brought us to the point we are at now. Anyone (including many so-called "Thelemites") who, for whatever reason, can't or won't admit to the reality of a transcendental existence beyond mere physical matter is not going to REALLY get the "point" of it. For them, it will be only a curious exercise in drug-addled poetry from a dead British guy. I make no claim whatsoever to be privy to the solutions to all of the mysteries in it. Neither did Crowley himself. But a full-blown materialist atheist isn't in a position to even half-understand it in any real sense, because they won't accept either its origins, or much of the concepts its contents center around.

Exactly my point.

#114727 - 10/12/17 07:45 PM Re: The Aftermarket Afterlife [Re: Obitus]
Kori Houghton Offline

Loc: East Coast USA
...the Book is, essentially, what it says it is. It's a "statement of transcendental truth" as received by Crowley from a praeter-human intelligence.

Yeah, well, there's some debate about how/when the book was written. I don't believe, personally, that "transcendental truth" comes from imaginary entities.

The "point" of it was to announce a New Aeon, and to set in motion forces that have brought us to the point we are at now.

Maybe the New Aeon bit was a gimmick for discrediting Mathers.

Anyone (including many so-called "Thelemites") who, for whatever reason, can't or won't admit to the reality of a transcendental existence beyond mere physical matter is not going to REALLY get the "point" of it. For them, it will be only a curious exercise in drug-addled poetry from a dead British guy.

If they think it's mostly about Crowley's literary output, they wouldn't be far off. That is where the gold lies hidden in Crowley's legacy, in my opinion.

I make no claim whatsoever to be privy to the solutions to all of the mysteries in it. Neither did Crowley himself.

And that is true about many a creative work: the artist can't see in it all there is to be seen.

But a full-blown materialist atheist isn't in a position to even half-understand it in any real sense, because they won't accept either its origins, or much of the concepts its contents center around.

And that view goes along with the spiritual orientations of the organizations associated with Thelema today, even though they are not Thelemic. Even a bit. The Crowley redesigned OTO is a branch of fringe Chistianity. The A.'.A.'. is straight up, Bible-based, ceremonial magic.

It was genius for Aquino to create a received work that references Crowley, to be used for the same purpose as Crowley's Book, substituting LaVey for Mathers. The significant difference being their literary legacies. If you've read any of Aquino's fiction, you'll know what I mean. Snooze fest.

#114731 - 10/14/17 02:47 AM Re: The Aftermarket Afterlife [Re: Kori Houghton]
felidae Offline
stranger

So what's the truth? I'm a hillbilly, not an intellectual. All I can come up with is consciousness, not even necessarily an emergent property of gray matter. Physics breaking down at the smallest and largest scales is magic as well.

Edited by felidae (10/14/17 02:47 AM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#115280 - 11/24/17 01:32 AM Re: The Aftermarket Afterlife [Re: Phoenician]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

I tend to say to not worry too much about it.
You're in the now, which is a certainty (and probably the only one you have).
Those who tend to make a living out of the afterlife do so by reason they're actually living a dull life (or are way too fearful to divulge into the more risky/adrenaline-pumping aspects in life).
Or just people who want to create their safe-space.

A bit like putting on the label of Satanism and making a lifes work out of it by public defense with things like "we're not evil", "we condone such false rape accusations like any sane man", "we believe in Satan being a mere dark force" and other such watering downs.

I uphold the position that you walk life as you see fit. To pay the prices you must pay (or reap the rewards you have earned) and wait until the end to know what happens next.
It tends to work out quite fine.

#115323 - 12/03/17 07:23 PM Re: The Aftermarket Afterlife [Re: felidae]
fiendish Offline

So, you're saying magic is what you cannot understand. In other words, physics is kind of "Magic for hillbillies". According to personal experience, it is easier to persuade a hillbilly about UFOs and magic, than about natural phenomena. That is why UFOs , magic or other unexplainable phenomena (Nessie, Bigfoot, etc , etc...) gain ground against science.

#116332 - 05/25/18 03:43 PM Re: The Aftermarket Afterlife [Re: Phoenician]
Dark One Offline
pledge

It's a difficult subject seeing as no-one will ever find themselves 'not existing' and nothing that exists is ever created or destroyed you just see a process of formation and dissolution. So I don't see why why consciousness should be some kind of exception to the rule but whatever. We're not going to live forever in the form we are in now anyway that's just something to deal with. Not that we would necessarily want to live eternally anyway. I wouldn't mind 500 years or something, not 500 billion years, that would blow if you think about how bored you would become in that time. Particularly if you don't have anything to achieve or do or care about.
#116526 - 07/08/18 11:37 PM Re: The Aftermarket Afterlife [Re: Dark One]
fiendish Offline

A vampire or the Immortals would have definitely have a different opinion. You always have to find someone to bite or cut his head off. By the way, why do you feel bored?

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.032 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 27 queries. Zlib compression disabled.