Page 1 of 6 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#11766 - 09/23/08 10:12 AM What is your profession?
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
Haven't seen a thread like this, so I might as well go ahead and start one. I'm curious from a demographic perspective, anyway.

As for myself, I'm a full-time uni student (studying Digital Media) working various part-time retail jobs. I have done a deal of freelance digital illustration work, though.

When I get out, I'm looking to get a job in either illustration, animation, or video production.

#11770 - 09/23/08 05:55 PM Re: What is your profession? [Re: The Zebu]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
These days, I work in IT. I used to run an IT support center, but now I just work on a helpdesk for a large construction company. I get to visit various sites and interact with lots of men (always a bonus for me), whilst still having little stress. It's actually a great company and a great job (15 hours per week due to my health).

Changing from being a neurotic dancer (ha ha) to the IT industry was one of the most challenging and difficult things I've ever done.

Not the study of IT, but actually getting that first real job and foot in the door. The first IT job I took paid shit, was stressful and I was really under the pump, but within two years I'd proved myself and had tripled my wage and been given two promotions, so it was well worth it in the long run.

Now I have many contacts in the industry, at many firms and will never struggle looking for work again. Plus most don't know what I use to do, so I don't even have that following me around like a bad smell. Not that what I did was something to be ashamed of, it's just that people as we know, have preconcieved ideas about it. Hell, it's taken me three years to post an old glamour photo pic here, where people are more open minded than most.....and I always have to say that I wasn't a table/lap/pole dancer in a disclaimer. LOL

I am happy to coast in teh position I have ATM, I have things more important to me than work, so as long as I am comfortable financially (which I am I have no debt), I don't want the added responsibility of a higher level job.

If this changes one day, then I would be more than willing to attend more study (I enjoy studying stuff I'm interested in), to help make it happen. I don't however need to be high on the corporate ladder to be happy in my life ATM.

Zeph

#11777 - 09/23/08 07:05 PM Re: What is your profession? [Re: ZephyrGirl]
Fabiano Offline

Hi,

I'm an IT guy as well. I started as a programer, wrote hundred thousands lines of code then switched to analysis, some architectural work as well.

I'm now working for a mobile phone operator. I left the technical side and do more people management. I'm the right arm of my boss, the team's manager.

I often compare my team to a flock of sheeps. The manager plays the shepherd, he guides, decides where we go and shows the direction.
I play the dog role, running arround the flock, seeking, barking and biting those going in the wrong direction.

I'm known to be a nightmare for the stupids ! I'm cool & rewarding to the clever ones. (note that I always acted like that even before discovering LaVey's Satanism...)

On the field, my work is quite various, I handle clashes with other departments, do some follow up with providers, define the roadmaps & high level strategy with departemental architects, organise team meetings, backing projects managers up when they're on vacation, coach new joiner,...

I don't know why but I have the impression that the IT comunity is weel represented amongst Satanists. Let see if my intuition is right...

Fabiano

#11780 - 09/24/08 01:20 AM Re: What is your profession? [Re: Fabiano]
Octavius Offline

Loc: Left the party
I work for the largest musical instruments retail chain in the US, and soon the world. Most folks in the states have probably heard of Guitar Center. We're going to open stores in London, Sydney, Beijing, and Canada within the next year or so. I run the Guitar Department at one of the four Guitar Center stores here in Minnesota. It's by far the best job I've ever had.

Previously, I worked for a large bank on the mortgage side of the business. I worked in Risk Management as an Operations Manager. I got to travel a lot and made tons of cash, but when the bottom fell out of the US housing market a few years ago, I got laid off. I don't miss the world of cubicles and meetings at all. My paycheck is just as big now even though I work on commission. I rock. Believe it.

Octavius

#11781 - 09/24/08 01:27 AM Re: What is your profession? [Re: The Zebu]
Ringmaster Offline

Loc: Salem Oregon
Infantryman. I really don't specialize into any specific category because we do everything under the sun, right now they got me driving a stryker which is a 4+ million dollar 26 ton assault vehical. Seems pretty high speed but it's not the things are a piece of shit I'm alway in the maintaince bay working on the bitch.

Edited by ringmaster (09/24/08 01:28 AM)
Edit Reason: stupid errors

#11784 - 09/24/08 07:13 AM Re: What is your profession? [Re: Octavius]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
I think you rock now too. I beleive it. You are a whole new person since your change of jobs. I won't list all the differences, but they are obvious to those of us that see the small signs.

Wow,

Zeph

#11787 - 09/24/08 11:17 AM Re: What is your profession? [Re: ZephyrGirl]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Student bio-engeneering at the moment.
Not really a profession but hey, it still is full-time working to get your degree...

#11796 - 09/24/08 09:06 PM Re: What is your profession? [Re: Dimitri]
DistroyA Offline

Loc: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, UK
I'm going to embarrass myself on what I do currently;

I work part-time at a convenience store near where I live. It was originally a student job, but I'm no longer a student, and the only extra hours I'll be able to get are evenings. I'm currently waiting for news on my request for training to be a supervisor in the retail trade. Hopefully, with training, and more hours, I'll be able to get more success when applying for jobs elsewhere.

In my spare time (Of which is most of the time...), I've been trying to get my art career on track, and it's not been going very well. I'm also trying to form a career in animation with a few of my close friends. We've been trying to get a music video sorted for a local band, and our morale has been up and down a lot of the time, so it's not going as planned.

I'm also trying to get back into playing guitar and actually improve my skills on it. My life long dream since my introduction to heavy metal was to be in a metal band. That's another thing I'm working toward.

Those are my current occupations/professions.

#11811 - 09/25/08 07:32 AM Re: What is your profession? [Re: DistroyA]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
DistroyA works at a Hadji-mart! Hey, it's a job and it pays. There's no shame in that as long as you keep trying to better yourself (which is sounds as if you have been).

I've had some crappy jobs myself--2 weeks as a phone solicitor, a month working at a farm and feed store, 3 months working as a temp at a water filter manufacturing plant, 6 months working at a pet store (Pet Supermarket), 3 months as an underpaid, overworked veterinary technician, 7 months as a cashier, then deli employee at a supermarket.

My current profession is a wholesale optical lab technician. I work for an independent lab in Clearwater, Florida, and our customers are the actual doctors themselves, not individual people. We don't do eye exams or anything like that, we grind, surface, and edge the lenses to match the prescription. Our average output is 125 to 150 jobs a day, with a fairly small crew. I started in the surfacing department, proved that I had the skills to transfer over to the uppity (and cleaner) finishing department. I edged lenses for about a year, then switched places with the guy who did mounting, grooving and drilling because he sucked at it and couldn't get his work out. Since then, I've learned to do fill all of the positions in the lab: blocking and generating, fining and polishing (not much of that--I hate getting the polish on my hands), first inspection, tracing and blocking, edging (of course), mounting, grooving, rimless drilling (my specialty), some final inspection, as well as some jobs up front in customer service. I also do the book keeping, mostly when I come in on Saturdays.

Oh yeah, and my boyfriend of 4 1/2 years is a co-owner of the company, along with his dad. I have it pretty damn good, and could give a rat's ass about jealous co-workers.

#11821 - 09/25/08 05:15 PM Re: What is your profession? [Re: Nemesis]
DistroyA Offline

Loc: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, UK
Actually Nem, it's a chain called Midlands Co-Operative. =P

Sounds boring, doesn't it?

Your profession sounds a lot better to be honest. Some actual skill and hard work going into it. Monkeys could do my job to be honest. Hahahaha.

#11873 - 09/26/08 09:54 AM Re: What is your profession? [Re: DistroyA]
MaggotFaceMoe Offline

Loc: Finland
I work my days as a piercer, and have been at it for about two and a half years. It's a great job in the sense that the work environment is quite stress free and I get to deal with different kind of situations and customers. Normally I'm not very social and on my free time I try to remove myself from other people, but at work it's at times quite refreshing, for I get to be with a wide variety of people and it's never personal so it won't get complicated \:\)
Other than piercing, I'm nowadays quite busy with doing music, lately it has consumed almost all of my time. Sometimes it feels like it's my primary job and my work is more like a hobby. Never before have I done anything so stressful, pity that it won't pay my rent and bills... In Finland with so few people it's almost impossible to make a living with just music, at least metal.

I intend to start studying marketing in university, perhaps next year if I have enough time.

#11876 - 09/26/08 12:23 PM Re: What is your profession? [Re: MaggotFaceMoe]
Satansfarm Offline

Loc: america
I am a professional idiot. LET ME DO MY JOB!!!!!!!
#11877 - 09/26/08 12:30 PM Re: What is your profession? [Re: Octavius]
Satansfarm Offline

Loc: america
Yeah, man the guitar center is the best deal in town. Once I needed my deposit money back, and they gave it to me, no problem at all. the small local store I bought a 12 string from, I tried to do that. Out of $700.00 they were going to give me back $80.00
restocking fee,etc. yeah, right. ferengi law #1...they never get their money back. I wish there was a GC store around here, but the town is too small. I would probably deal with the shipping, unless
its just strings. Then again, maybe I can bulk order strings, get a great deal, and not have to worry about it for months.

Im a musician, but theres no money in it around here.

#11984 - 09/29/08 06:37 AM Re: What is your profession? [Re: Satansfarm]
Nykky Offline
stranger

Loc: Northern CA
Nobody should be embarrassed about their job after I tell you mine. I am an independent contractor so technically I am self employed. here goes....I am a newspaper delivery girl.

I don't care to much for working, at all, but I don't believe in sitting on my butt and collecting some type of government benefit as long as I am physically able to work. It is also important to contribute to our living expenses.

The job does somewhat suck sometimes because it is every single day unless you find sub who will learn your route and get up at 2am to go do it. It is only 2 hours a day and it pays pretty darn good, you would be surprised. I get to work by myself drive around and listen to coast to coast while I chuck rolled up papers out my window! There is nobody out and cops rarely drive in the neighborhood I throw in so I can drive like a mad woman. I also get to be up all night long and sleep while my daughter is in school. So when she gets I get to be there with her and for her, this is important to me.

I've had many jobs and working under someone is not right for me and I usually end up getting fired or I quit, mainly becuase I'm childish and selfish and I feel like someone is owning my time.

I do have something that I am going to start working on hopefully soon. I would like to either have a rib shack or a sweet shop. I can make some mean ribs and I bake like crazy. I can't cook a steak to save my life though.

#12013 - 09/29/08 09:44 PM Re: What is your profession? [Re: Nykky]
Sunbathed Offline
lurker

Loc: South Florida
Right now I'm a student, getting my BA in Criminal Justice.. After that I might apprentice for tattooing so I have a fun paid hobby to do on the weekends when I'm not working at whatever federal job I get! I also work part time as a personal assistant for a woman who runs a local homeless veterans shelter.

PS nice to meet you all (first post lol)..

Page 1 of 6 12345>Last »

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.