Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#12473 - 10/10/08 08:57 PM Dark New age/Neoclassical music
Samuel Hain Offline
pledge

Loc: arkansas
You might want to give the band NOX ARCANA a listen to. Its not heavy metal and they have themes to their various Cd's, all of which revolve around horror and the occult.

http://www.noxarcana.com

#17483 - 01/01/09 11:11 PM Re: Dark New age/Neoclassical music [Re: Samuel Hain]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
http://www.lustmord.com/

LUSTMORD - Many people on here have probably already heard of him, but Lustmord is the epitome of "dark ambient". While white-light New Age artists like Yanni write long saccharine dreamscapes of sappy "uplifting" chord harmonies, Lustmord paints a vast bleak abyss of sonic despair with lucifugic drones and pitch-black atmospheres. If you're looking for ritual music to make blood-offerings out of children to, or summon Yog Sothoth to impregnate a virgin sacrifice, look no further.

-----

http://www.midnightsyndicate.com/

Midnight Syndicate - A project from which Nox Arcana was a split-off. Eerie atmospheres, dark gothic melodies, and a very "Halloween" feel. Not as thematically diverse, but the sound quality production is definitely head and shoulders above Nox Arcana.

Edited by The Zebu (01/01/09 11:13 PM)

#22316 - 03/21/09 12:23 AM Re: Dark New age/Neoclassical music [Re: Samuel Hain]
Draculesti Offline
Impaler

Loc: Rockville, Maryland
Perhaps I can breathe some new life into this thread:

The term "neoclassical" has, in recent years and among the popular masses, come to mean music created using a shitty K-mart Casio synthesizer.

The term neoclassicism truly refers to a movement in art music of the early/mid 20th century (post WWI) in which composers, eager to move away from the overly emotional aspect of late Romanticism (Wagner, Mahler, etc.), hearken back to the music of Baroque (ironic considering the term neoclassical) and Classical period composers, i.e. J.S. Bach, G.F. Handel, Domenico Scarlatti (on the Baroque side) and Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven (on the Classical side), especially the genres (the dance suite, passacaglia, concerto grosso of Baroque music, and the sonata and symphony of Classical, to name a few) and the forms (binary, ternary, sonata-structure, etc.), most of which were either distorted beyond recognition or left behind altogether in Romantic music (not necessarily a bad thing).

Most representative of this movement is the music of Igor Stravinsky (of the period of about 1920-1951) which includes such examples as Symphony in C, Symphony in Three Movements and the Piano Sonata , all of which are classical genres with classical formal structures. Also, Arnold Schoenberg, who was at this same time developing serialism (twelve-tone rows, which may or may not be atonal), also used Baroque dance forms (sarabande, gigue, etc.) in his Piano Suite, Op. 25 , even while using his new language.

What does classical formal structure entail? Classical composers, much like the architects and artists of the period, were concerned with symmetry and balance. For instance, in a typical classical period musical structure, a phrase of music is comprised of four measures, and a period is comprised of two phrases, the first of which is the antecedent , and the second, the consequent . Both phrases in the periodic structure would consist of, typically, four measures; this is not always the case as they may consist of more or less than four measures each. However, you can bet that whatever the number, each phrase will have the same. Therefore, the periodic structure is said to be symmetrical.

Similarly, when looking at the melodic contour (the shape of the line of the melody) in classical period writing, one finds that there is symmetry and balance here as well. Disjunct melodies are uncommon (though not unheard of) in this type of music.

I coul go on, but I won't. This has been a lesson from your Satanic music professor.

Homo Homini Lupus

#22857 - 04/03/09 03:05 PM Re: Dark New age/Neoclassical music [Re: The Zebu]
BaronVonShankly Offline

Loc: London
 Originally Posted By: The Zebu
http://www.lustmord.com/

LUSTMORD - Many people on here have probably already heard of him, but Lustmord is the epitome of "dark ambient". While white-light New Age artists like Yanni write long saccharine dreamscapes of sappy "uplifting" chord harmonies, Lustmord paints a vast bleak abyss of sonic despair with lucifugic drones and pitch-black atmospheres. If you're looking for ritual music to make blood-offerings out of children to, or summon Yog Sothoth to impregnate a virgin sacrifice, look no further.

-----

http://www.midnightsyndicate.com/

Midnight Syndicate - A project from which Nox Arcana was a split-off. Eerie atmospheres, dark gothic melodies, and a very "Halloween" feel. Not as thematically diverse, but the sound quality production is definitely head and shoulders above

Nox Arcana.

Lustmord is a bit of a local legend where i grew up as hes from there. Aparently he used to walk around the town gothed up.

id also recomend final the project of justin k broadrick (godflesh, jesu etc)

http://www.myspace.com/finaloffical

Edited by BaronVonShankly (04/03/09 03:08 PM)

#70039 - 08/10/12 11:55 AM Re: Dark New age/Neoclassical music [Re: BaronVonShankly]
Bette Doom Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
To this list I'll add Abandoned Toys, Elend, and Therion. The last I hesitate to include as 'Neoclassical' simply because I find their instrumentals a little repetitive and frankly they remind me more of gospel for Vikings. In fact they give the distinct impression of trying to create straight-up 'liturgical' music laced with blood, thunder, and horns. I shouldn't begrudge them, the Neoclassical label, though. Fuckers bring the whole orchestra.

#70050 - 08/10/12 08:29 PM Re: Dark New age/Neoclassical music [Re: Samuel Hain]
Deep Time Offline
pledge

Yesterday, for the first time, I was listening to a band formed here in Melbourne called Dead Can Dance. Beautiful stuff.

Towards The Within- Dead Can Dance

The band Gregorian do some interesting stuff.

Ave Satani- Gregorian

Edited by Deep Time (08/10/12 08:35 PM)

"All the witches had to show their respect for Satan by kissing his ass."

#72859 - 11/13/12 02:01 PM Re: Dark New age/Neoclassical music [Re: Deep Time]
scarecro Offline
lurker

Loc: Kentucky
Dark Ages is a good band. that i am aware of they have 2 releases, Chronicle of the plague and Twilight of europe.

In Slaughter Natives is extremely good.
i recomend Enter Now The World and Sacrosancts Bleed, both albums are worth spending the cash.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.021 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 20 queries. Zlib compression disabled.