Page 11 of 11 « First<7891011
Topic Options
#89006 - 06/07/14 05:06 PM Re: Growing up 80's [Re: Xaziel]
Le Deluge Offline

Hmm. The tunes I like "from the 80s" can be traced back to the 70s. A lot of them came off the London Scene circe '77. Bauhaus, Joy Division/New Order, Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Cure, The Exploited, Subhumans. The same held true in the US. You can go all the way back to the NY Dolls etc. All were a reaction to the "lazy 70s".

The movies I like were more contingent on the creator: Lynch, Romero, etc.

The lasting impact of the 80s seems to be an odd "virtual nostalgia" amongst younger folks. I lived directly in the flightpath of a lot of planes coming from Miramar (Top Gun) as a kid. I think a lot of folks were a bit miffed when it went Marines. They do still have the air shows most years.

#89019 - 06/07/14 07:52 PM Re: Growing up 80's [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
LoneWolf78 Offline

Yea yea, Star Wars came out in 77 sure, but the franchise OWNED the '80's .

BTW awesome Star Wars smiley thingies :).

Yup, I did forget Miami Vice and DCC.

Also, Knight Rider, The A Team, Rambo, Rocky, 1 900 numbers, VHS, cassette tapes, which oddly enough I still consider more compact than compact discs .

#89026 - 06/07/14 09:09 PM Re: Growing up 80's [Re: LoneWolf78]
LoneWolf78 Offline

I apologize for a reply to self, but I remembered one of my humorous creations regarding Star Wars. Enjoy

Holy Wars

Edited by LoneWolf78 (06/07/14 09:10 PM)

#89039 - 06/07/14 10:16 PM Re: Growing up 80's [Re: LoneWolf78]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: LoneWolf78
Yea yea, Star Wars came out in 77 sure, but the franchise OWNED the '80's .

Personally I think that people who got fixated on Star Wars are hopeless mental cases.

#89044 - 06/07/14 10:40 PM Re: Growing up 80's [Re: LoneWolf78]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: LoneWolf78
I apologize for a reply to self, but I remembered one of my humorous creations regarding Star Wars. Enjoy

The Force is strong in this one ... You do realize that Darth's original lines were voiced by R. Lee Ermey and toned down a bit for the final released version of the movie?

#89046 - 06/07/14 10:47 PM Re: Growing up 80's [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
LoneWolf78 Offline

At the risk of a one liner [well, ok I might go beyond one ]

No, I did not realize that. So thank you for teaching me something new. ;\)

Basically, a friend of mine had a celebrity wars kind of thing on his page asking his readers to pick and choose.

I was just trying to take it to another level and make him and his readers go huh

#89051 - 06/07/14 11:32 PM Re: Growing up 80's [Re: LoneWolf78]
LoneWolf78 Offline

Here is George C Scott reviewing it on blu-ray.
#111752 - 03/12/17 06:40 PM Re: Growing up 80's [Re: LoneWolf78]
Creatura Noptii Offline

Loc: Oregon
I enjoy 80s style synth music, it reminds me of childhood. When I was a kid, I grew up on a great deal of 80s films, like The Never Ending Story, Predator, Terminator, Aliens. Never quite got into comics, super heros, and only in recent years have I taken a liking to some of the elements in Star Wars. I don't really care for anything outside the original three films, save for Darth Maul.

I was born in the late '80s and grew up as a kid in the '90s. A great deal of music from that time were bands who formed in the '80s, so I call my roots in the '80s and '90s.

It is quite possible I am from the last generation of kids who used to play out in the forest, or play outside for the majority. I see that kids still like to go outside, but they almost always quite and go back in after a short time for their technological gadgets. When I was a kid we used to knock on one another's door, call eachother up on cable telephones and meet down the road and go for walks down to the forest, make hideouts, forts, re-enact scenes from our favourite '80s films.

A lot of my friends weren't allowed to watch the movies I'd taken custom to, so I'd have to tell them about it and even let them watch things like Predator and Terminator over at my house when parents weren't around.

There were very few things as far as technological distraction and video games to get in the way, and I am very fond of my childhood and being able to play outside as much as I did.

Growing up in Oregon, one can get spoiled by the abundance of green grass, trees, and wildlife everywhere. We used to go bullfrog hunting, snake hunting, wildlife exploring in general.

Even when I lived in a downtown area, we used to go play basketball or walk around town remaining outside for the most part, listening to the likes of White Zombie, Korn, Metallica, whatever.

At least half the time I went out alone without friends, it was a habit and my parents didn't mind. They weren't paranoid and knew where I was going. I think since they were cool about it I didn't feel a need to lie to them so it worked out.

I don't know if today's generation gets outside as much as mine did, I think the '80s born were the last generation as a whole to spend the majority of their time outside.

#111753 - 03/12/17 08:17 PM Re: Growing up 80's [Re: Creatura Noptii]
ShadowLover Offline

Loc: Gold Coast, Australia
I think people always like the music they grow up with. I was born in '69 so I grew up listening to the 70's ABBA and the BeeGee's as well as the music my Mum grew up with from the 50's and 60's.

(Jimmy died when I was 3yo but somehow The Doors just never gets old...)

But being a teen in the 80's was fun. ...Although our fashion sense, in hindsight, was a bit iffy. Lots of pastels and perms! And jeans so tight you had to lay down to do them up - I remember helping friends to get into them! (Fashion zips must have been stronger back then).

We didn't even all have phones but we knew how and where and when to find each other.

And laws were less enforced. In Australia you have to be 18yo to frequent drinking establishments but I remember going occasionally when I was 16 and regularly when I was 17yo - the bouncer used to warn us a week ahead when the D's were coming and tell us what time it was safe to come by. One night stands were in fashion and AIDS hadn't quite taken hold of society so few people were afraid of diseases.

And we did a lot of active things - camping, shooting, building things (like rafts), bowling, rollerskating (in legwarmers), parties by dams or on the beach. Now fires are illegal almost everywhere! And we used to dress up as ninjas (because martial arts movies were all the rage) and play in the scrub. I guess I was a bit of a tomboy...

We would have video nights, but because it was a new thing, most people didn't have players, so we would have to hire the video player as well as the movies. And we still went to drive-ins - most of them have closed down now...

Compared to now, I think our variety of activities was much more diverse.

Edited by ShadowLover (03/12/17 08:22 PM)

Page 11 of 11 « First<7891011

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.06 seconds of which 0.025 seconds were spent on 22 queries. Zlib compression disabled.