Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#13386 - 10/24/08 01:15 PM The Conditions of God- an Essay
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

This is an essay I wrote for my Existentialism class, Just looking for some feedback before I turn it in.

"God himself cannot exist without wise me."- Luther said this and was right. But "God can exist even less without unwise men." That good old Luther did not say.

When Luther made that statement he was undeoubtedly saying that God could not exist unless there are people who are "wise" enough to discover or realize the existence of God, and spread that knowledge to others. The way that Nietzeche uses this quote, however, alludes to the idea that the concept of God would not be as acceptable to people if the idea was brought up by an ill-educated person. Surely the notion of a creator responsible for all life on earth and who acts as some sort of cosmic, omnipresent parent, rewarding the good and punishing the wicked, would sound ridiculous and be written off as the ravings of a mad man were it to come from the village idiot. In a time where very few were literate or educated all; people were willing to believe anything told to them by and educated person. Possibly because they didn't have the means to prove them wrong. Why would they want to disprove them anyway? In believing in God they automatically believed in the Devil and were given a scapegoat to blame for all the horrible things the person is ultimately responsible for doing.

When Nietzsce says "God can exist even less without unwise men." He is saying the concept of God would die out if there were no one stupid enough to believe in it and continue to propagate this idea. That if more people really looked deeply into this issue and thought about it for themselves rather than blindly believing what they are told to be truth, they would reach a different conclusion and ultimately reject the idea of God. When something is believed to be absolutely tru for long enough it is considered a fact. Speaking in scientific terms anything that is true and is a fact can be proven to be so. The Earth is round, it is true it is a fact and it can be proven. This was not always believed to be true, there was a time when thinking the earth was round was considered blasphemy and heresy because it went against the general consensus of what the truth was. Eventually it was proven that the Earth is in fact round, and now to still believe the Earth is flat would be stupid and most unwise. Therefore to still believe in God without any proof or way to prove the existence of God is unwise.

Throughout his work, particualarly in The Antichrist, Nietzsche writes scathingly about Christianity, arguing it is fundamentally opposed to life. In Christian morality, Nietzsche sees an attempt to deny all those characteristics he associates with healthy life. The concept of sin makes us ashamed of our instincts and our sexuality, the concept of faith discourages our curiosity and natural skepticism, and the concept of pity encourages us to value and cherish weakness. Furthermore, Christian morality is based on the promise of an afterlife, leading Christians to devalue this life in favor of the beyond. Nietzsche argues that Christianity springs from resentment for life and those who enjoy it, and seeks to overthrow health and strength with its life-denying ethics. As such, Nietzsche considers Christianity to be the hated enemy of life. One who sides against his own life would definately considered to be most unwise.

#13389 - 10/24/08 01:37 PM Re: The Conditions of God- an Essay [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Quote:
The Earth is round, it is true it is a fact and it can be proven. This was not always believed to be true, there was a time when thinking the earth was round was considered blasphemy and heresy because it went against the general consensus of what the truth was.

At this I would like to add something.
I had a discussion about it some days ago. Some extremist christians* claimed the bible wrote the earth was round. I agreed with them, but I claimed the bible is still fault because the earth is "spherical". Somehow they couldn't distinguish the form "round" from "spherical". So if someone says to you that the bible already wrote the earth was round he is right. BUT round is not equal to speherical. A round form is linked to a circle, spherical form is linked to a ball. This on a quick side note.

Your essay is nice written,it reads fluently. However there are some things I'd pronounce otherwise or change.
*(yes, I know it is quite stupid to talk to such kind of people but when I'm bored I sometimes like it to play with dumb people's mind..)

#13391 - 10/24/08 01:42 PM Re: The Conditions of God- an Essay [Re: Dimitri]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
 Quote:

I had a discussion about it some days ago. Some extremist christians* claimed the bible wrote the earth was round. I agreed with them, but I claimed the bible is still fault because the earth is "spherical". Somehow they couldn't distinguish the form "round" from "spherical". So if someone says to you that the bible already wrote the earth was round he is right. BUT round is not equal to speherical. A round form is linked to a circle, spherical form is linked to a ball. This on a quick side note.

Indeed, if one were to use the bible as reference the earth would look rather like a snow globe.

#13393 - 10/24/08 02:00 PM Re: The Conditions of God- an Essay [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
 Quote:
God himself cannot exist without wise me

I think you meant to say "men", not "me".

Quote:
undeoubtedly

"undoubtedly"

Quote:
That good old Luther did not say

I'd put a comma after "That".

Which "Luther" are you referring to? You might want to give a full name, as well as a short sentence on how he relates to the topic (ie, ______ Luther is a History professor at Blah Blah University).

Quote:
ill-educated

I'd change that to "uneducated"--"ill-educated" sounds arrogant and might put off the reader.

Quote:
Nietzsche

When you make the first reference to Nietzsche in your second paragraph, be sure to include his first name. Any further mentioning of him, you can use his last name only.

Quote:
The way that Nietzsche uses this quote

When you give the quote "God can exist even less without unwise men", we don't find out that is was Nietzsche who said it until the beginning of the second paragraph. Might want to shift some things around to clarify this point for the reader in the beginning of the essay.

Quote:
In a time where very few were literate or educated__all; people were willing to believe anything told to them by and educated person

If this were my essay, I'd rephrase this as: "In a time when the majority of the populace was uneducated and illiterate, it was easy for them to unquestioningly follow the words and teachings of those privileged few who had been educated by the Church."

Quote:
In believing in God they automatically believed in the Devil and were given a scapegoat to blame for all the horrible things the person is ultimately responsible for doing.

This is a huge run-on sentence. Use some punctuation or break it up into two separate sentences!

Quote:
When Nietzsche says "God can exist even less without unwise men." He is saying the concept of God would die out if there were no one stupid enough to believe in it and continue to propagate this idea

Change the period after "men" to a comma, and decapitalize the "H" in "He". I'd reword "stupid" to "foolish".

Quote:
The Earth is round, it is true it is a fact and it can be proven.

Put a semicolon or double dash after "round", capitalize "It", put commas after "true" and "fact".

Quote:
The Antichrist

Titles of books or literary works in essays are either italicized or underlined.

You asked for feedback, lol.

#13394 - 10/24/08 02:05 PM Re: The Conditions of God- an Essay [Re: Nemesis]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Thanks for your help. Since we are currently discussing Nietzsche in class I don't need to clarify by saying Frederich as the teacher will know who I am refering to. Also, I couldn't figure out how to make The Antichrist itallicized on here. It is in itallics on the orignal though.

#13398 - 10/24/08 02:46 PM Re: The Conditions of God- an Essay [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
You're welcome. To italicize words in UBBCode, put an "i" between brackets [] at the beginning of your word or sentence, and put a "/i" in brackets at the end. If you're in the Full Reply screen, there are small icons above the text field--B, U and I. Click on those, and the code will appear in the field. Just insert your text between them.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.02 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 19 queries. Zlib compression disabled.