Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#27854 - 08/03/09 10:39 AM Re: Ouija Boards [Re: bluj666]
The Zebu Online

Loc: Orlando, FL
They're really only useful for party games or as a novelty. I know some Wiccans who consider the Ouija Board to be a serious religious artifact, and I just laugh at them. (Of course, they call them "spirit boards" because they don't want to admit they're just using a children's game.)

That said, it's also amusing to see superstitious Christians get their panties in a wad over a piece of wood with letters painted on them.

#28090 - 08/07/09 07:12 PM Re: Ouija Boards [Re: The Zebu]
Azathoth68 Offline
pledge

Loc: Denver, CO USA
I've never had any negative results from Ouija. I don't whip (the Ouija board) out all the time, but whenever using it with intention, it was always straightforward.
#28092 - 08/07/09 07:20 PM Re: Ouija Boards [Re: Azathoth68]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

So then you believe that Ouija boards actually contain some sort of "power"?

#28093 - 08/07/09 07:29 PM Re: Ouija Boards [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Azathoth68 Offline
pledge

Nope. I've had no real results, other than that that could be explained by someone moving the planchette around. But it IS fun for boring nights, when tipsy, and calling in whatever happens to wander by. \:D
#28102 - 08/07/09 08:52 PM Re: Ouija Boards [Re: Azathoth68]
Herne The Hunter Offline
stranger

Loc: New Zealand
I've never had any real results either. Other than everyone getting freaked out over nothing (which I find highly amusing). People take it far too seriously, when really it's a toy. Kinda like tarot cards lol.

#28103 - 08/07/09 08:56 PM Re: Ouija Boards [Re: Herne The Hunter]
Azathoth68 Offline
pledge

Tarot cards a toy? (sorry for the one-liner), maybe you should read deeper into whatever divination methods you are fooling around with and if you try you'll come up with interesting answers. I don't think Tarot and Ouija are anywhere near the same coin. Tarot, under the eye of a practitioner (especially Roma), usually are quite revealing.

Edited by Azathoth68 (08/07/09 09:09 PM)

#28107 - 08/07/09 09:21 PM Re: Ouija Boards [Re: Azathoth68]
Ankhhape Offline
Banned
pledge

The Tarot's potential is in its ability to allow the user to look inside their Self, not for 'fortune card' readings.
#28110 - 08/07/09 10:21 PM Re: Ouija Boards [Re: Ankhhape]
Azathoth68 Offline
pledge

I hope that some forms of Tarot work, if not, then I have spent considerable time in self-introspection, and in trying to understand random chance and mixed-metaphors. Maybe I'll try 'American Idol' scrabble in the future.

Edited by Azathoth68 (08/07/09 10:26 PM)

#28112 - 08/07/09 10:42 PM Re: Ouija Boards [Re: Azathoth68]
Herne The Hunter Offline
stranger

Loc: New Zealand
Each to their own. I personally have never had any insight gained from any form of divination that I haven't been able to figure out already for myself using my own brain.

#28129 - 08/08/09 05:40 AM Re: Ouija Boards [Re: Herne The Hunter]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Tarot cards anything more than a fun waste of an evening?

The human mind likes to see patterns. Even when there are no real patterns to find; our minds will find a way to turn otherwise seemingly normal occurences into noticable and "predictable" patterns.

Things like Astrology, palm readings, Tarot cards or any other sort of other divinations are not exempt.

Don't look to others, who ultimately are seeking a profit, to see your future. Realize that the power to create your future is in your own hands. If you want something, go after it. Chances are pretty good that no one else is going to go after it for you.

#28134 - 08/08/09 11:09 AM Re: Ouija Boards [Re: Azathoth68]
Ankhhape Offline
Banned
pledge

I have had marginal success with the Tarot in self analysis. The aim of the cards being a receptacle or amplifier towards inner growth and insight. Being a method whereby the mind is silenced and inspiration provides the answers, I would agree that some do not need this sort of stimuli but it is a tool that is available for those that can use it.

Astrology with its randomness never seemed a good vehicle for this form of gnosis to me.

#28141 - 08/08/09 04:16 PM Re: Ouija Boards [Re: Ankhhape]
god.over.djinn Offline
pledge

Loc: Melbourne
Hi Ankhhape,

Quote:
Astrology with its randomness never seemed a good vehicle for this form of gnosis to me.

I am a bit confused that, in a comparison with tarot cards, it is astrology that you would typify as random. The stars don't change much in a life time and the position of the planets can be predicted with great accuracy, yet if I understand such matters correctly, tarot cards are shuffled before each use - are they not?

If you seek a medium to facilitate self-reflection, would not a scrying device be the ultimate? Eg, a black mirror. At the cost of a picture frame and a can of black spray paint, they are cheap, too, in comparison to other introspective media.

G.O.D.

#28142 - 08/08/09 04:42 PM Re: Ouija Boards [Re: god.over.djinn]
Jake999 Offline

Here's my take on the randomality aspect of Tarot... keeping in mind that I'm no mathematician.

On a standard 10 card spread, using the full Tarot deck of 78 cards, each position would have to be seen as a single-event. In the case of position 1, you have a 1/156 chance of the spot-on appropriate card to land in the usable position. This takes into account that the cards can have a divinitive (head up) or inverted (head down) orientation, each with its own meaning or degree of meaning within the context of the question.

Position 2, 1 /154 (77 cards)
Position 3, 1/152 (76 cards)
Position 4, 1/150 (75 cards)
Position 5, 1/148 (74 cards)
Position 6, 1/146 (73 cards)
Position 7, 1/144 (72 cards)
Position 8, 1/142 (71 cards)
Position 9, 1/140 (70 cards)
Position 10, 1/138 (69 cards)

What would be the odds of all 10 card positions landing with the optimum reading, divinitive or inverted, for each position of the question at hand? I dunno. I ran out of fingers and toes.

This simplistic example covers a 10 cards spread, and I have seen people use Tarot spreads that use many more.

This isn't to show that there is any accuracy in the Tarot cards themselves. I tend to think that it pretty much boils down to keen intuition and the ability to extrapolate possibilities from any inputs given; something most people are probably able to do on one level or another. The cards could well be a tool for concentration, much like music or aromas, to allow them to concentrate more of their cognitive skills to the task.

#28155 - 08/08/09 08:48 PM Re: Ouija Boards [Re: god.over.djinn]
Ankhhape Offline
Banned
pledge

I guess what I was trying to get at was that the Tarot too should be used as a form of skrying, not a shuffled card fortune telling type thing. The alignment with the Qabalah and our psyche is what I believe the Tarot to be all about.

Astrology has never been something I was interested although I am interested in Persian culture and spirituality.

Questions I have asked myself were:

- What is the likelihood that one-twelfth of the world's population is having the same kind of day?

- Why is the moment of birth, rather than conception, crucial for astrology?

- Are all horoscopes done before the discovery of the three outermost planets incorrect?

- Why do different schools of astrology disagree so strongly with each other?

#28156 - 08/08/09 08:55 PM Re: Ouija Boards [Re: Ankhhape]
Jake999 Offline

One of the most interesting things in your list is the preference of the moment of birth, over the moment of conception. While people view people as people from the moment of the first drawn breath, that being, although only in potential, is there for nine full months prior to that breath.

Logic would dictate that if the stars and planets have an influence on a breathing organism, they would likely have influence over the organism growing inside its mother... unless one considers the two to be one until the moment of birth.

Page 4 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, TV is God, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.