Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#114735 - 10/14/17 04:50 AM A Dark Song
felidae Offline
stranger

I recently caught this, and both enjoyed and recommend it to anyone interested in the occult in film. And it has succeeded in making me think about it a lot after seeing it. I mean it's not "Mulholland Dr" or anything but there's some interesting questions remaining after the ending crawl.
Specifically my wondering if Solomon DID get to ask the favor from Sophia's HGA at the end of the abramelin. In one scene we see his cadaver, yet further on we see his body in complete lividity in the "dark place" which I only assume is an outer Hell or something. Then of course she floats him off into the pond. DOES he get his wish to disappear? Or was he just fucked?
I loved the score and atmosphere of the film, and lighting/cinematography. I found the female lead more competent than the male lead, but I did appreciate his performance, overall.
The occult and ritual is so woefully misrepresented in film, and by that I'm not lumping in garden-variety diabolical Satanism in there, because there's too much of that crap to shake a stick at in horror, with most of it garbage.
I still can't believe there isn't a Dee/Kelley flick. It's almost unbelievable as it is! Up through and including their own "angel'ordered" wife-swapping. That story has it all!

#114747 - 10/15/17 02:23 PM Re: A Dark Song [Re: felidae]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
In my opinion, traditional grimoire magic has a largely untapped potential for horror, given the cognitive dissonance and sense of unease that can be created by meshing heresy with apparent piety, or perhaps the suggestion that even if God and angels exist, they might not be necessarily "good" in the sense that an average person would expect. By this point in the game, "hard Satanism" has basically become a wellworn cliche, and the effect of its horror is often dulled by the implied existence of a good biblical God who exists to balance out the scales, comforting the audience with a sense of moral certainty. Breaking that dualism can lead to some pretty interesting themes (Think Lovecraft here).

"A Dark Song" treats the source material rather curiously--the deviations from the procedure and its stated effects are too long to list--but it does succeed in creating a good sense of dark drama. I quite enjoyed it.

Edited by The Zebu (10/15/17 02:23 PM)

#114853 - 10/21/17 07:55 AM Re: A Dark Song [Re: The Zebu]
felidae Offline
stranger

Agreed on the underrepresented in film! Hell, the occult in general is ignored. Having never done that ritual I wasn't following along with the procedure, but more the atmosphere of the film, and the interplay between the leads.
I would love to see more done in this genre. Like a remake of The Magus. But, overall, the movie is a gem. I'll be watching that director. The score I actually looked for a copy of, with no luck. I thought it was the third lead in the film, really.
Someone needs to post a list on the best in occult in film, dialing out all of the schlock Satanism. I think I'll try to put to together starting now, and just add to it via editing the more I find, the online lists suck, for the most part.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  TV is God, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, fakepropht, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.016 seconds of which 0.003 seconds were spent on 16 queries. Zlib compression disabled.