Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#12537 - 10/11/08 10:57 PM Re: A thought on home made symbols [Re: DistroyA]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Well when I say personal, I mean personally powerful.

If a plastic mass produced skull from walmart draws more of an internally powerful response than say, an authentic hand crafted iron Pentagram that you spent 10 years labouring over (although this is a pretty far fetched example), the prior still holds more power.

YOU give the symbol any power it might have, not vice versa.

#12538 - 10/11/08 11:03 PM Re: A thought on home made symbols [Re: Dan_Dread]
DistroyA Offline

Loc: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, UK
That's very true. Putting love into something, be it love from buying it or from making it yourself, makes it all the more personal to one's self, and therefore, all the more powerful.

We're basically saying the same thing over and over. Heheh. Sorry if I worded my statement wrong at all; when I say something is personal, I mean it would be more powerful if it's personal. Of course, making a ritual symbol yourself does not mean it will be more powerful for you, as it may not appeal to your tastes if it looks wrong.

In all honesty, I'm theorising here, as I've never performed a proper ritual in my life, although I intend to at some point once I have the necessary tools to do so.

#12539 - 10/11/08 11:10 PM Re: A thought on home made symbols [Re: DistroyA]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Quote:

In all honesty, I'm theorising here, as I've never performed a proper ritual in my life, although I intend to at some point once I have the necessary tools to do so.

I've done hundreds over the last couple of decades I have called myself Satanist. I can't tell you what works, just what works for me. It's all about how frothed up you can get yourself in the ritual chamber.

#12542 - 10/11/08 11:51 PM Re: A thought on home made symbols [Re: Dan_Dread]
BloodHorn Offline

Loc: Stockbridge Ga
Damn. Another good point. Thank you Dan, i didn't think of it like that. That just changes everything i was thinking of doing. I'm not sure what to say at this time. Thanks again Dan.
I do have to say one other thing. The night before, I started writing a song and it turned into me writing a ritual that I felt was more my style. I followed the basics of what Mr. Lavey stated in the SB, But I changed some words around, Added some things I felt would suit me more. And my question to everyone is, Is that OK, Or do I need to just follow the SB straight up. I worked on it for 11 straight hrs and it just felt like what i was doing was right. But sense I am not that experienced in Satanism I dunno if I'm just pushing it cause I'm excited about wanting to do ritual, Or if its truly natural. Any opinion will be most appreciated.

#12544 - 10/12/08 12:10 AM Re: A thought on home made symbols [Re: BloodHorn]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: BloodHorn
Damn. Another good point. Thank you Dan, i didn't think of it like that. That just changes everything i was thinking of doing. I'm not sure what to say at this time. Thanks again Dan.
I do have to say one other thing. The night before, I started writing a song and it turned into me writing a ritual that I felt was more my style. I followed the basics of what Mr. Lavey stated in the SB, But I changed some words around, Added some things I felt would suit me more. And my question to everyone is, Is that OK, Or do I need to just follow the SB straight up. I worked on it for 11 straight hrs and it just felt like what i was doing was right. But sense I am not that experienced in Satanism I dunno if I'm just pushing it cause I'm excited about wanting to do ritual, Or if its truly natural. Any opinion will be most appreciated.

No man, the best ritual is what YOU find to be the most stimulating. The only matter of importance is getting yourself worked up enough for the critical moment in one of the 3 ways, for lust compassion or destruction respectively. The steps in TSB are just a loose guideline, more of an example.

#12546 - 10/12/08 12:21 AM Re: A thought on home made symbols [Re: Dan_Dread]
BloodHorn Offline

Loc: Stockbridge Ga
Once again, Thank you Dan. I am hoping to do this ritual next week sometime, If the money coming my way is as much as I think it. Then I can buy the rest of what I need.

Edited by BloodHorn (10/12/08 12:23 AM)

#12579 - 10/12/08 11:38 PM Re: A thought on home made symbols [Re: BloodHorn]
Herne The Hunter Offline
stranger

Loc: New Zealand
I made my own Sigil of Baphomet, as living in NZ Satanic symbols and tools are not easily come by, and buying off the internet can prove expensive and in some cases disappointing. I find that by making them myself they become the more personal and empowered, just the way I like them. There's something rather satisfying in making your tools and symbols of magick rather than buying them. But then that's just my opinion.

#14135 - 11/10/08 01:34 AM Re: A thought on home made symbols [Re: Herne The Hunter]
Jake999 Offline

In the early days of the Church of Satan, many people made their own Baphomet Altar Plaques. You couldn't go out and just buy them, even at some of the better "occult shops" of the period. I have in my collection one of the original Baphomet medallions from that time. It's crude by today's standards, but it was made by hand by a Satanist who later became a Priest. Back then, each was unique. No two were alike, and you had to put thought into making them... or anything else on your altar or for wearing during a ritual.

Even today, some of the more crafty members of The Church of Satan are building their own altars and decorating them with their own versions of the Sigil of Baphomet, and some of them can be quite striking. I would personally prefer one that I have made for myself, using materials that would mean something to ME and compliment the decor of my chamber.

Of course, if you can get one commercially, there's nothing wrong with that either. I've even seen some quite good ones on EBAY from time to time.

#14580 - 11/17/08 08:17 AM Re: A thought on home made symbols [Re: Jake999]
Jake999 Offline

I'd also add that symbology in ritual, or personal aesthetic, can range from the simple to the elaborate, depending on the individual and their skill. I had someone send me a "hand made wand," once that was a simple oaken twig that he had cut from a specific oak for a specific reason at a specific time... thought went into it, and while it was just an oaken twig, it had meaning.

I've created things as well, sometimes for aesthetics and sometimes for utility and convenience. At a time when I was younger and practicing the rituals of the Church and those of my own group, I found there was a need to find something to cover the opening of the chalice when not in use. I suppose it could be just a piece of cardboard with a Baphomet stamp or some other utilitarian object, but I've always been somewhat of an artist, so I came up with the one below. I've never displayed it anywhere else before...

#14583 - 11/17/08 11:20 AM Re: A thought on home made symbols [Re: Jake999]
Bacchae Offline
Satan's White Trash Neighbor

Loc: los angeles
thats really very nice, and thanks for sharing it with us.

in the real world it might be different, but here in internet land where its easy to talk the talk, we sometimes neglect the aesthetics.

note to all:
more of this.. less drippy blood and batskulls on your websites \:D

#14585 - 11/17/08 12:36 PM Re: A thought on home made symbols [Re: Bacchae]
Jake999 Offline

Thanks you Bacchae.

I think that a lot of people feel that there has to be a heavy gothic and horror aspect to the whole persona of Satanism, probably because that's all that's been presented in the mainstream media and the whole "satanic rock" look. And while one's personal space should reflect their personality, it seems the "red fang and claw" theme tends to dominate in the minds of many.

It might surprise people to know that in the Black House, there was very little that one could equate to the type of things we see being played up as "satanic decor." Dr. LaVey liked a comfortable house to relax in, do business and entertain, and while there were the famous artifacts, like the tombstone coffee table, the macabre paintings by LaVey, the Satanic themed wall murals in the "kitchen," and of course the famouse black and red ritual chamber, it was hardly "hard core," as we would think of it by today's visual examples.

Blood and gore is a shock value... it works maybe once on the individual who sees it, and then the mind tends quickly to dismiss it; and if used to much, it tends to take on a Halloween decoration feel. Much more effective is the slightly innocuous item that catches the eye in a darkened chamber, or an item whose purpose may not be known, but its ominous presence invites speculation. The idea is in leading the mind, to stir thought and flights of fantasy within the world of reality; bringing thoughts of "what if", rather than "what is." If the aesthetics are too graphic, it often times is like that dig in the rib as the person telling the joke says, "You get it?"

#14607 - 11/17/08 07:43 PM Re: A thought on home made symbols [Re: Jake999]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
Very awesome design for that nice-looking... um... cup lid!

I find the whole bats 'n' blood style to be a bit too kitschy for me, but then again that's my own personal taste.

Personally I find a dark take on romantic-gothic, ancient roman, and byzantine visual styles to be an effective mix of aesthetics for me. Something with a more classical and "refined" feel to it, anyway.

But I agree with you that strong visuals should be used sparingly. If they're overused they become boring and ineffective.

Edited by The Zebu (11/17/08 07:45 PM)

#14609 - 11/17/08 07:47 PM Re: A thought on home made symbols [Re: The Zebu]
Jake999 Offline

Originally Posted By: The Zebu
Very awesome design for that nice-looking... um... cup lid!

I'm pretty sure the technical name would be "platten," but I won't bet the farm if it's a double jeopardy question.

#16409 - 12/17/08 07:56 PM Re: A thought on home made symbols [Re: BloodHorn]
RAMONE Offline
lurker

Loc: Winipeg, Manitoba, Canada
 Originally Posted By: BloodHorn

Does anyone know how to home make candles? And would it be cheaper? Black candles are hard to find around here, And when you do find them it is the outer part that is black, The inside is white.

Making your own black candles isnít worth it. At least if your doing it because of money issues, I looked into it and from what I can tell its messy and somewhat expensive. Eventually Iíll do it just because I like the idea of making my own stuff but Iím strapped for cash right now so I just bought some black candles from the local wika shop. I made my own Baphomet on a large piece of black paper. First I used a lamp shade to make a perfect circle used a ruler to carefully pencil in each line to form the inverted Pentagram, then came the details of the goat (a little off because Iím terrible at drawing) and some white acrylic paint and a little bit of black for some touch ups and I had something to be proud of.
I like your idea of using wood and bone. As soon as spring comes Iíll get started on my own!

#28972 - 08/28/09 12:23 AM Re: A thought on home made symbols [Re: RAMONE]
godam666 Offline
stranger

Loc: indiana
Making candles is actually cheap you have to look for the stuff worth buying though. The additives are woth it makes the wax burn alot slower. Also if you look at how much it costs for such and suck amount of wax in X candles it's much cheaper. Fourty dollars would buy you enough to last you long enough to burn a candle every day for a year and a half (prices based on the last time I made any candles, which is about 4 years ago).

Page 3 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, TV is God, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.