Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>
Topic Options
#14078 - 11/09/08 12:01 AM Re: What is your profession? [Re: Sylis]
Jake999 Offline

I'm retired. I pretty much do what I feel like doing...

But before I retired, I spent 20 years in the military, in Air Transportation and Combat Mobility positions. Used my free time and isolated duty time to get my education, and upon retirement from the military, I eventually made my way into a company that took abandoned military bases, rehabbed them and turned them over to the cities in which they resided. Our company actually bought an entire base for ONE dollar... yep... ONE DOLLAR for PRIME property in California. We dumped almost a quarter of a billion into it, turned it into a viable community, recouped the investments and made our profits. NEXT!!!! I retired at 53.

#14168 - 11/11/08 02:08 AM Re: What is your profession? [Re: Jake999]
d3vi1d06 Offline
stranger

i kill those that want to kill america. i defend american's way of life. im the first to fight for right and freedom. and to keep our honor clean. i am proud to have claimed the title of united states marine.

in the words of leonidus: "spartans, what is your profession?"

#14195 - 11/11/08 10:40 AM Re: What is your profession? [Re: Jake999]
athegiscj Offline
stranger

Loc: Atlanta, Ga
Well as for me, I am currently the vocalist of a pretty quickly moving local band in the Atlanta area called Athegis. My profession i would say is that, i know it does sound like a farfetched idea but i hold strong to my dreams and goals and do whatever it takes to fulfill them.

Job wise, i'm currently unemployed, but looking for a job relentlessly. I have alot of respect for the veterans of the US army and want to give a strong thanks to you as well.

#14230 - 11/11/08 06:46 PM Re: What is your profession? [Re: d3vi1d06]
Woland Moderator Offline
Seasoned

Loc: Oslo, Norway
 Originally Posted By: d3vi1d06
i defend american's way of life. im the first to fight for right and freedom.

Being a Warrior is a fine profession, but you really shouldnt confuse your attitude towards your work with big words like "right" and "freedom.

The correct sentence should be something like;

Im the first to fight for right and freedom for Americans.

Woland

Contra Mundum!

#14231 - 11/11/08 06:48 PM Re: What is your profession? [Re: Woland]
Woland Moderator Offline
Seasoned

Loc: Oslo, Norway
I work in entertainment, specifically movies.

Woland

Contra Mundum!

#14257 - 11/12/08 03:06 AM Re: What is your profession? [Re: Woland]
d3vi1d06 Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: Woland
 Originally Posted By: d3vi1d06
i defend american's way of life. im the first to fight for right and freedom.

Being a Warrior is a fine profession, but you really shouldnt confuse your attitude towards your work with big words like "right" and "freedom.

The correct sentence should be something like;

Im the first to fight for right and freedom for Americans.

i was quoting the marines hymn, movie star. im not the confused one in this situation. oh and your welcome to read up on u.s. marine corps literature at http://www.marines.com. it should clear up any misunderstanding about what i do. out of respect for my corps, my original statement "fight for right and freedom" shall stand, unaltered. because it is in the hymn of the united states marine corps. as such, it will imply that i fight for that cause in the name of the united states.

now, if you had researched on the subject at hand, instead of blindly insulting my use of words, a fool you would not appear to be. im at fault though. i should have predicted that there would be that one person, who would attempt to "reconfigure" my words. perhaps i should have, in bold lettering, stated the source of my words. maybe then would you have been less confused.

#14275 - 11/12/08 02:48 PM Re: What is your profession? [Re: d3vi1d06]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

Mate you appear to me like someone that joined the army last week and is so full of it, it's seeping out of your pores.

There is nothing wrong with liking the job you do and if being a soldier makes your day, more power to you. If you enjoy it there, great, if you wanna catch a bullet of lose a limb for it, great too. Even if you're doing a deskjob or cleaning sheets and love it, again great great great.

Still, you should start learning that not everything should be embraced without thought. Right and freedom are catch-words that are used for specific reasons. There's nothing wrong with tradition and chanting 'group' hymns or whatever, but there is absolutely nothing wrong either with being critical about them at the same time.

Right and freedom should indeed be our right and our freedom as Woland stated and essentially it is a lot of bullshit but of a memetic nature. Many people embrace them without a thought and really start to think that all they do is indeed right and for the cause of freedom.
Yeah right.

An army is about dominance, right and freedom are used to again dominate, not only others but also its own work force. It puts a spell on you. There are some similarities with heroism, another concept that serves a very specific purpose. I'd go deeper into it but this isn't the post for it and I'm not sure if it's worth the time.

Still, when expressing our hymnatic nature, don't be insulted when people comment upon it or take it with a grain of salt. Never share in public what you don't want to see criticized.

And, I reread Woland's reply about three times and I can't figure out what part so blindly insults. If you consider that an insult, you really should grow some skin, it might be of use in your profession.

D.

#14303 - 11/12/08 06:08 PM Re: What is your profession? [Re: Diavolo]
coelentrate Offline

Loc: Dundee, Scotland
Academic biomedical science. I'm in the last stage of formal education, the postdoc. The next step up is professor. I work in a cancer research lab in a university. It's my dream job. Very comfortable salary, 39 days/year paid vacation, completely flexible hours, absolute creative control over my own work, all expenses paid trips all over the world for conferences.

Especially important to me, every day is different and there is continual progress. I don't repeat myself over and over again, doing stuff that'll just have to be redone again after I retire, like cleaning or accountancy.

The title "doctor" comes in handy sometimes to get things that I want out of society.

#14329 - 11/13/08 12:54 AM Re: What is your profession? [Re: coelentrate]
d3vi1d06 Offline
stranger

I have extremely thick skin. I'm not one to gloat, but this would be a situation to do so. If you knew the hell and terror the Marines had to live through in boot camp and infantry school, you would know just how thick my skin is. But sometimes I get offended when someone says I'm wrong.

I think its best to stop the back and forth bickering. Its counterproductive. I'll do my best in the future to make clear the context of my statements.

#14377 - 11/13/08 06:24 PM Re: What is your profession? [Re: d3vi1d06]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
Two cents...

Devil Dog, I think the cultural reference of the Marine Corps Hymn was lost on our European brothers because they don't understand the context. So too, most would not understand the meaning of "d3vi1d06" because most people know very little about our military.

A cardinal rule of life - know your audience. Your 20. In your avatar you look like an obnoxious drunk Marine, sporting a bad hair cut and Pantera t-shirt. Now, you may be a hard corps death dealer in a certain context, but here, that sort of shit is simply going to undermine your credibility.

And don't fight (as opposed to debate) with colored names here. You won't last long.

I only offer you this because I have a sort of soft spot for all of my LHP SMs. After this, your on your own.

A word to the wise...

#14380 - 11/13/08 06:40 PM Re: What is your profession? [Re: Fist]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

If there is a deeper cultural meaning behind it, I am rather oblivious to it indeed. Not that I don't know the marines but it's all info I got through multimedia somewhere.
The name also doesn't ring a bell at all. To me it's one of those hacker versions you see too much, like L33Twhatever and such. So I comment on what is presented to me in the form it is presented. If things are put into context, I might reply differently but hey, I'm a bitch at times so don't bet on it. Still, I was rather nice, the days that I shot at everything that wore a uniform are gone.

May I also suggest something to the new: remember the internet is one giant garbage-can but the lid is never locked, so when picking a name, pick something that gives a zillion hits or change names according the environment. It does have its benefits.

D.

#14383 - 11/13/08 07:22 PM Re: What is your profession? [Re: Diavolo]
Jake999 Offline

Divolo:

"Devil dog" is a nickname the Marines have had since the battle of Belleau Wood, back in WW I. They were trapped and things wer looking bad for them when one man, Gunnery Sergeant Dan Daly asks his men, “Come on ya sons-of-bitches, ya want to live forever?” They charged out, taking severe casualties, and eventually took the small portion of Belleau Wood that had been their objective.

The Germans were impressed with the tenacity of the charge and called them Teufelhunden - Devil Dogs. The Marines have always been fond of the names that their enemies have used to describe them, so it stuck.

I guess the Marines were lucky that the Germans hadn't called them Clownfüße... clown feet... because that would have meant something different altogether.

#14384 - 11/13/08 07:32 PM Re: What is your profession? [Re: Jake999]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
So Jake, I'm interested, where are some of the places you have been stationed.

Fake prophet and I were both in South Korea around the same time (although for different reasons and never met), I wonder if maybe you might have been around then to.

That was the late 80's early 90's I'm talking about btw.

Zeph

#14386 - 11/13/08 07:46 PM Re: What is your profession? [Re: ZephyrGirl]
Jake999 Offline

Crank up the Johnny Cash "I've been everywhere" tune...

I was stationed at Wheelus AB, Libya... was there when Kadaffy took over and spent 7 months under what amounted to house arrest. Then I was stationed at Cannon AFB, NM, Cam Rhan Ban and Tuy Hoa, Viet Nam, Castle AFB, CA, Incirlik, Turkey, Travis AFB, CA, Rhein Main, Germany and Travis AFB again.

I have been deployed to Chad, Morocco, Tunisia, Saudi Arabia, Greece, Barbados, Honduras, Thailand, Phillipines, Papua New Guinea, Guam, and some places I was but never knew where exactly.

I've traveled to Australia, France, Italy, Mexico, Canada, and Japan. Probably missed something along the way, but I'm old and might have been sleeping.

#14391 - 11/13/08 09:11 PM Re: What is your profession? [Re: Jake999]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
Cool. I know this isn't the exact spot for it, but I love your picture, you look like a very interesting old dude with more than a story or two to share.

Zeph

Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.03 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.