Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#13492 - 10/26/08 09:43 PM Military-Richard Marcinko
blsk Offline

Loc: salem or
For those with us who are veterans and active duty, I wanted to recommend Richard Marcinkos books. These are incredible accounts of his time forming Seal Team Six as well as others. For those who have not served, these are still testimony to what makes war perversely attractive to me. It is man at his absolute best and worst.

A little bit on Marcinko:
After enlisting in the United States Navy in 1958, Marcinko worked as a teletype operator at Naval Support Activity, Naples, Italy. He then got into a fight with another sailor and sent him to the hospital. According to his biography, his commanding officer sent him to UDT training as punishment. In '67 Marcinko led his men in an assault on Ilo-Ilo Island where they killed a large number of Vietcong personnel and destroyed six of their sampans. The Navy referred to it as "the most successful SEAL operation in the (Mekong River) Delta." Subsequently Marcinko was awarded the first of his four Bronze Stars, as well as a Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry.

Marcinko immediately returned to Vietnam after a few months stateside, again with SEAL Team 2 as the officer in command of Eighth Platoon. During the Tet Offensive his platoon was sent to assist the US Army Special Forces at Chau Doc. What began as an urban street battle turned into a rescue mission of American nurses trapped in the city's church and hospital.

Rogue Warrior, by Richard Marcinko, is an account of how he founded two United States Navy counter-terrorist units, SEAL Team SIX and Red Cell. Commanding Red Cell, he was directed to use them to test the Navy's anti-terrorist capabilities. During the tests, Red Cell was able to infiltrate supposedly impenetrable, highly secured bases, nuclear submarines, ships and other "secure areas", including the Presidential plane Air Force One. In doing so he claims to have embarrassed several superior officers, whom he accuses of involvement in his subsequent conviction for misappropriation of funds and resources under his command.

(Note-I had trouble finding a link allowing you to read it online. When I find one i'll post it, but it's worth the purchase.)

#13618 - 10/29/08 01:05 PM Re: Military-Richard Marcinko [Re: blsk]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
Personally, I would check out "Rogue Warrior." For the most part, very few of the security deficiencies identified by Red Cell were fixed. Some top tier operations do have vastly improved security, but the DoD en mass remains a very soft target.

The western world can be very thankful that we are at war with amateurs. If these turban clad moon worshiping sheep fuckers ever got serious we would be in big trouble.

#13619 - 10/29/08 02:42 PM Re: Military-Richard Marcinko [Re: Fist]
blsk Offline

Loc: salem or
Absolutely correct. They have money, yes. Had they the funds of a noteable threat they could be very dangerous. More so than they already are. The only thing that makes them dangerous is their willingness to die. Other than that they are stupid and waaaay to superstitious to advance.

#14899 - 11/26/08 01:30 PM Re: Military-Richard Marcinko [Re: blsk]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
I guess I should have read this post earlier, because I have read the books by Richard Marcinko, many years ago, and I was under the impression that it was all fiction. Great stuff.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.017 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 17 queries. Zlib compression disabled.