Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#120889 - 11/28/19 12:43 AM Sponsored Content Makes Me Sad
CanisMachina42 Offline

Loc: Ca
I too weep tears for this country. As I can't convince myself an international audience is being pandered to.

Ouch. Is this serious? Is it such a challenge to name all 50 fucking states that it needs its own click bait advertisement laden slide show?

They could at least try.

I seriously want to know where in the fucking world Carmen San Diego went to. She must have been gang raped and left at an Uptown train station suffering from amnesia.

I can only hope it's expected that 98% of people get it right and it's only a ploy to sell me shit. That I can understand.

More than just the highlighted one, I find myself saddened by these sponsored adverts. I know it's ESPN, but still. Quizzes are fun, they make you willing put up with 70% of the screen being ads for Brawndo, but I'm wondering what analytics are seeing this trend towards the 90's SNL skit Celebrity Jeopardy.

*** Real thread ends ***

So yeah, this is a needless irritant I don't necessarily have to share, but I just feel SOOOOO much pain to see what the 'level' is. If they could only embrace things without hashtags or group chats they might not have succumb to this terrible fate of severely lowered expectations. They could be so much.

And what is worse is that they are so complacent in their plight. They like social circles and trendy social media platforms. They like getting stupid together and no amount of satire is fixing it. I just want people to be smart but everybody is embracing stupidity and pop culture consumption and being challenged by 3rd grade material. It makes me so sad I lactate milk for starving children.

Black women and Lebanese women and Arab women shouldn't have to care about social media either. And They could learn where the states are if they just tried. There is nothing preventing Black women and Lebanese women and Arab women from learning geography. They have equal right and entitlement and I am not preventing them from learning these basic things about geography.

The world no longer embraces Trivial Pursuit or even Boggle or geography. They need to be open to things not on tabloids and learn to embrace being smarter than a Jeff Foxworthy fan. And definitely smarter than a Larry The Cable Guy fan. Carmen San Diego could return in all her glory and feminine something or other if the Kardashians would just stop being kept up with. But people are just too wrapped up in being popular, pity really. They could've been so much in my invaluable eyes and opinion.

So yeah.

D. Scientific : Quod erat demonstrandum

#120891 - 11/28/19 11:13 AM Re: Sponsored Content Makes Me Sad [Re: CanisMachina42]
XiaoGui17 Offline
veteran member

Loc: Austin, TX
I find it amusing that I almost always respectfully disagree with you. (Except when it comes to poly shit, apparently.)

This is no exception.

Not to toot my own horn, but I'm what's generally known as a smarty pants, academically. I have test scores, trophies, degrees, and whatnot to show for it.

Put a world map in front of me, and I guarantee I'd identify far more than 99.9% of Americans could. (Not that this is setting the bar spectacularly high.) Nor would I have much trouble filling in a blank periodic table.

But I couldn't pick out North Carolina on an unlabeled map if you put a gun to my head.

Here's that map, filled in by me:

And you know what? I'm fine with that. Because I cannot think of a skill more utterly fucking useless.

You know when I need to know where Idaho is located? If, and only if, I'm going there. (I'm not, and I can think of no reason why I would be.) And if I were, I'd have a map out. Not a blank pop-quiz one, but one with those handy things called labels.

This is a party trick. It's obsolete. It's like writing in cursive. Nice to be able to do that and all, but when are you ever going to do it for anyone but yourself or your third-grade teacher?

I have a limited amount of time on this earth and I cannot think of worse way to waste it than memorizing the locations of the 50 states of the USA. If I want to pick up a nerdy-ass knowledge set that has no practical value, I'll learn something interesting and fun. This is neither.

Carmen Sandiego can lick my ass.

#120892 - 11/28/19 01:03 PM Re: Sponsored Content Makes Me Sad [Re: XiaoGui17]
CanisMachina42 Offline

Quote:
have a limited amount of time on this earth and I cannot think of worse way to waste it than memorizing the locations of the 50 states of the USA. If I want to pick up a nerdy-ass knowledge set that has no practical value, I'll learn something interesting and fun. This is neither.

Like my qualifier said this excludes foreign countries. A Texan learning where the other states are is Like myself learning the provinces or regions of France. I have heard of Champagne, Bordeaux, Lyon, but not much else.

*And I don't even know that, because fact checking has just taught me the regions of France are named; Champagne-Ardenne, Aquitaine, and Rhone-alpes respectively.

Per Texas, Can you name and locate several of the counties in your home country? Locate Tarrant, Harris, or Bexar County, and then tell me the seat of their governments/largest cities.

That is the Texas equivocation to my diatribe here.

Nevermind, comment withdrawn. I just attempted to do California, and my knowledge ended where Southern becomes Not Southern.

And the only reason I got those two in the upper left is weed.

Which, as it happens, is also the main inspiration for this thread.

#120894 - 11/28/19 02:06 PM Re: Sponsored Content Makes Me Sad [Re: CanisMachina42]
Kori Houghton Offline

Loc: East Coast USA
Some relative gave me a puzzle of the lower 48 states (because that's all there were at the time) before I started school. I loved the shapes, and how they fit together. I couldn't read, and my mom wouldn't help me teach myself. But I did get her to tell me the names of the states, a few each week, and memorized them easily. It was fun, playing with a toy. That's what I liked at age 3.

Once I could read I lost interest in memorizing random stuff. I regularly failed geography in primary school. Why bother learning to draw a map of the nations of Africa from memory? The borders are redrawn, and the names change. If you need to know about that, you can look it up.

#120896 - 11/28/19 10:43 PM Re: Sponsored Content Makes Me Sad [Re: CanisMachina42]
XiaoGui17 Offline
veteran member

Loc: Austin, TX
 Originally Posted By: CanisMachina42
Like my qualifier said this excludes foreign countries. A Texan learning where the other states are is Like myself learning the provinces or regions of France.
Your recognition is much appreciated.

Originally Posted By: CanisMachina42
Per Texas, Can you name and locate several of the counties in your home country? Locate Tarrant, Harris, or Bexar County, and then tell me the seat of their governments/largest cities.
Yes, I can manage that. Fort Worth, Houston, and San Antonio, respectively.

A contracts professor visiting from New York mispronounced Bexar County as "Beck-sar" County. The entire class of UT Law 1Ls immediately stated its proper pronunciation in unison:

#120920 - 12/02/19 01:37 PM Re: Sponsored Content Makes Me Sad [Re: CanisMachina42]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

So you are triggered by clickbait?

Here I was thinking SamOwens was being a crybaby.

Grow some balls.

If it bothers you so much, log-out and stop complaining.

Besides, you're on a sporting channel.
Did you really expect Einstein-level of genius content?

Edited by Dimitri (12/02/19 01:37 PM)

#120933 - 12/03/19 10:58 PM Re: Sponsored Content Makes Me Sad [Re: Dimitri]
CanisMachina42 Offline

Quote:
A contracts professor visiting from New York mispronounced Bexar County as "Beck-sar" County. The entire class of UT Law 1Ls immediately stated its proper pronunciation in unison:

And that is on par with pronouncing Jalepeno correctly. I would love to here one of them Yankee lifers pronounce "Oaxaca, Mexico".

"Oh-aks-uh-kuh"?

But then again, I have yet to meet whitebread that can pronounce "Manicotti" like a Paisan.

Hint: Not like RANch dressing.

But that may be a dialect thing...

#120934 - 12/04/19 06:44 AM Re: Sponsored Content Makes Me Sad [Re: Dimitri]
samowens84 Online

Some "plans" can't be changed. Part of what I do is recognize the current the universe is going and staying on track.

If you imagine that it's just "my plan".then you'd be setting yourself up against the current of the universe.

In that respect, it is metaphysical, and only selfishness and fear is what might keep you from opening your third eye.

If you're signaling the universe that you don't feel you deserve to be tested in the way the universe might feel you do, then the universe will decide that you don't deserve the progress you've gained.

If you're scared, then you can hop out of your car and start over, and over, and over.

Like an eternal prisoner of the Phoenix. That's your other option.

I passed that one. From my perspective that's the test you'll have to perservere through.

Someone who had a nobleman's mentality would assume their task with dignity and stoically be grateful for the opportunity to serve their family and women honorably.

A nobleman would respect and honor those who fought by their side, not look for a "clever" way to betray them out of cowardice.

That's the behavior of someone still infected with slave mentality.

To act like a slave would be to eventually become one.

Righteousness is the only means out of bad karma.

Nothing else.

When a person told me that you were too fragile to receive advice, it reveals that you're not too fragile to receive advice, and you were pretentiously messing with fake karma.

I figure you know this, but we both know this.

The only question you can answer for yourself is why you let your own ignorance make you into a coward?

I say ignorance because when you know certain facts youd be at peace with only one way forward. Anxiety and avoidance is a self inflicted wound with the delusion that your personal burden of righteousness might be avoided with enough "cleverness."

Edited by samowens84 (12/04/19 07:35 AM)

#121211 - 01/09/20 01:33 AM Re: Sponsored Content Makes Me Sad [Re: samowens84]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

The universe doesn't care.
Neither do I.

That's a good enough commonality to understanding.

Go fuck yourself.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.045 seconds of which 0.026 seconds were spent on 22 queries. Zlib compression disabled.