Page 1 of 11 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#1189 - 10/19/07 12:31 AM Growing up 80's
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
Ok, some of you old bastards are easily as old as I am. Remember the 80's?

Unfortunately, a lot of the music and attempts at counterculture we see today are sad shadows of what came before it.

So, in the interest of saving our youth (of whom many of our members are) could you please post items of interest that will help guide the younger generation and show them the way things 'really' were.

For my part, I would recommend the following movies:

SLC Punk
Suburbia
Romper Stomper

More to follow...

#1213 - 10/21/07 07:18 AM Re: Growing up 80's [Re: Fist]
Sinistar Offline

Loc: New York City
What, no "Breakfast Club"?

One thing about the 80's that stuck with me was the rise of thrash and the Metallica vs. Megadeth debate.

If you want to discuss this further, call me at 867-5309...

#1230 - 10/22/07 08:13 PM Re: Growing up 80's [Re: Fist]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
Great influences. I thought I was the only one that remembered Suburbia. Flea had a role in that movie. I think SLC Punk was a 90s release though.

I would like to add a few of my own.

1. The Decline of the Western Civilization. A documentary of punk rock as it existed at that time. Interviews with band members, fans, mothers, and club scenes. This had a very profound influence on me at that time. Especially since I grew up in small town Idaho, where punk rock was considered wearing 2 different colored Chuck Taylors.

2. GG Allin. Didn't care if anyone came to his shows. Could care less if he made a nickel. Wasn't worried the cops were waiting for him outside. He threatened to kill himself at the next show more times than I can count. Crapped himself, pissed himself.

3. Urgh! A Music War. This was a series of live songs thrown together on a compilation. I first saw it on HBO or Showtime. It was amazing as a youth to see such acts as the Police, Klaus Nomi, The Surf Punks, The Go-Gos(before they became pop princesses) all performing live in a taped together 2 hour video. Another strong impact on me.

I have others just waiting to come out. But my time is running short for this session.

#1231 - 10/22/07 09:20 PM Re: Growing up 80's [Re: fakepropht]
Octavius Offline

Loc: Left the party
Another great counter culture film on not only music, but the rise of the straight edge movemet is called "Another State of Mind" which I highly recommend.

#1235 - 10/23/07 05:19 AM Re: Growing up 80's [Re: Octavius]
Woland Moderator Offline
Seasoned

Loc: Oslo, Norway
I fondly remember Repo Man.
Great comedy with a fantastic sound track.
Harry Dean Stanton (one of my all time favorite actors) does a beautiful repo man with a taste for amphetamines and Emilio Estevez works nicely as his not so faithful apprentice.

Check out the infamous Liquid Sky.
Not a very good film, but a hilarious watch...

Romper Stomper is a great film, (but a 90s release).

I have "Urghh!" on vinyl in my collection...
Haven't listened to it in years.
Will dig it up...

I have always found it strange that the 80s are mainly remembered for its comical mainstream products.
And even more strange that bullshit bands like Depeche Mode are still standing as exponent for quality 80s *vomits with utter dedication*.

I remember bands like Throbbing Gristle, Virgin Prunes and Killing Joke.

The live performances of Psychic TV, Laibach The Residents, Snakefinger.

The Synth work by early Human League, Fad Gadget, not to mention the fantastic Deutsch-Amerikanische Freundschaft.

Those were the days my friend...

Woland

Contra Mundum!

#1239 - 10/23/07 02:53 PM Re: Growing up 80's [Re: Fist]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
Miami Vice baby.

Although, I was in my teens in the 80's, and the memories are great. I'm not an "old fart," because I know that the new generation has it together, just as much as we thought, that we did.

In the 80's the old farts were left over hippies, who thought we were shallow.

In the 60's, the rock n rollers of the fifties were the old farts.

Although I might be getting to be just a little bit of an old fart, because when I hear music from the 80's I do travel back to a better time, in my mind. Darn. Maybe I am an old fart afterall.

#1247 - 10/24/07 10:23 AM Re: Growing up 80's [Re: Asmedious]
Sinistar Offline

Oh yeah, Miami Vice. "Damn it Rico!"

I also forgot to mention Matinee Day/Thrash Day at CBGB/OMFUG which featured Warzone, Sick Of It All, and Reagan Youth among others. Back then, moshing was actually permitted.

I also noticed that a lot of the fashion from the 80's is coming back nowadays. You know, fitted jeans, Chuck Taylors, and bright colors. If I dig in my closet, I could be with the "In Crowd" sipping lattes with Brangelina.

Any one of you guys have a mullet back then? All business in the front and a party in the back...

#1249 - 10/24/07 01:29 PM Re: Growing up 80's [Re: Sinistar]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Yes, sundays hardcore matinee was fun. Between Cbgbs and L'amours the weekends were full of stage diving and moshing. Back before moshing became kung-fu fighting.

You know it was the 80's if you remember when Hbo and Wht were the only cable channels in town, and there was no MTV.

What about Pong......

Morg

#1251 - 10/24/07 02:13 PM Re: Growing up 80's [Re: Sinistar]

Quote:
I also noticed that a lot of the fashion from the 80's is coming back nowadays. You know, fitted jeans, Chuck Taylors, and bright colors. If I dig in my closet, I could be with the "In Crowd" sipping lattes with Brangelina.

Any one of you guys have a mullet back then? All business in the front and a party in the back...

Cool, I hope that means I can bring out my "Parachute Pants" and hight top sneakers, which of course was a sin to tie. We tucked our laces in, and wore them kind of like slippers. Damn, we were cool.

Yes, I had a kind of a mullet, but it actually looked good on me, because I had much more hair (quantity) back then.

#1257 - 10/24/07 09:05 PM Re: Growing up 80's [Re: Woland]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
I was going to name drop Repo Man too. But you beat me too it. Loved that movie.

How about the Dead Kennedys and Alternative Tentacles? The lawsuit that ensued over their "graphic" use of an artist's painting(Giger)and subsequently going bankrupt fighting big brother government.

Black Flag was another major player back then. I was a huge fan of them. I still remember the day I saw one of their videos on MTV and damned near peed on myself.

Fist, I am surprised you didn't mention some of the great bands that came out of the DC area. Black Flag being one of them, though they get credit for Cali. Bad Brains, The Meatmen, Fugazi, and Minor Threat.

I have to give credit to the skateboard scene that exploded in the 80s. I was a member. They pushed subculture to the mainstream. I found out about more bands and scenes by reading interviews with them and hanging out with them. Those kids didn't give a shit about anything other than getting paid to ride a piece of wood with four plastic wheels attached. They would flip the finger to middle America and appear on the cover of US Today. Until corporate America found a way to push it on to mainstream America.

Even MTV was cool back then. They didn't have a large pool of videos to pull from. So you would see a mix of punk, rock, pop, metal, and old stuff all in one hour. They broke down a lot of doors for some artists.

Woland, glad to see you mentioned Gary Numan. I am a huge fan of his. He was one of the first to record a complete album using only synthesizers as instruments. Most people only know him for "Cars", but I have all his albums and he put out some exceptional tunes otherwise.

#1260 - 10/25/07 09:29 AM Re: Growing up 80's [Re: fakepropht]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
 Quote:
Fist, I am surprised you didn't mention some of the great bands that came out of the DC area. Black Flag being one of them, though they get credit for Cali. Bad Brains, The Meatmen, Fugazi, and Minor Threat.

Well (like Regan would say), where I was going with this thread is to give people an idea of what 80's scene was actually like. Everything 'alternative' to day is a poor copy of what came before it. We have great tools today like the web, cell phones, and social networking but everything back then was in live and in real time. The 'scene' today, such as it is, is pretty lame.

DC of course, had a great scene. Bad Brains was alway awesome. The Meatmen from NOVA were a riot. Tesco Vee just plain didn't give a fuck and was completely politically incorrect, he real was 'punk.' Now punk means to be a faggoty leftist with a Che shirt. Iain McKay? I don't think so. Minor Treat was OK but the straight edge movement was for 80lb vegans who were sometimes Krishnas who usually got their ass kicked all the time. Fugayzi? Give me a break.

Black Flag? Did that act ever move around. Depending on who you asked they were from LA, NY, or DC. It was hard to tell. Rollins ruined Black Flag but he did do a lot of shows and made his energy made it a household name (maybe just in my house?). What was funny is how Rollins started lifting weights after more than a few people in DC kicked his ass. Don't be a tough guy!

Yeah, old 9:30 and DC Space. I remember it...

#1355 - 11/02/07 12:29 AM Re: Growing up 80's [Re: Fist]
Meq Offline
Banned

I remember the computers and video games of the 80s.
I soon got bored of merely playing, and took to creating my own video games.

#1473 - 11/06/07 03:44 AM Re: Growing up 80's [Re: Meq]
I.C. Graves Offline
stranger

Carburetors, 15" rims, "River's Edge", an actual "live and underground" Metal scene with less ego, 6 string BC Rich Bich, 4 string Warlock bass, ripped blue jeans, Yngwie Malmsteen, factory chrome, AMC Eagle, girl on girl action (before it became trendy), Cliff Burton, Iron Maiden, Government Issue, Richard Ramirez, Mark David Chapman, John Hinkley Jr., '84 Detroit Tigers, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Evil Dead, Trouble, Agent Steel, Death of Bon Scott....
#1530 - 11/07/07 01:30 PM Re: Growing up 80's [Re: Asmedious]
Sinistar Offline

Good for you for admitting the mullet! Since you're from NYC, did ever go upstate and discover that the mullet is still alive and well today? It's strange, I don't even find it funny. I just think: "Good for you, man!"

Were you guys ever paranoid about seeing that big mushroom cloud out in the horizon? I didn't let it totally consume me back then, but the thought did linger in the back of my mind. I would think about basements, laundry rooms, etc. and wonder if it was the safe in there if the Russians, Chinese, or Cubans ever decided to push the button. I think that it takes at least 6 feet of concrete to be relatively safe from radiation and about 10 years for the radiation to dissipate. "The Day After" really did a number on me!

Hey, I was in my teens at the time, so I have an excuse.

#1534 - 11/07/07 02:23 PM Re: Growing up 80's [Re: Sinistar]

Quote:
Good for you for admitting the mullet! Since you're from NYC, did ever go upstate and discover that the mullet is still alive and well today? It's strange, I don't even find it funny. I just think: "Good for you, man!"

LOL, actually, I am as far upstate as one can get, without speaking in a Canadian accent.
No, I haven't seen any mullets around here as of late. Although, they say, that if you wate around long enough, everything comes back into fashion eventually.

As for worrying about the "Mushroom Cloud," not at all. By the eighties, it really wasn't much of an issue. It was obvious to most, that Gorbachev (sp?) wanted good realations with the West.
Plus I would travel behind the Iron curtain quite often back then, and would see that those people were too busy enjoying their life to "push the button."
The whole thing was mainly propaganda on both sides of the pond.

Edited by Asmedious (11/07/07 02:25 PM)

Page 1 of 11 12345>Last »

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.