Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#117101 - 10/03/18 10:16 PM The King in Yellow...
RJ9000 Offline
stranger

...just wondering if any threads here regarding Robert Chambers' works, or did I miss them (I searched, and manually read thru, the 18 pages of BML topics)?
#117103 - 10/04/18 06:24 AM Re: The King in Yellow... [Re: RJ9000]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
i don't recall offhand whether TKIY has been discussed in 600C, but here is a very nice Chambers website.

Also if you go on YouTube and do a search for "Horrorbabble Chambers", you will find an exquisite series of readings of all TKIY chapters, by Ian Gordon and other male/female vocalists.

If you do a similar search for "Horrorbabble Lovecraft", Gordon also does many HJPL readings. There are HPL stories read by others, but I think Gordon is far and away the best.

FYI there's also a nice reading of Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher by Sir Christopher Lee.

#117104 - 10/04/18 08:06 AM Re: The King in Yellow... [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
RJ9000 Offline
stranger

Thank you, Dr Aquino, I will investigate. Ha, 'Miskatonic University', I haven't seen that site before.

I must take the opportunity to say how profoundly much I have enjoyed the Morlindale, it is a deeply satisfying alternate viewpoint, its poignancy and the (anti-?)symmetry it gives to the Tolkien account have stayed with me through many re-readings. I'm working thru 'MindStar' though I may need to put more thought into implementing the practice of 'anamnesis'.

Thanks again for your reply, and the opportunity to tell you how much I have enjoyed what I have read so far. Best wishes.

#117109 - 10/04/18 09:48 PM Re: The King in Yellow... [Re: RJ9000]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
Thank you. As recounted in its Introduction, the Morlindalë was a very strange and surprising occurrence; I still have never put on that Ring again to this day.

It's annoying that the full-color printing caused the price to be so high, but because of the Russian lady artist's delicate work, B&W was out of the question.

I remain a great admirer of JRRT, as well as the Jackson LOTR film trilogy and the ravishing soundtrack. For whatever odd reason, I had no interest in seeing the Hobbit films, I suppose because its underlying storyline was less epic.

If you are a Númenor fan, take a listen to David Arkenstone's Atlantis CD. He does a magnificent job of covering the legend from divine dream to catastrophe.

Glad to hear you're finding MindStar of interest. I do hope and recommend that you have there 2nd Edition, which is an important improvement, I think.

#117927 - 01/03/19 05:14 PM Re: The King in Yellow... [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
RJ9000 Offline
stranger

Had a chance to spend some time with the LOTR books and 'The Silmarillion' recently, I wanted to say I enjoyed the Atlantis CD recommendation... I have seen Arkenstone's name around, and just heard him on the 'Echoes with John Diliberto' music podcast recently, but this was new to me, and the Akallabęth is a favorite of mine..

#118183 - 01/26/19 10:18 PM Re: The King in Yellow... [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Carcosa Offline
stranger

Loc: Chicago
I dig it. Thanks for the link
#118664 - 02/19/19 09:15 AM Re: The King in Yellow... [Re: Carcosa]
RJ9000 Offline
stranger

Just a quick thought, the 'Shadow of War' game has Shelob as a Maia who appears, in one of her manifestations, as a rather sultry Dark Lady who has some history with Tar-Mairon...I find her character design/voice/arc rather compelling, to the point it reminds of the quote "I can see her in her loneliness and in the silence of her mighty pride, dreaming her own dream of things far different from those around her..."
One of her statements: "I am Shelob, and I deal only in truth..." Nice.

Shelob scenes
pic1
pic2
pic3

Edited by RJ9000 (02/19/19 09:22 AM)
Edit Reason: pic sizing

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.066 seconds of which 0.03 seconds were spent on 20 queries. Zlib compression disabled.