Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#11730 - 09/22/08 10:15 AM 2nd Satanic sin : Solipism
Fabiano Offline

Hi,

I found on the net the list of the Satanic sins (which I didn't not yet seen in TSB - I'm still reading it...).

The 2nd one is Solipism. I went to wikipedia and found Solipism is the philosophical idea that "My mind is the only thing that I know exists."

It's quite abstract, and I find hard to figure out a concrete exemple of a behaviour which would be a solipism.

Could someone enlight my mind about that ?

Fabiano

#11737 - 09/22/08 12:26 PM Re: 2nd Satanic sin : Solipism [Re: Fabiano]
Impius Offline
pledge

Loc: Lille, France
I'm the first answer-giver again

I guess you found the list of Satanic sins without the descriptions LaVey wrote with each of them.

Here goes the description for the 3rd (not 2nd) Satanic sin, solipsism :

Quote:
Projecting your reactions, responses, and sensibilities onto someone who is probably far less attuned than you are can be very dangerous for Satanists. It is the mistake of expecting people to give you the same consideration, courtesy and respect that you naturally give them. They wonít. Instead, Satanists must strive to apply the dictum of "Do unto others as they do unto you." Itís work for most of us, and requires constant vigilance, lest you slip into a comfortable illusion of everyone being like you. As it has been said, certain utopias would be ideal in a nation of philosophers, but unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately, from a Machiavellian standpoint) we are far from that point.

In abstract : "don't give your opinion unless you're asked to".

Here's a link to the list of Satanic sins with descriptions.

#11747 - 09/22/08 08:27 PM Re: 2nd Satanic sin : Solipism [Re: Impius]
Fabiano Offline

Thanks for the clarification Impius. And yes, it was the third not the 2nd. my mistake \:\(

SoI think the issue is with social soplipism. Philosophical solipism ("My mind is the only thing that I know exists") doesn't really matters here.

#11760 - 09/23/08 07:07 AM Re: 2nd Satanic sin : Solipism [Re: Fabiano]
Impius Offline
pledge

Loc: Lille, France
Yep, that's of course in a social POV that it's meant. Philosophical solipsism is just another abstract concept ;\)

#11763 - 09/23/08 08:29 AM Re: 2nd Satanic sin : Solipism [Re: Impius]
Cody Offline
pledge

Probe missions are always the give and take, you probe,they give,and then you take what is given as intelligence to be filtered in the mind according to your own filtering devices at that specific time, right or wrong you MUST go with it.
#12491 - 10/11/08 12:05 AM Re: 2nd Satanic sin : Solipism [Re: Cody]
PigFeeder Offline

Loc: Near Montreal, QC
One thing that I would like to throw out into the open is:

There are actually no sins in Satanism. LaVey called them sins because he was a man fond of irony. He used irony in calling them sins, as he did in writing and naming TSB, and calling his grotto, The Church of Satan. He loved irony, and he loved mocking Christianity, because he recognized how ignorant and useless it was.

Anyway, they are called sins because of that, and because they are things that Satanists generally do not do. You can still do them, but then you couldn't really call yourself a true Satanist, now could you?

~Snow~.

#12497 - 10/11/08 09:34 AM Re: 2nd Satanic sin : Solipism [Re: PigFeeder]
DistroyA Offline

Loc: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, UK
 Originally Posted By: PigFeeder
Anyway, they are called sins because of that, and because they are things that Satanists generally do not do. You can still do them, but then you couldn't really call yourself a true Satanist, now could you?
Well, a true Satanist may even do these sins, but mainly without realising, and when they notice negative effects, they would work out what they did wrong and try not to do it again. Just because one might do such a Satanic sin, does not mean they are not a true Satanist. It just means you're only human and you do make mistakes, and learn from them

#12559 - 10/12/08 03:37 PM Re: 2nd Satanic sin : Solipism [Re: DistroyA]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
 Quote:

There are actually no sins in Satanism. LaVey called them sins because he was a man fond of irony

I think there was a bit more to it than that;consider this:

The 'sins' are only 'sins' if you are already a Satanist;ie the type of person that naturally avoids the types of behaviors listed therein!

The type of person that finds the 'sins' restricting probably isn't a Satanist anyway, so it is unimportant whether or not such a person understands the reasoning behind some or all of them.

#13653 - 10/30/08 01:39 PM Re: 2nd Satanic sin : Solipism [Re: Dan_Dread]
Euronymous Offline
stranger

Loc: san diego, ca
This is true. Both of you are correct in that the "Satanic Sins" is a form of ironic nomenclature and are behaviors that a Satanist naturally tries to avoid, and if you feel as if these "Sins" are restrictive then you probably should not be on this site.

#13671 - 10/30/08 07:11 PM Re: 2nd Satanic sin : Solipism [Re: Euronymous]
Zakary Offline
pledge

Hmmmmm....... Satanic sins?
If there were any satanic sin or sins they would be few.
The most significant would be to 'deny your beastly nature' and then to 'believe there is a god or gods that will save you or grant you eternal bliss'.
I am in total agreement with Pigfeeder if I understand him correctly, in that LaVey's Satanic sins and bible did contain a flavour and construct of irony.
Satanism is taking responsibility in the end....... meaning being accepting that ones successes, faults and short comings are totally their own and not attributable to the will of a god.
Some parting words: respect the beasts of the fields, the beast in ones self and the beast in others.

#13673 - 10/30/08 07:59 PM Re: 2nd Satanic sin : Solipism [Re: Dan_Dread]
Fabiano Offline

You really have a twisted mind Dan. I like it ! \:\)

However when you say The 'sins' are only 'sins' if you are already a Satanist I would say stupidity, solipism, Ö are considered as sins only by Satanists.

It could be by a true born Satanist, i.e. the type of person that naturally avoids the types of behaviors listed therein

Or a person who claims to be a Satanist but is not born as such. This is the one who will find it restrictive.

For the others, like Xians, they donít consider these behaviors as sins. Their problem after all.

But I agree that is finally unimportant they (i.e. all except born Satanists) understand the reasoning behind.

For us, itís quite obvious these behavior should be considered as Ďsinsí in the sense of behavior to be avoided. But at the difference of the other we donít feel guilty about it. We donít carry the culpability on our shoulders. We just take the lessons and ďgo through itĒ.

#15731 - 12/07/08 10:00 PM Re: 2nd Satanic sin : Solipism [Re: Fabiano]
Luci.Is.Light Offline
stranger

The biggest satanic sin I found, and the only one I really pay attention to, is stupidity.

ďMost people can't think, most of the remainder won't think, the small fraction who do think mostly
can't do it very well. The extremely tiny fraction who think regularly, accurately, creatively, and
without self-delusion- in the long run, these are the only people who count.Ē
- Robert Heinlein
The latter group mentioned are the only true satanists.

#15747 - 12/08/08 06:27 AM Re: 2nd Satanic sin : Solipism [Re: Luci.Is.Light]
Butterz Offline
pledge

Loc: Georgia
I have a question about stupidity being a sin. At my old job, from the start I had everyone believe I was an idiot. I purposely acted stupid. Made the same money as co-workers, sometimes more because I was "slow" so i took longer, and did half the work. Was my pretending to be stupid a satanic sin?
#15768 - 12/08/08 04:12 PM Re: 2nd Satanic sin : Solipism [Re: Butterz]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

Do you really think such behavior pays in the end?

I'm seeing a lot of kids in my line of job; the slow ones, more worried about missing messages on their cell phone than about what the fuck they have to do at work. I'm working with two guys at the moment, one being a trainee; 20 years and a head full of potatos. Even at 7 in the fucking morning he's toying with his cell phone. If your fucking mother didn't die, what can be so important at that hour of the day that you have to swap messages about?

Kids don't act stupid it seems, they are stupid. And so goddamn spoiled they think that even at work their mommy will come to do the stuff they don't like so they can sit on their fat asses and ponder about thoughts so light you could lift a car with them.

In the end, you can trick out some and save you some sweat and effort but ultimately you will have a stamp on your head saying; "moron, do not hire unless you want to have shit shoveled".

It's short-term thinking and in the long run will get you nowhere. Being an idiot and slacker is something all can do; being good requires you to elevate above the mass.
Only act stupid if there is an immediate pay-off that has no longterm effects.

D.

#15770 - 12/08/08 05:01 PM Re: 2nd Satanic sin : Solipism [Re: Butterz]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Satanic 'sins' are only sins if you already see the type of behavior described by that 'sin' as being something to avoid. If you see the Nine Satanic Sins and just sort of nod your head, as if these things should obviously be avoided, chances are you might be a Satanist.

If you don't understand why the types of behaviors described by the Satanic 'sins' should be avoided, or how they apply to you, then they aren't 'sins' at all. The reason for this is that they are intended as rough guidelines for Satanic behavior, and as such only really apply to Satanists.

My point is that if you have to ask if pretending to be a dumbass and purposely making yourself look worthless is stupid, then I wouldn't worry about how a Satanic sin might apply to you or your situation.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.