Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#13063 - 10/21/08 06:46 AM Creationist nonsense
blsk Offline

Loc: salem or
I have not yet finished the whole article myself but thought, as this is a hot topic in schools, it may be beneficial (or at least a concern)to some of you.Creationist nonsense

I personally am not an evolutionist. What are your views on the matter?

Edited by blsk (10/21/08 07:34 AM)

#13065 - 10/21/08 07:01 AM Re: Creationist nonsense [Re: blsk]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

I don't really know what you wanna know upon the subject but in short, creationism is the theory that all life on earth, earth itself and everything around is created by god.

The big problem for everyone believing in god is that science at one point came up with evolution and selection.
Man comes from a monkey, imagine that, and on top of it all, they could provide a solid theory with evidence supporting it.

Now, that was not too good for all those believers, so an opposition grew and still grows to claim that was all nonsense and yes, god did really really create everything.
That is what creationism is about; provide contra-arguments for everything that might indicate god could not have done it and it could have happened on itself.

The big problem with it is, and I assume it is rather limited to the USA, that they want to teach it in the schools as an equally valid theory as the scientific one. It's more nonsense to indoctrinate kids at an early age and keep them safely under the wings of god.

I could go deeper into it, but I could never explain it as good as some communities out there, so if you want details and loads of info about the ongoing war, surf a bit around, you can't miss it.

D.

#13066 - 10/21/08 07:07 AM Re: Creationist nonsense [Re: Diavolo]
blsk Offline

Right. I wasn't asking but pointing out an article on the matter. Please p.m. me if it's not working. The article covers it quite well.

#13069 - 10/21/08 07:12 AM Re: Creationist nonsense [Re: blsk]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

Ah ok, didn't know what to make of your first post, so I decided to give a short view upon it, wondering if that might be what you requested.

Now you've edited it, it's more obvious.

The link works, no problem there.

D.

#13071 - 10/21/08 07:14 AM Re: Creationist nonsense [Re: Diavolo]
blsk Offline

OH, ok good.

#13080 - 10/21/08 11:09 AM Re: Creationist nonsense [Re: blsk]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

I remember when I was in highschool quite a few kids made a fuss when it came to discussing evolution in class. I actually thought it was funny. A few actually thought just by hearing it they could go to hell. I'm glad to be out of there but sometimes, sometimes I wish I was there all over again.

#13099 - 10/21/08 01:20 PM Re: Creationist nonsense [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
Haha, well I doubt you'll find any creationists here.

The article touches on a few things that particularly annoy me about creationists, aside from the outright idiocy of believing in a literal interpretation of Genesis-

1. Their delusion that there is a huge controversy among scientists, and that evolution is "heavily under fire" from new evidence as more and more researchers are supporting creationism. This is an outright lie. The only people who support creationism are a handful of fundamentalist nutjobs, and every so often some Chrisitan professor with a PHD joins their ranks when their diehard belief in absurd fairy-tales got in the way of reality-based factual research. (And then they bitch and whine about being "persecuted".) The controversy is incredibly minor, and the vast majority of scientists support evolution.

2. They keep on chanting "Evolution is only a theory!" like it actually means something. So what? Most everything else we teach in science class is also a theory. That still doesn't change the fact that it has OVERWHELMING SCIENTIFIC SUPPORT.

3. It is a purely Abrahamic religious phenomenon. Find me an Atheist scientist who thinks that the earth is only a few thousand years old and was made in seven days. Yeah, that's what I thought.

4. Their ideas about the age of the earth alone is enough to completely contradict all we have observed geology, anthropology, genetics, and astronomy. So if you're going to overthrow all of modern science, you're going to need some goddamn good evidence.... so where is it?

5. Intelligent design strips it all down to "Evidence suggests that maybe something like a God might have created the universe", but even so, it takes everything else for granted. This is purely a matter of faith. But this god cannot be perfect, as the universe is flawed.

In summary, I believe that God created the universe, but I propose God is an amorphous tentacled horror enthroned in the nucleus of ultimate chaos, the transcendent embodiment of creation and destruction, blasphemously writhing to the piping of thin reeds and the beating of vile drums. Hail Azathoth! Iä! Iä!

#13100 - 10/21/08 01:21 PM Re: Creationist nonsense [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
 Quote:

I personally am not an evolutionist.

I translate this as 'you don't like science and cant be bothered to learn'

That evolution happens is not under debate by anyone aside from creationist hicks.

By the way 'evolutionist' is a creationist buzzword. Every time you use it you are playing into their propaganda.

#13134 - 10/21/08 06:54 PM Re: Creationist nonsense [Re: blsk]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
 Originally Posted By: blsk

I personally am not an evolutionist. What are your views on the matter?

You are not an evolutionist? What exactly does this mean, since you don't quite sound like a creationist either.

Meaning, do you not believe in macroevolution (reptiles evolving into birds, etc) or do you rather support intelligent design (ie, that life arose through divine means)? It really wouldn't make sense to support the first, and the label of the second is so riddled with connections to Creationism I would use some other term if I were you....

So either you are misusing the term or you are a complete moron.
: D

#13153 - 10/21/08 08:39 PM Re: Creationist nonsense [Re: The Zebu]
blsk Offline

I must be misinformed on the use of the word. Evolution as I understand it, and this may be where the confusion lies, is chance. Yet what is placed before us is adaptation. Again, I havn't finished the article myself and it may clarify. The creationist view is total crap, but if I understand evolution correctly i'm not quite jumping on that wagon either.

#13192 - 10/22/08 07:55 AM Re: Creationist nonsense [Re: blsk]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

Evolution isn't adaptation, that would imply that a lifeform has somewhat of a choice or control of what direction to take. A polar bear never looked up and said; think it's gonna get chilly, let's grow some more fur and while we are at it, go buy some bleach.

Evolution is blind and while the concept of survival of the fittest is interpreted by many as the survival of the one being able to adapt best, I think survival of the luckiest is a bit more correct.

Mutations happen all the time and if a lifeform is lucky enough to have some sort of mutation that gives it an edge in survival and following reproduction (continuing those mutated genes), it will more likely continue to exist. If you're a giraffe and because of some mutation, your neck is an inch short than the others, you are lickely to be out-reproduced when conditions are not at your advantage.

D.

#13196 - 10/22/08 08:07 AM Re: Creationist nonsense [Re: Diavolo]
lux Offline
Banned
pledge

Loc: Newcastle UK
"I personally am not an evolutionist. What are your views on the matter?"

I am an eveoloutionary creationist.

"God made adam from the dust of the Earth"

I.e God Made adam in a natural way according to his divine will

Think about it..."from the dust of the earth"... is not the bible giving us a "primitive" evoloution theory?

Because we understand better, doesnt mean we understand more.

#13197 - 10/22/08 08:11 AM Re: Creationist nonsense [Re: lux]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

I may rightfully assume that you can't provide me proof beyond 'he told me so' or 'it is written in da book'?

D.

#13198 - 10/22/08 08:15 AM Re: Creationist nonsense [Re: Diavolo]
lux Offline
Banned
pledge

Loc: Newcastle UK
you want proof for evoloution?

Then ask a scientist.

Or proof that

a primitive evoloution maybe described in the bible.

I have just proved it.

#13201 - 10/22/08 09:24 AM Re: Creationist nonsense [Re: lux]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

No, I want proof for the evolutionary creationist part.

God created adam from dust, djeez that indeed explains it all, I hardly feel the need for more proof now.

Genesis:

1:29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
1:30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.

So this explains perfectly why the world is filled with herbivores and carnivores are just a fantasy?

D.

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.029 seconds of which 0.005 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.