Page 8 of 11 « First<678910>Last »
Topic Options
#39020 - 06/02/10 10:09 PM Re: The grinning kid has it right. [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
MatthewJ1
Unregistered

Okay okay Dr. Aquino, I am prepared to admit that the GT 500 can possibly eat a Dodge for breakfast.

But you must concede defeat and admit that "The Mad Max Interceptor" is the king of all the movie cars! Nothing can touch it or even comes close!

It doesn’t get better than this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oawspa5EVzs

Yeah!

#39023 - 06/03/10 12:09 AM Tach it up! [Re: ]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: MatthewJ1
But you must concede defeat and admit that "The Mad Max Interceptor" is the king of all the movie cars! Nothing can touch it or even comes close! It doesn’t get better than this.

Arguably it recently got just a little better ... and in action ...

I must say we've come a long way from the BM of my youth. I [along with every other hooky-playing teenager in Santa Barbara] was down at Stern's Wharf to watch the Batman movie filming there. The BM was a distinct disappointment. It was a modified Lincoln Continental, so unwieldy that it rocked and bounced at more than the slowest speeds. Whenever it was shown in the TV series or the movie, the film was usually speeded up - as is evident from the lazy, upward-drifting "jet exhaust". ;\)

Jake and I grew up under the influence of Big Daddy Roth's Rat Fink, Mr. Gasser, et al. Doubtless it occasionally shows.

#39026 - 06/03/10 01:17 AM Re: Tach it up! [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Jake999 Offline

Rat Fink Forever!

This is a pic of what I had for a car in 1967-1969 just before I went into the military. It was a 1963 Karmann Ghia. Defininitely no guts and no glory, but it was CHEAP. I got it for $500 when the guy who owned it racked it up on the highway, and my brother put it back together for me. (I am mechanically challenged.) Of course, being a poor kid living in E. St. Louis during the gang wars and race riots, a car was a way to get from here to there in one piece and laid at the drive in on Saturday night. It had an AM radio but I upgraded it to AM/FM so I could listen to KSHE St. Louis... it was the station for "bad boys."

Not MY pic... after all of these years, any pics I had of mine are long gone.

#39027 - 06/03/10 01:23 AM Re: Tach it up! [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
MatthewJ1
Unregistered

I like that Batmobile Dr. Aquino. It certainly is more sci-fi than that old Mad Max Interceptor.

My love of the MM Interceptor kind of shows my age.

When I was growing up in the 1980’s every kid I knew (including myself) was into the Mad Max movies (even though many actually hadn’t seen them due to ratings) and desperately wanted to own this car, or, at the very least spout as much trivia and gibberish as possible about it in order to impress others.

We grew up out in the western suburbs of Sydney, which is a flat, harsh and horrible place during summer. There is just too much open space and very little shade or greenery. The people who live out there are (or were) blunt, unsophisticated and somehow quintessentially Australian, with this simple set of values they would almost kill others over. It was focused on traditional gender roles, mateship, grog, BBQ’s and big loud cars and listening to harsh music.

There was almost nothing to do out there when I was growing up, except getting a licence and hitting the wide open roads in powerful Ford Falcons and Fairlanes, and big Holden Commodores, and just driving and racing others and getting into fights etc.

Anyway, there is still a great deal of Australian myth still wrapped up in that MM interceptor and that movie for me.

I think the myth may have slowly passed away. I definitely think the times are gone and the attitudes have changed.

#39044 - 06/03/10 03:13 PM Aussie Goat [Re: ]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: MatthewJ1
Anyway, there is still a great deal of Australian myth still wrapped up in that MM interceptor and that movie for me.

Australia still builds great cars. Most recently in my experience a 2006 Pontiac GTO, which you know as the Holden Monaro. Not only did it eat roads [and anything else unfortunate enough to be on them], but it was built as solidly as a Mercedes [which was definitely not the case with USA-produced GM vehicles]. The new Goat didn't quite make it over here because some thought it looked like a jellybean, but I liked it doubleplusgood.

#39045 - 06/03/10 03:44 PM Re: Aussie Goat [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Jake999 Offline

LOL! It's a far cry from the Goat my brother had back in 65! I dunno why they assumed that smaller was better. Same thing happened with the LeMans. But I remember the Goat when it was GLORIOUS!
The Goat King

#39047 - 06/03/10 05:16 PM Turn it on, wind it up, blow it out! [Re: Jake999]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: Jake999
LOL! It's a far cry from the Goat my brother had back in 65! I dunno why they assumed that smaller was better. Same thing happened with the LeMans. But I remember the Goat when it was GLORIOUS!

All the males of our generation remember (a) where they were when JFK was shot, (b) their first ride in a GTO, and (c) their first sexual experience. Usually in that order.

The 65 was definitely the signature year. The San Mateo BSA Executive picked me up at the airport in his white tripower 65. I said, "So what's the big deal about GTOs?" He just smiled and stomped the go-pedal, and I said .

Lilith never understood it until a couple of years ago when I found a 65 at a local dealership, which was kind enough to allow me to drive her once around the block. When we got back a few seconds later, she was basically and thanked me along the lines of "Are you out of your ******* mind!?"

The thing with the 2006 GTO was that it had to meet USA crash tests, not to mention that our parking spaces [at least in SF] are shrinking. 1950s land yachts won't fit here anymore. Pontiac had stopped making brutal engines, so the 06 had the 400hp LS2 borrowed from the Vette. Definitely enough to pass anything on the highway but a gas station.

Karmann Ghias were a really beautiful redesign of the classic Bug, but I couldn't quite fit in one and also needed the extra luggage space of a Bug (my first car, also like most of the rest of our generation). I stupidly put a Judson supercharger (fueled by Pep Boys' "Marvel Mystery Oil") on it, consequently blew the cylinder heads to bits going 100mph through the Sacto desert on a hot summer's day.

#39048 - 06/03/10 06:56 PM Re: Turn it on, wind it up, blow it out! [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Jake999 Offline

Thanks for the memory jog on the Ronny and the Daytonas hit LITTLE GTO! It's stuck in my head, so I'll be making a car special for Jake's Time Machine!

#39074 - 06/05/10 04:13 AM Re: Turn it on, wind it up, blow it out! [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Harvey Offline
stranger

Unfortunately the latest GTO concept (known as the Coupe 60 in Australia) failed reach production. It is based on the same platform as the new Camaro, so naturally its handling and performance has been substantially improved:

[url]http://www.ridelust.com/wp-content/uploads/holden-coupe-60-side.jpg]Bigger picture [/url]

Bigger picture here

Edited by Woland (08/10/10 12:57 PM)
Edit Reason: Image to large...

#41698 - 08/10/10 08:02 AM Re: Oh, that's just Jake ... [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Jake999 Offline

Originally Posted By: Michael A.Aquino
Don't know if he still had it when you were there, but ASLV's personal road weapon of choice was his black Olds Toronado, which he considered a phallic symbol easily surpassing the XKE.

Just an update on the Toronado. The BLACK BEAST still lives. Apparently it is now owned by the artist COOP.

#41700 - 08/10/10 09:08 AM Re: Oh, that's just Jake ... [Re: Jake999]
felixgarnet Offline

Loc: UK
Are you sure that's a car??? Looks more like the Black House on wheels to me. ;\)

#41704 - 08/10/10 10:32 AM Re: Oh, that's just Jake ... [Re: felixgarnet]
Jake999 Offline

Yeah, Felix... the Toronado looks like evil on a stick in black for sure. I wanted one when they came out, but I was a low rankin' GI then and that kind of $$$ was out of my range.

#41707 - 08/10/10 12:10 PM Re: Oh, that's just Jake ... [Re: Jake999]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Jake, just tell Mercedes to build you one of these.

#41710 - 08/10/10 12:34 PM Re: Oh, that's just Jake ... [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
I'm hoping I'm seeing of late a trend to return to the starship inspired designs of the late 1950's.

With all of that Mercedes' swoopy curves, it doesn't look far removed from some of the concept cars (and a few production models) of that time.

Bring back the fins! \:D

#41713 - 08/10/10 12:59 PM Re: Sigh, never enough garages! [Re: Jake999]
Woland Moderator Offline
Seasoned

Loc: Oslo, Norway
 Originally Posted By: Jake999
It occurred to me that most of you are too young to ever have seen a 1936 Cord, so I'll post a picture of this one, which is similar to the object of my LUST. Rare and extremely expensive, if you can find one.

Man; that was a nice one Jake.
*Wiping drivel off keyboard*

Woland

Contra Mundum!

Page 8 of 11 « First<678910>Last »

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.035 seconds of which 0.006 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.