Page 10 of 11 « First<7891011>
Topic Options
#44947 - 12/15/10 05:39 AM Re: Growing up 80's [Re: manofsteel]
Clarence Offline
pledge

Damned right. Of course I had to wait until the 90's to really take advantage of that fact, being quite young.

Oh yes, Texas Chainsaw Massacre. And the sequel [the second was awesome, then they went down hill]. And Evil Dead,of course - all the video nasties for that matter: Zombie Apocalypse, Eaten Alive etc. etc.

Oh great Bog, how I wish Dr Aquino and friends at the TOS had been approached for the original Walk Like an Egyptian music video. I'd like to think that they would've jumped at the chance. No offence intended. I'd give my right arm to have seen them rocking out to it. Just priceless. \:\)

#44962 - 12/15/10 11:02 AM Re: Growing up 80's [Re: Clarence]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: Clarence
how I wish Dr Aquino and friends at the TOS had been approached for the original Walk Like an Egyptian music video. I'd like to think that they would've jumped at the chance. No offence intended. I'd give my right arm to have seen them rocking out to it. Just priceless. \:\)

Something like this, except that I'd have to spend a lot more time in the gym & dojo to move like M.J.

#44976 - 12/15/10 06:57 PM Re: Growing up 80's [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Clarence Offline
pledge

Originally Posted By: Michael A.Aquino
Something like this, except that I'd have to spend a lot more time in the gym & dojo to move like M.J.

Ha! Beautiful. Though it might benefit from some random Crowleyesque poses for effect. Possibly a combination of the 'The Enterer', 'Isis Mourning' and 'Air'.

I too might suffer a catastrophic injury in trying to make some M.J. moves. \:\) The action comes in at about the 45 sec mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7Qo74_L3vo

If the link fails, Joe R. Lansdales' short story Bubba Ho Tep will provide the gist of it:

Quote:
"I was gyrating", Elvis said. "Doing 'Blue Moon' but my hip went out. I'd been having trouble with it"...

"You swiveled right off the stage?" Callie said. "Now that's sexy."

#44991 - 12/16/10 04:30 AM Re: Growing up 80's [Re: Clarence]
Harvey Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: Clarence

I too might suffer a catastrophic injury in trying to make some M.J. moves. \:\) ...

Quote:
"I was gyrating", Elvis said. "Doing 'Blue Moon' but my hip went out. I'd been having trouble with it"...

"You swiveled right off the stage?" Callie said. "Now that's sexy."
[/quote]

Classic. What an image!

You guys were not kidding about Susanna Hoffs. She is just magic - I've had an epic crush for her since, well, forever.

Compare the 1988 version of In Your Room

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9_Jt3-fDug

To the present (ok, the sound is not 100%, but I can vouch for them live \:\) )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8RONFaUlAA&feature=related

#45058 - 12/17/10 04:35 AM Re: Growing up 80's [Re: Harvey]
Clarence Offline
pledge

Originally Posted By: Harvey
In Your Room

It was that song that prompted me to take up the guitar - it's just so simple and effective that I figured, I can do that too. And so it was. \:\)

Not a fan of the Depeche Mode version though. Sick of Sarah did a great cover a while back.

#47496 - 01/29/11 01:01 AM Re: Growing up 80's [Re: Fist]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

This should probably be in "Growing Up '50s/'60s", but what the hell ...

I must have missed this last year, but apparently 77 Sunset Strip is coming back bigscreen. [Scroll down to the comments for one by Stephanie Zimbalist, "Stu Bailey's" daughter.]

For those of you with GoogleEarth, type in "8532 Sunset Drive, West Hollywood, CA" to see the original building today. Across the still-there driveway where Kookie used to park Bailey's Thunderbird was Dino's Lodge (at 8524), owned by Dean Martin and a regular dinner-spot for the Church of Satan Priesthood in the early 1970s. [And if you need a further C/S connection, how about this?]

Not too far away, incidentally, at 7439 Sunset, is the famous Sunset Grill of the Don Henley song. If you're wondering why it doesn't look as ratty today as it sounds in the song, that's because Henley was singing of it in the old days before it got renovated and gentrified. Back in the '60s/'70s when I periodically stopped there for a cheap burger and fun-peoplewatching, it was just a little counterstool shack that looked like this [scroll down to the photos and look for the one taken at the SG].

Exit music, please! Snap, snap!

#47499 - 01/29/11 02:15 AM Re: Growing up 80's [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Jake999 Offline

Originally Posted By: Michael A.Aquino
Across the still-there driveway where Kookie used to park Bailey'sThunderbird...

I don't think it'll be the same without Ed Byrnes and Connie Stevens and their hit, Kookie, Kookie, Lend Me Your Comb.

#77370 - 06/23/13 01:40 PM Re: Growing up 80's [Re: Fist]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Loc: Virginia
 Quote:
Unfortunately, a lot of the music and attempts at counterculture we see today are sad shadows of what came before it.

The same could be said for the 60's & 70's. The 80's are often described as the age of Rebellion, usually attributed to specific Music Genre's and Fashion styling, but I was born at the beginning of the 70's and it just seemed to be a natural progression.

My parents were 50's/60's kids, the music and counter-culture that emerged seemed to be reactionary of the 50's doo-wop/Beaver Clever family model. Rock n' Roll was the Devil's device and teens were using it as a way to liberate themselves from traditional societal values. Then there's the political slant with the Civil Rights/Women's Lib angle. By the 70's those issues were still at the forefront but seemed to take a second seat to the Vietnam War. Plus, you have to account for the technological advancements that made all of this more visible and present in your average household. Rotary phones to push-buttons and cordless, car phones that you needed to carry like a briefcase, trading in rabbit ears for the clicker and cable tv and video killing the Record Store.

Bands like K.I.S.S. stopped being cool, and Zepplin & Aerosmith made a big come back.

As a teen we hung out in the Music stores because that's where everything was happening. I remember the old mimeograph copies being handed out in Middle School later it was Xerox copies. Usually to some remote location to see a garage band or the latest Punk group coming out of Boston. I watched Disco turn into Pop right in our family kitchen where my mother kept a stereo/record player that looked like an end-table when the lid was closed. Our TV and Microwave were just as big. There emerged rap and Hip-Hop. Next thing you know men are using hairspray, rocking pink lipstick and the sounds seemed to blend disco and rock. A lot of female musicians seemed to emerge in the 80's too. Seemed like every girl my age wanted to look like Pat Benetar or Joan Jett. I remember the cut and color I got when I was about 13, and people called me 'Jones Jett' because of it. Prior to that my Grandmother (a hairdresser) forced a mullet on me, and my brother had a rat-tail. I hated it. By the time I was allowed to grow it out, I had some absurd Big-hair do that looked like a lion's mane and I walked off the latest Heart album. Incidentally, there's a Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame concert coming up here in the next month, Hearth is the leading act.

TV seemed to be on 24/7 and it poured in a never-ending stream of trending in music, films, TV Shows and the latest in trendy fashion. Today, a lot of that stuff is part of Cult Classic. Truth is, 80's clothing was horrid. The music left much to be desired and the 'scene' was all over the place. It was crazy to see a lot of the fashions make a comeback in the early 2000's and even today. Acid Wash should be banned, and killed with fire on sight, the same goes for parachute pants and female Hip-hop fashion. The 80's gave us Madonna, Culture Club, Boy George, The Go Gos, and Hair Bands. I much preferred the music of the 90's. I was never a fan of grunge but absolutely loved the music of Nirvana and still do.

The 80's also had fashion drugs, where Cocaine was the 'in thing' and it was commonplace for people to snort lines at their tables or VIP lounge in night clubs.

#77503 - 06/28/13 01:33 PM Re: Growing up 80's [Re: SIN3]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
 Originally Posted By: SIN3

The 80's also had fashion drugs, where Cocaine was the 'in thing' and it was commonplace for people to snort lines at their tables or VIP lounge in night clubs.

I was unaware that this had fallen out of fashion. From my observations in the field heavy drinking and cocaine seem to go hand in hand (at least in the DC/Baltimore area). Sadly, the wonderful world of designer tryptamines has disappeared.

None the less, I still don't like grunge and do not get the least bit nostalgic about it. These days I am truly desperate for someone to pick up the black flag and produce some music that doesn't suck.

#77506 - 06/28/13 03:59 PM Re: Growing up 80's [Re: Fist]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Loc: Virginia
I don't know that its so 'out in the open' as it was in the 80's (Cocaine). It seems now-a-days that Meth is the 'in thing', whereas it was Crack in the 90's. Not my scene but I see it quite often if I go out to a club. The women's bathroom is a scene all to itself.

And I couldn't agree more on the Music, I rarely listen to the Radio anymore, everything that comes out of it is some poppy shit. I long to hear a new song that gives me goose-bumps its so damn good.

#77804 - 07/06/13 10:56 AM Re: Growing up 80's [Re: SIN3]
Ken Barrett Offline
stranger

Loc: Devil's Hole, USA
80s, where do I begin. Well, I still have many things from that era of my life. Ninja stars, break dancin' clothes (parachute pants/new wave shirts), bandanas with japanese rising sun, records too, along with buying old arcade games today from the 80s, like my rockin' 1981 donkey kong upright. Also got a 1985 motorcycle (an antique according to my state, at least I don't have to pay yearly taxes on it). I liked the music from the era, but glad rock-n-roll is dead (RIP R-n-R, 1955-1998), time to move on for sure. I do remember the left-over hippies back in the 80s. I remember strangers being quite nice back then, today most are hostile, especially near the big cities.

#88987 - 06/07/14 02:23 AM Re: Growing up 80's [Re: Fist]
LoneWolf78 Offline

Alf, Punky Brewster, Pee–Wee Herman.

Geraldo, and the era of Satanic Panic.

Motley Crue, Guns N' Roses, Ozzy, and Metallica to name a few

Star Wars, The Gremlins, ET, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, and Child's Play.

Atari, Nintendo, arcades and 7/11's with arcade games..Mat-Mania.

Spuds Mackenzie, the Budweiser Babes, and Joe Camel.

#88999 - 06/07/14 03:25 PM Re: Growing up 80's [Re: LoneWolf78]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: LoneWolf78
Alf, Punky Brewster, Pee–Wee Herman. Geraldo, and the era of Satanic Panic. Motley Crue, Guns N' Roses, Ozzy, and Metallica to name a few Star Wars, The Gremlins, ET, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, and Child's Play. Atari, Nintendo, arcades and 7/11's with arcade games..Mat-Mania. Spuds Mackenzie, the Budweiser Babes, and Joe Camel.

Dude, Star Wars was, like, 1977. The space-opera escapism of that decade.

How could you possibly get through the Conspicuous Consumption '80s without Miami Vice and the DCC?

Is this a great country or what?

#89000 - 06/07/14 03:31 PM Re: Growing up 80's [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
antikarmatomic Offline
BANNED
stalker

Loc: El Mundo
and not mention "Werewolf" - fuck! I loved that show! yet, almost no one seems to remember it \:\(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werewolf_%28TV_series%29

#89001 - 06/07/14 03:42 PM Re: Growing up 80's [Re: Fist]
Xaziel Offline
Banned

Loc: California
The 80's were booming. The economy was through the roof and we had 600 warships at sea, plus a much larger nuclear arsenal. It was great.

The movies; Ferris Buller's day off, The Breakfast Club, The Goonies, Pretty in Pink, Sixteen Candles, Just one of the guys, Weird Science, Fast Times at Ridgemont High...as for music, where would I start? Berlin, Heart, The Go-Go's, Eurythmics, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Pat Benetar, The Fixx....all worth hearing over and over.

The girls dressed great in the 80's. Lots of fluorescent colors and lace stockings, and you could usually spot the chick who was into the Cure. Back then, you had comedians like Sam Kinison and Andrew Dice Clay saying things on stage that could very well get you blackballed now. Oy! They were rough on the gays...I think it was Dice who wore a T-Shirt on stage which was a take-off of the "Black Flag" insect spray and it said, "AIDS kills fags dead". You can't get away with those antics these days...it was nowhere nearly as PC back then. 6th graders could play dodge ball and little kids could draw tanks and guns at school without the National Guard being called in. There was more freedom. More common sense in many respects.

Page 10 of 11 « First<7891011>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.025 seconds of which 0.004 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.