Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#11636 - 09/20/08 06:08 AM Dissappointed by old classic movies in general
coelentrate Offline

Loc: Dundee, Scotland
I watched Vertigo last night and was disappointed. Some parts were so corny. Like when Scotty's head was flying through a lit tunnel?

That image actually looks pretty cool right now, but in the movie it looked so bad, everyone laughed at it. And why did the girl die at the end? A nun approaches, so this girl decides to jump out the window? WTF?

I watched Citizen Cane. This movie just seemed one cliche after another to me. I've seen all the tricks in this movieso many times in later movies. I appreciate that this was probably the first to do this, but it's not special anymore.

I could only get though half of Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Characters are so shallow in general. Characters fall in madly in love after knowing each other from between 2 hours and 2 days. The women are a 1950's man's fantasy of bimbos that let men boss them around (not that todays female characters aren't a man's fantasy now, I suppose). The acting is almost never up to the standard we see today. And things just seem dumbed down in general. Like in Vertigo, there were several times when characters would recite a long list of things that happened or things they were talking about, in a way that would never come up in a real conversation, like it's a blunt tool to fill in story gaps.

#11647 - 09/20/08 09:39 AM Re: Dissappointed by old classic movies in general [Re: coelentrate]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
I know what you mean. Our generation has moved so far beyond the previous one, in technology, education and social skills, that it's hard to relate to how things were back in those days. Our expectations are higher, our demand greater, that when we watch something that was a breakthrough 50, 60 years ago, it just seems pathetic. Even those old movies that we watched and enjoyed as kids give most of us the same feeling when we watch them later as adults--totally lame.

But that's what nostalgia's all about, isn't it? Remembering something fondly from the past. But when you're confronted with it in reality, it always diappoints. Have you heard of the saying, "You can never go home again"? It's not because home has changed, it's because YOU have changed. This could apply to an entire generation, as far as watching movies is concerned. People now are jaded, better traveled, and tend to have a more realistic view of the world and how things work. It can be difficult to sit back and try to enjoy all of that innocent, badly filmed, terribly dialogued and plotted stuff from back in the day. Unless you're watching it on Mystery Science Theather 3000

#11668 - 09/20/08 07:16 PM Re: Dissappointed by old classic movies in general [Re: Nemesis]
coelentrate Offline

When I read your reply it hit me that I don't feel the same way about books. I love a lot of old books that are older than these movies. I like Shakespeare, Edgar Allen Poe, and Jules Verne, even though their cultural references and language are so old that they're way over my head.

I also like a lot of old paintings and pieces of architecture.

So I don't understand the movie thing. Maybe movie making was such a new medium in the 50's that it wasn't perfected yet? People had been working on stage for centuries, but maybe these are somehow differenfrom movies in a way I don't understand.

#11669 - 09/20/08 08:27 PM Re: Dissappointed by old classic movies in general [Re: coelentrate]
Octavius Offline

Loc: Left the party
I love classic films. Especially FIlm Noir. Too much of today's films are over-the-top and try to cram as much action/suspense/drama into as little time as possible. Gone are the days of subtlety and creative plot writing. If I may suggest the following favorite movies from the days of yore...

The Three Faces of Eve
The Days of Wine and Roses
Streetcar Named Desire
The Glass Menagerie
Now, Voyager
The Apartment
Niagra
M
Laura
All About Eve
Maltese Falcon
Wizard of Oz
Gone With the Wind
12 Angry Men
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?
Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte
The Train
The Great Dictator
City Lights
Some Like it Hot
White Heat
The FIghting Sullivans
The Seventh Seal
Stalag 17

Enjoy?

Edited by Octavius (09/20/08 08:29 PM)
Edit Reason: Burt Lancaster

#11672 - 09/20/08 09:29 PM Re: Dissappointed by old classic movies in general [Re: coelentrate]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
Ditto. With books, you're left to your own imagination. I've read books over and over again, and it seems like I always come away from it with a different point of view, or I've understood it better than the previous time I read it. You can evolve with books moreso that you can with movies. The older and more mature you get, you may relate to different parts of the story that you weren't aware of before. With movies, everything's spelled out for you. The look of the characters and the way they speak, the settings, etc. That's why it's almost always better to read the book instead of watch the movie.

#11825 - 09/25/08 06:03 PM Re: Dissappointed by old classic movies in general [Re: Nemesis]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
Don't forget the Seven Samurai a brilliant black and white Japanese movie. Was actually the movie that the magnificent seven was loosely based on.

I think the reasons books don't loose their edge, is that we are picturing the action ourselves, so that can chagne over time as we read it, without us even being aware of the change.

Movies are a stagnant picture as such and can't just be 'update' in your head.

Zeph

#11835 - 09/25/08 07:31 PM Re: Dissappointed by old classic movies in general [Re: ZephyrGirl]
blsk Offline

Loc: salem or
a great movie (at least i think so) is called "rope". cant say much about it without giving anything away, but great dialogue and cinematics. check it out and let me know what you thought.

#11881 - 09/26/08 02:40 PM Re: Dissappointed by old classic movies in general [Re: ZephyrGirl]
coelentrate Offline

Originally Posted By: ZephyrGirl
Don't forget the Seven Samurai a brilliant black and white Japanese movie.

I liked that movie a lot. And in old japanese stuff I can't actually tell if the acting is bad or not. the story and picture are fantastic.

#11882 - 09/26/08 02:41 PM Re: Dissappointed by old classic movies in general [Re: Octavius]
coelentrate Offline

Originally Posted By: Octavius
I love classic films. Especially FIlm Noir. Too much of today's films are over-the-top and try to cram as much action/suspense/drama into as little time as possible. Gone are the days of subtlety and creative plot writing. If I may suggest the following favorite movies from the days of yore...

The Three Faces of Eve
The Days of Wine and Roses
Streetcar Named Desire
The Glass Menagerie
Now, Voyager
The Apartment
Niagra
M
Laura
All About Eve
Maltese Falcon
Wizard of Oz
Gone With the Wind
12 Angry Men
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?
Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte
The Train
The Great Dictator
City Lights
Some Like it Hot
White Heat
The FIghting Sullivans
The Seventh Seal
Stalag 17

Enjoy?

you make it sound interesting. I'll give these a try.

#15565 - 12/05/08 10:31 PM Re: Dissappointed by old classic movies in general [Re: coelentrate]
Luci.Is.Light Offline
stranger

You have to realize that these movies you say are "cliche" were actually the first to do the cliche.. Citizen Kane is an excellent film, with brilliant art direction, because of it's genious, movie after movie has copied it, hence, you view it as cliche.
With films like Vertigo, you can't say it's bad because of the effects (remember the technology available at the time it was made). I personally love old horror movies, despite the cheesy effects, because the horror, atleast in the good films, was derived from the plot. The best horror movies show almost no gore, but focus on terror that lies within the human mind (watch Hitchcock's Psycho, if you haven't already).
The problem with movies today is that they have any possible effect you could think of, and that is what they rely on. Meaning and art gets replaced with gore, explosions, and impossible stunts. It's great we have this technology now, I would just like to see it be used for something purposeful.

#22616 - 03/26/09 11:24 PM Re: Dissappointed by old classic movies in general [Re: Luci.Is.Light]
BaronVonShankly Offline

Loc: London
I was disapointed by the towering inferno everyone told me it was a good film but it suffered greatly due to the fact of how dated it looked.
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  TV is God, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, fakepropht, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.023 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 24 queries. Zlib compression disabled.