Page 7 of 11 « First<56789>Last »
Topic Options
#25426 - 06/05/09 10:51 PM Re: Growing up 80's [Re: Castello]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Are all your posts going to be these pointless, add nothing to the conversation one liners? Doesn't anyone familairize themselves with the rules anymore? I mean, I let the occasional one liner slip but not every single fucking post I make.

#38948 - 05/31/10 04:05 PM Re: Growing up 80's [Re: Fist]
cadfael Offline
Banned
stranger

Loc: Tn.
The 80's time immortal, a time of great wonderment, what is....No I loved the 80's , it was a time of self remembering, from the 70's, The time we took our own and was proud to have lived in an era that only we know how to interpret, owns was we are alive and living, now it is just going thru the motions of yesteryear trying to create what we had.
#38952 - 05/31/10 08:35 PM Absolutely essential for serious police work. [Re: Fist]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
Seven thread pages about the '80s and not a single mention of what defined the decade? For shame!

Though I have to say that when I eventually got my hands on a TR, I was disappointed. Unless you bolt a Tubi exhaust on, that DOHC flat-12 is as quiet as a Chevrolet, and the front spoiler is delicate fiberglass. You don't get any low-end torque at all, and driving the car through the average American city's potholed streets would pulverize its nose in short order. So the MV chase sequences had to be filmed on carefully-selected routes and with audio overgrowls.

In 2010 we are clearly headed for a PC, ecological, and decaffeinated age of anemic electric & hybrid go-karts, so hurry up and push your skeleton out your back with a maniacal, knuckle-dragging throwback pig like this. Getting on the gas in a KR is like being mugged by angels: Your mind & body end up in complete disarray, but you still feel blessed.

#38954 - 05/31/10 08:53 PM Re: Cops Go Fast. The Don Goes in Comfort. [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Jake999 Offline

Never enjoyed being in cars that crushed your balls and made you feel like you were wrapped in the the skin of the vehicle. The Compleat Witch had me pegged... and I still stick with it.

Lincoln Town Car. Accept no substitutes.

#38958 - 05/31/10 10:24 PM Re: Absolutely essential for serious police work. [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
MatthewJ1
Unregistered

Sorry Dr. A, but I disagree.

That damn Dodge Charger from The Dukes of Hazzard is the way to go!

Also that van from The A-Team. That van used to fly through the air as often as 'The General Lee' and still incurred no damage at all. They just don't make em like that anymore.

The only other TV car worthy of being mentioned is that thing from Starsky and Hutch. Good stuff!

#38959 - 05/31/10 10:57 PM Re: Absolutely essential for serious police work. [Re: ]
Jake999 Offline

I dunno... the 1966 Imperial that they used for the BLACK BEAUTY in the Green Hornet program was kinda sweet.

#38962 - 06/01/10 12:50 AM Re: Absolutely essential for serious police work. [Re: Jake999]
MatthewJ1
Unregistered

Yes and then there is this: be warned and be ready for THE CAR!

‘Fasten your seatbelts for the terrifying thrill ride that has become a cult classic - The Car! The peaceful tranquility of a small Western town is disturbed when a murderous car wreaks havoc by viciously mowing down innocent victims. New sheriff, Wade Parent (James Brolin), may be the only one who can stop this menace in its tracks until he realizes that the driver of this indestructible vehicle is far more dangerous than any man… it is driven by pure evil.’

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFWea3Eu97E

Woo Hoo!

#38963 - 06/01/10 01:18 AM Re: Absolutely essential for serious police work. [Re: ]
Jake999 Offline

THE CAR Trivia:

From IMDb:

The Car is a custom built Lincoln (good taste) Mark III with a 460 cubic inch V8 engine. It cost $84,000 dollars to build in 1977 - Today's cost would be about $311,678.
12 craftsmen built the main car in six weeks out of steel and five additional cars out of fiberglass.
Two of the fiberglass cars were destroyed in rollover scenes and three were
destroyed in the final explosion scene.
-------------
THE CAR was built by the Barris Kustoms group and was sold in 1980 to an unknown buyer.
It cranked 365 horsepower at 500 lb/ft torque.
Overall length 216.1" with a 117.2" wheel base, Weight was 4,762 pounds.

(To put that into perspective, my Town Car is 2" longer with basically the same wheel base, but only weighs 4,040 pounds and generates 210 horsepower with 275 lb/ft torque.)

THE CAR was a mean ass Lincoln on steroids!

#38977 - 06/01/10 12:57 PM Oh, that's just Jake ... [Re: Jake999]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: Jake999
Lincoln Town Car. Accept no substitutes.

So that was you who blew my doors off the other night ...

Don't know if he still had it when you were there, but ASLV's personal road weapon of choice was his black Olds Toronado, which he considered a phallic symbol easily surpassing the XKE. Since the Cord got the garage, the Toronado was originally parked out front, and unfortunately got vandalized by punks. He tried parking it around the corner, but its looks & ZAMZAM plates still gave it away.

#38979 - 06/01/10 02:09 PM Re: Oh, that's just Jake ... [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Jake999 Offline

Yep! I had the honor of whipping through town in the Toronado once... had the plate number 999 FCS. I don't know what he did with it. He never told me, so I assumed he had it in storage someplace.

I much more enjoyed the limo, but it was more like cruising a shark through traffic and people were always gawking at it to see who was inside.

Dr. LaVey and Lady Diane wanted to go to the Concourse d' Elegance (if memory serves in Burlingame), so I volunteered to drive the limo. Once we got there, I dropped them off and went to park, but parking was a long way off, so I drove up up the gate like I belonged there and schmoozed my way in, explaining that this was a historic limo, one of the last such Cadillac Fleetwood limos in all of Northern California. Once past the gate, I found a place to park on the main drag of the Concourse, and became an exhibit. People loved the car.

Dr, LaVey and Lady Diane came strolling up to the car, and I ceremoniously let them in the vehicle with snap. Dr. LaVey had an amused look on his face and people were snapping all the photos they could. Lady Diane was glad she didn't have to walk that far!

Most times, when we were just out and about on some errand, I would drive my Mercury Marquis, which he found comfortable and aesthetically pleasing. I had stations that didn't play rock on the buttons for quick change over, lest my head be removed from my body.

#38980 - 06/01/10 02:10 PM The grinning kid has it right. [Re: ]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: MatthewJ1
Sorry Dr. A, but I disagree. That damn Dodge Charger from The Dukes of Hazzard is the way to go!

Naah, GT500s eat Dodges for lunch.

You can also have a relaxing time driving through L.A. in a Ferrari 308 ...

But back in the '80s the TR would still get you through Miami when need be.

#38981 - 06/01/10 03:30 PM Sigh, never enough garages! [Re: Jake999]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

I much more enjoyed the limo, ... one of the last such Cadillac Fleetwood limos in all of Northern California. Once past the gate, I found a place to park on the main drag of the Concourse, and became an exhibit. People loved the car.

That must have been a later arrival. In the early '70s their formal car was a black Buick Limited. I found a couple of my old snapshots, unfortunately a bit faded. No photos of the Olds or the Cord. Anton was definitely a fellow car freak, and at the time also had an ice-blue Jag 3.8 sedan. Don't think I ever saw him angrier than when the Shell attendant at 19th & Taraval scratched it while gassing it up.

Karla, like Emma Peel, was into Lotuses. Since I was a longtime devotee [of both the marque and Mrs. P], I suggested an Elan +2S similar to the one I acquired on return from Vietnam, but don't know if she ever took the plunge. Today I'd point her at the Evora, which is a breathtaking [and comfortable] car.

#38982 - 06/01/10 03:43 PM Re: Sigh, never enough garages! [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Jake999 Offline

LOL! I wanted the Cord BAD. I got to see it once. It was like waiving a rock of crack in front of a crackhead. I dove for it and was promptly tackled by 27.5 masked ninjas who appeared from nowhere. Well... in my dreams anyway. It was a beautiful car.

Dr. LaVey told me he'd let me drive it one day if he felt like making a run down the coast. I'd have done it in a second, but I think I would have been absolutely petrified of scratching it. It would be a death sentence for sure.

He was looking at a classic green Jag at one point in Burlingame, not far from Le Chateau restaurant (real turkey dinners every Sunday). I don't think he was able to negotiate the deal he wanted for it. Shortly after we met, he drove me across town in a 280 Z that he had and HATED. It was that awful orange color someone thought was "sporty." He was on a rant over how he had been under duress to buy it and wanted it GONE. It was soon after.

LOL! I noted the "chauffer's cap" in the pics. Jake don't do chauffer caps. I think I would have purposely lost my license if it had ever been suggested. Butchaknow, some people would wear one... mostly people with T for an initial...

#38990 - 06/02/10 04:47 AM Re: Sigh, never enough garages! [Re: Jake999]
Jake999 Offline

It occurred to me that most of you are too young to ever have seen a 1936 Cord, so I'll post a picture of this one, which is similar to the object of my LUST. Rare and extremely expensive, if you can find one.

#39008 - 06/02/10 02:58 PM The "Coffin Nose" [Re: Jake999]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

It occurred to me that most of you are too young to ever have seen a 1936 Cord, so I'll post a picture of this one, which is similar to the object of my LUST.

More photos and other fun stuff here

Quote:
Rare and extremely expensive, if you can find one.

Starting apparently around $80K; see here.

Of course if you really want to make an entrance [and like to stand up next to your chauffeur], try a MB 770.

Page 7 of 11 « First<56789>Last »

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.028 seconds of which 0.003 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.