Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#12194 - 10/04/08 02:54 AM Satanic ritual and different Satanic sects.
Aleph Offline
stranger

Loc: Pennsylvania
I’m a bit confounded when it comes to the topic of Satanic rites. I always thought of the modern Satanic Church to be atheists who fulfill their desires, one of them being mysticism, but not in a spiritual way. (I only have a basic understanding, so please correct me if I am wrong)

However, from reading and being involved in some of the forums, I get the feeling there are different sects of Satanism. I realize not everyone on this site is a Satanist and I might be confusing other religions or beliefs as Satanic, but other than the modern Lavey Church of Satan are there other sects to this church?

As an occultist, I see ritual and rites as a way of connection towards whatever I am trying to achieve. But I am very curious as to what the Satanic rites/rituals do for yourselves
(on a personal level) as modern Satanists.

#12206 - 10/04/08 08:00 PM Re: Satanic ritual and different Satanic sects. [Re: Aleph]
Fabiano Offline

Quote:
I’m a bit confounded when it comes to the topic of Satanic rites. I always thought of the modern Satanic Church to be atheists who fulfill their desires, one of them being mysticism, but not in a spiritual way. (I only have a basic understanding, so please correct me if I am wrong)

Yes. I roughly share your point of view Aleph. I'm personaly not Atheist but agnostic. About God, I know that I don't know and there is no mean to know.

Quote:
However, from reading and being involved in some of the forums, I get the feeling there are different sects of Satanism. I realize not everyone on this site is a Satanist and I might be confusing other religions or beliefs as Satanic, but other than the modern Lavey Church of Satan are there other sects to this church?

First, I think we should agree on some definition. What do you mean by sect? Personaly, sect meaning is quite negative. Also, are "Satanic" & "Satanist" synonyms according to you?

For trying to answer your question: There are indeed different forms of Satanism. Main division being Theistic and non Theistic. Satanism does not equal LHP. For instance, ToS are clearly on the LHP but do not define themselves as Satanists.
Regarding "sects", I don't exactly see what you're looking for. But you should normally find it on wiki...

Finally, regarding the rituals and rites, I'm just discovering.
I didn't tryied any of those described in TSB or "The Rituals".
So, I can't realy answer you. I'm curious like you to hear about other's experiences...

#12234 - 10/05/08 02:39 PM Re: Satanic ritual and different Satanic sects. [Re: Fabiano]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
One can usually define "Satanism" as encompassing a wide variety of different systems of belief akin to Christian sects (Catholicism, Anglicanism, Baptism, etc)

Although there are some groups (like some christian churches) such as the CoS that claim they are the only "true" path and all that similar nonsense.

I guess the biggest division would be between symbolic/atheistic and theistic satanists. After that you can probably narrow it down to fifty million little upstart groups.... most practicing organizations are usually small grottoes of only a few people.

But yeah, an old joke states "two jews, three opinions"... well when it comes to this kind of stuff there's a LOT more.

#12255 - 10/05/08 11:51 PM Re: Satanic ritual and different Satanic sects. [Re: The Zebu]
Aleph Offline
stranger

Loc: Pennsylvania
When I said sect., I meant nothing negative. I guess I should have said different "kinds" of Satanists, as compared to the Christian faith. (Catholic, Prostant, Brethern, Methodist, Luthern, etc.) Also, I'm not sure about what you mean when you wrote "Also, are "Satanic" & "Satanist" synonyms according to you?" I meant one as a noun and the other as an adjective. I am not sure if that answers your question though.

What are both of you referring to when you mention "TSB" and "CoS"?

#12260 - 10/06/08 08:27 AM Re: Satanic ritual and different Satanic sects. [Re: Aleph]
Fabiano Offline

Thank Aleph,

I believed both could be adjective, think it's clear now.

Regarding acronyms :

TSB : The Satanic Bible
CoS : Church of Satan
FSC : First Satanic Church
ToS : Temple of Set
LHP/RHP : Left/Right Hand Path

#12307 - 10/07/08 05:56 AM Re: Satanic ritual and different Satanic sects. [Re: Aleph]
William Offline
stranger

Loc: North Carolina, USA
All you need to do is go to the Church of Satan website. Read over all the posts in the "Theory and Practice" section. You will gain a better understanding.

Further more Satanism is not divided into different types. The philosophy set down and codified by the late Docktor LaVey, is the only real Satanism, anything else is nonsense.

Read the Satanic Bible!

#12310 - 10/07/08 10:36 AM Re: Satanic ritual and different Satanic sects. [Re: William]
prhill Offline
banned
stranger

Loc: Chicago, Illinois
I agree with you William
#12562 - 10/12/08 05:01 PM Re: Satanic ritual and different Satanic sects. [Re: William]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
The current CoS is not Anton's CoS.

Satanism is about evolving oneself. Not limiting oneself.

You have to read more, learn more and go beyond the Satanic Bible. If you dont, then you are no better than the Xitan's.

They think their bible is all they need too.

Morgan

#12563 - 10/12/08 05:09 PM Re: Satanic ritual and different Satanic sects. [Re: Morgan]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
There are no 'types' of Satanists. On one hand you have Satanists, on the other, pretenders, devil worshipers, and general wannabes that will never 'get it'. The term 'theistic satanist' is the most ridiculous oxymoron ever.

#12564 - 10/12/08 05:26 PM Re: Satanic ritual and different Satanic sects. [Re: Dan_Dread]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
"There are no 'types' of Satanists. On one hand you have Satanists, on the other, pretenders, devil worshipers, and general wannabes that will never 'get it'. The term 'theistic satanist' is the most ridiculous oxymoron ever."

Like it or not, there are different types/sects or whatever of Satanism. Yes, lots of various people don't get it, or have no clue, but they aren't going anywhere.

The only Satanist I find to be truely useless is one who doesn't try to better himself and uses excuses for his own incompetence.

Idiots come in all kinds, and black sheep are still BLACK SHEEP. I just find Satanic Bible quoting jerks to be as bad as Xitan bible quoting jerks.

If its in you, its in you. If you have to question it, its not.

Morgan

#12565 - 10/12/08 05:26 PM Re: Satanic ritual and different Satanic sects. [Re: Dan_Dread]
blsk Offline

Loc: salem or
Thank you dan! I don't know how many times I have tried to explain to soo many people that I am a satanist NOT a devil worshipper! As a satanist I say don't tell me, show me. So how can I turn around and be so confident in a devil? Some people just CANNOT get it through their head.

#12567 - 10/12/08 05:40 PM Re: Satanic ritual and different Satanic sects. [Re: blsk]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Quote:

Like it or not, there are different types/sects or whatever of Satanism

I'd agree Satanists form different groups, but Satanists are Satanists, and devil worshipers are christians. They are not two types of the same thing.

#12568 - 10/12/08 05:42 PM Re: Satanic ritual and different Satanic sects. [Re: blsk]
BloodHorn Offline

Loc: Stockbridge Ga
Blsk, There is a simple saying everyone knows, *People fear what they don't understand* I'm sure you have heard this before, But i just thought i would throw it out there.
Don't worry to much about those people. They don't want to understand anything other then what MTV,the Christian bible, or whatever bible they believe in and whatever there favorite magazine tells them. Trying to explain things to them is only a waste of your energy. Save it for someone that will listen and try to understand.
I know what you mean though i have tryed explaining it to people but they only want to hear what they want to hear, And not what is actually being said.

#12569 - 10/12/08 05:53 PM Re: Satanic ritual and different Satanic sects. [Re: blsk]
coelentrate Offline

Loc: Dundee, Scotland
"sects of Satanism" is a subjective term. It all depends how you choose to slice it, right? The number of types of any religion, depending on who you ask, range from zero to infinity. I say for anything you want to devote a significant part of yourself to, you should read a lot about it, and then do what resonates with you. Maybe that'll even be something unique.

Another way to answer this question is yes, there are different groups of people who give themselves distinct labels and call themselves satanic. Which of them really are satanic is debatable. My suggestion is the same: I say for anything you want to devote a significant part of yourself to, you should read a lot about it, and then do what resonates with you. Maybe it'll even be something unique. Maybe your choice will make people of this board or another hate you, but that's life.

I personally don't believe that there is a human-like devilman out there. I avoid places where a lot of people go for that idea.

#12570 - 10/12/08 06:08 PM Re: Satanic ritual and different Satanic sects. [Re: coelentrate]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

It is true that every religion has its flavours.

HOWEVER. It bears noting that each of these still holds core tenets that define it as what it is.

For instance, there are no types of Christianity that don't believe jesus died and was resurrected. There are no sects of Islam that believe Mohammad was not a prophet of allah.

Rob these core tenets from these religions and what you are left with is something else entirely.

And so it is with Satanism. Take away such elements as self-deification, carnal monism, or add things such as spiritual mysticism or external deity worship, and what you are left with can no longer be classified as Satanism.

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, TV is God, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.029 seconds of which 0.003 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.