Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#118859 - 03/07/19 10:04 PM Magnetic Flip: Another Y2K?
aeon6 Offline

Loc: KÝbenhavn, Denmark
Not because I care whether my damn phone won't work afterwards or I can't recognize myself as animal, vegetable, or mineral then. As a matter of geological record, the Earth's magnetic field has undergone numerous reversals of polarity. We can see this in the magnetic patterns found in volcanic rocks, especially those recovered from the ocean floors. In the last 10 million years, there have been 5 reversals per million years. The last flip was 780,000 years ago during the Stone Age, and leaves evidence to suggest the planet may be ripe for a pole reversal once again.

Y2K again?

#118861 - 03/07/19 11:08 PM Re: Magnetic Flip: Another Y2K? [Re: aeon6]
Spida Offline

Loc: Maine
Yeah. I remember watching some videos about a mini solar system, and this brown dwarf called Nibiru/Planet X. That every 26000 years or so it passes by and wreaks havoc. A pole shift is one of the side effects.

I remember Zacharia Sitchen was a source. Is this for real or what?

#118863 - 03/08/19 01:15 PM Re: Magnetic Flip: Another Y2K? [Re: Spida]
CanisMachina42 Offline
veteran member

Loc: CA
The magnetic poles flip every 200,000 years or so. Not bullshit, happening now. It is speculated it can even fully flip in a few generations.

In fact, the predictions for 2020's projected magnetic pole had to be updated 5 years ahead of schedule.

https://www.popsci.com/earth-pole-moving-faster-model

In 2011 Tampa Bay International was forced to change numbering from 18/36 to 1/19 so folks wouldn't be putting '008' in to the autopilot's course heading for a Runway 36 L/R ILS approach.

https://phys.org/news/2011-01-tampa-airport-runways-renumbered-due.html

#118868 - 03/08/19 11:03 PM Re: Magnetic Flip: Another Y2K? [Re: CanisMachina42]
aeon6 Offline

Funny how not as much weight is given to the south magnetic pole's shifting but it's equally there. I'd welcome an absolute inversion of the magnetosphere's dynamo. It would mean you've chosen a pertinent time to exist in which things will flip. Everything electronic might be at its knees while we are temporarily multipolar (aurora borealis/australis for all?), but only until those resilient enough harness the new opportunities of "life engineering".

Soon the airports will have to rename their runways daily.

#118951 - 03/19/19 05:39 PM Re: Magnetic Flip: Another Y2K? [Re: aeon6]
SagittariusA Offline
stranger

Loc: Germany
The danger does not come from simply changing the magnetic north and south poles.
During this process, the earth's magnetic field is incredibly weakened.
This in turn has the consequence that no stuff coming from the sun is blocked.
And that is the real danger.

If you think about such doom scenarios, then you should not forget the others.
-Meteorite impacts
-volcanic eruptions
-sun storms

To the last I give at the moment the greatest probability to be able to extinguish almost our complete species.
The last major sunstorm was in 1859.
Even then, the effects on the view analog technology, which is very robust compared to today, were extreme.
Imagine, when from one second to the other the modern world stops to exist.
No satellites, no computers, no electricity, not even your smart car with electric ignition works anymore.
Although the military is reasonably protected against this due to the effects of nuclear weapons (EMPs), this lasts just a few months. But this is the worst case scenario.

#118953 - 03/19/19 09:40 PM Re: Magnetic Flip: Another Y2K? [Re: SagittariusA]
CanisMachina42 Offline
veteran member

Loc: CA
The absolute best one is what happens if were hit by a "magnetar blast" during a pole reversal?

If the poles are flipping there will be a moment like the apex of a gravitational parabala where all forces are neutralized. If a magnetar blast or other high energy event hit earth it would instaneously strip away the entire atmosphere and everyone would be like total recall before Quaid starts the reactor.

Earth will have little to no magnetic protection at this time. A carrington event 2.0 would be the most minimal of worries.

#118954 - 03/19/19 10:06 PM Re: Magnetic Flip: Another Y2K? [Re: SagittariusA]
aeon6 Offline

As to which will come first, volcanoes/quakes seem imminently reliable. I have my eye on just a few places that are really overdue for cataclysm. As vaporizing as a sunstorm would be, aren't nukes equally as imminent? All it takes is one provoked action to trigger worldwide launches (to global targets). The governments which perpetrate this looming threat upon humanity do so with impunity as you'd expect, so they hide behind the mountains of "fanmail" (scanned for anthrax and explosives of course). Equally as retarded are people who build survival bunkers to withstand impacts and radiation. This is what people did before Y2K in *some* parts of the world then.
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.018 seconds of which 0.003 seconds were spent on 20 queries. Zlib compression disabled.