Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#13322 - 10/22/08 10:26 PM Spamming
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
This hasn't been much of an issue here since the site came back online last year. Now that we're acquiring new members on a daily basis, we're also seeing an unwelcome trend among the boards: Spamming.

When I come online at the end of the day and see 58 FUCKING POSTS under ONE sub-forum, that is spamming.

When out of those 58 posts, there are less than a half dozen of them that are actually worth reading, THAT is spamming.

Hijacking threads with petty squabbling amongst a handful of members is spamming, and will get those threads locked.

If you are posting to simply get your count up and achieve status, you might want to rethink your strategy. That kind of shit will get you banned in a heartbeat.

Admins and Moderators have had enough of it.

You know who you are.

#13350 - 10/23/08 06:27 PM Re: Spamming [Re: Nemesis]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
If possible maybe put a small lock down on newbies. Kinda limiting their posts to 10 per day for the first week or two?

I think this would cut down on the "stupid type spammers".

Morgan

#13369 - 10/23/08 11:08 PM Re: Spamming [Re: Morgan]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

What a great idea Morgan...

Most of the newbies involved were averaging 6-7 posts a day... Some with as little as 10 words a post... So 10 posts a day is still too much... I would take it a little stricter and limit them to 1 or 2 posts a day... The time frame of two weeks seems fair...

But are we simply trying to fix something that is really not broken?

~T~

"Just my 10 cents"

#13430 - 10/25/08 11:21 AM Re: Spamming [Re: ta2zz]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
One liners are going to get my panties in a bunch from now on. I don't care if you agree, disagree, or haven't experienced the topic of the post yet. If all you can offer as a reply is "Yeah I loved that". "I haven't seen that movie, but I want to". Take that to a PM. If you can't elaborate on a topic or post, don't bother. I like La Gloria Cubana cigars. That statement offers nothing by itself. Elaborate on it. Tell us why you like them. Compare them to the others that are available and what makes them unique to you. If you cared enough to share that with us, then something must have moved you. Certainly you can put that into words. I used cigars as an example only, since I do enjoy them and that brand is a particular favorite of mine.

What's with all the quoting? If you want to reply to a post, simply hit "reply". We can figure out that you are responding to that post. If you want to reply to specific points in the post, then quote them. Holy Christ, some of these threads are a mile long with quotes and one line replies.

Users will be banned and warned. Others will be rewarded. This will not turn into a myspace circle jerk, dumbed down website on my watch. I expect more, and that's why I have been with this site for all these years.

We can still have fun here and act a fool sometimes. Don't feel that everytime you click submit, it has to be the equal of the Magna Carta or Mein Kampf. There is a time and place for fun and mindlessness. There is also the feature of PM. A lot of what gets posted could be handled in a PM. If you agree Scarface is the best movie ever made, but that's all you have to offer, reply to the poster in a PM.

#13488 - 10/26/08 05:05 PM Considered your first and only warning! [Re: Nemesis]
Disabuse Offline

Just so everyone is clear, this rule has gone into motion. Any and all one liners will be deleted. And don't think making two or three lines is being cute either. If your post doesn't provide any insight, it is going to get deleted.

This is your warning. Anyone posting one liners and bullshit posts from now on will be banned for one week without warning. After your time out, if you continue to not provide insight, you will either get a longer ban or permanently removed.

You have been warned.

#13605 - 10/29/08 01:04 AM Re: Considered your first and only warning! [Re: Disabuse]
coelentrate Offline

Loc: Dundee, Scotland
Sometimes a post of just one line is appropriate, sometimes it's best. Why not take it on a case-by-case basis?
#13611 - 10/29/08 05:01 AM Re: Considered your first and only warning! [Re: coelentrate]
Bacchae Offline
Satan's White Trash Neighbor

Loc: los angeles
if one takes a case-by-case attitude it becomes a loose guideline for moderators, instead of a rule for posters. especially new ones.
one-liners are removed. the person posting it is not, unless it becomes a pattern.

trust me, this place has lightened up and relaxed quite a bit since the early days, but our attention to forum etiquette and merciless removal of riff raff, trolls, idiots, and children is one of the reasons why we are still around.

#13631 - 10/29/08 10:11 PM Re: Considered your first and only warning! [Re: Bacchae]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
Bacchae is a long time member. He knows that which he speaks of. He was even an Admin here at one time, until the brain dead became more than he could handle and to keep his sanity, he resigned. Trust me when he says we have lightened up. We used to drop the machette on hands with a quickness. When we said we have turned it up a notch here, we mean it.

A little incentive to the users here. There is an entire section you are not privy to. It is only accessible to those with color in their names. If you want to gain access to that section, you need to post well thought out, intelligent, properly composed posts. Making 200 posts in a short time will work in the negative. Unless they meet the criteria. If the best you can do is 20 quality posts and 180 one liners, in a two month time period, you won't make it. Think before you type. Prove you are elite, and you will find yourself with some color in your name, and a lot more respect.

#13636 - 10/29/08 11:41 PM Re: Considered your first and only warning! [Re: fakepropht]
Fabiano Offline

I plead guilty. I admit to have participate a little bit to mess seen here recently.

I'll read more & I'll post less!
After all, what will be my own benefit in "fighting" with others? The pleasure to have the last word? Thinking about Lux, it risks to be a never-ending story.

By the way I found some pearls in some of old topics created by colored users.

"Your Personal Manifesto" by Morgan
and "Books of the LHP" by Fists are good examples.

Better 3 days on a post than 3 posts in a day!

Edited by Fabiano (10/29/08 11:42 PM)

#13649 - 10/30/08 09:49 AM Re: Considered your first and only warning! [Re: Fabiano]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
One other thing for the neophyte to keep in mind. What we do here is the beginning not the end.

Not to pick on the CoS, but their forum and forums like it are trailing on the back end of what was. We here are on the leading edge of what will be.

The 600 Club is only a nexus point. A point of potential energy. What we will be remains to be determined. It is in 'our' nature to create our own reality. What 'we' need are productive individuals - not hangers on!

"Everyone a Shining Star"....

#23890 - 04/29/09 05:24 PM Re: Considered your first and only warning! [Re: Fist]
Rose Offline
stranger

Loc: No ones concern
Thank you Nemesis. I still consider myself new here even though I joined a few months ago. I haven't been on to see what you are talking about, but judging by how people can be I don't doubt what you say. I'll keep what you all said in mind...

#23894 - 04/29/09 07:54 PM Re: Considered your first and only warning! [Re: Rose]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
The spamming blowout happened several months ago, and Admins and Mods have been doing a good job of keeping an eye on threads that are either outright spam or bullshit, or have the potential to become a waste of everyone's time.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, TV is God, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.022 seconds of which 0.004 seconds were spent on 25 queries. Zlib compression disabled.