Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#13659 - 10/30/08 04:00 PM Voting
Disabuse Offline

Whether you believe it matters or not, I still thought this video was interesting. A lot of faces are in this video, although, I would never listen to a thing Tom Cruise has to say. ;\)

#13666 - 10/30/08 05:56 PM Re: Voting [Re: Disabuse]
blsk Offline

Loc: salem or
I couldn't help but notice the people that were stating their reasons for voting were doing so because they were concerned with ONE thing. I know it was a commercial, but I also notice this with people I speak with on the matter. Some I speak with are voting for Mccain because they love their guns, some because it's going to be the first black in office. Some vote against one side, lets say democrat, simply due to the fact they are republican. WTF! I'm serious, this is what I hear.

This, in my opinion, is the problem. People are settling for good enough. If you settle for less, you get less. Now I know that the reason they got this far in the first place is because enough people liked what they heard. What is wrong with demanding more from people running for such a powerful position? Why do people feel obligated to vote regardless of the options? Why cant people just decide "hey, you know what, these guys have some great views on a lot of matters, but neither are just quite going to cut it for this position."?

These aren't hypothetical questions, I really want to know.

Go Borat!

#13667 - 10/30/08 06:15 PM Re: Voting [Re: blsk]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Egads statist rhetoric. Celebrities think voting is important for such profound and important reasons as 'their daddies told them too' and 'every vote counts'. If celebrities say it it must be important, what they believe must be true..I mean..they are celebrities!

Every vote counts.Counts for what? It's like choosing which of jigsaws traps to strap yourself into.

Personally, I think if you vote you forfeit your right to complain about the system at all. Casting that ballot is expressing in a real, tangible way, your support for the system.

And even if for some weird reason someone would support the exploitative mechanism that is 'the state', it must be considered that there is vastly more human waste voting than there are intelligent human beings,which basically means in the mob rule system that is democracy the human waste rules. Not to mention it only takes one inbred redneck jesus lovin' gun totin' redneck ballot to completely nullify your vote.

On the other hand if enough people didn't vote, and disengaged from the stupidity all together..well that might make an actual difference.

#13680 - 10/31/08 01:25 AM Re: Voting [Re: Dan_Dread]
blsk Offline

Loc: salem or
(Every vote counts.Counts for what? It's like choosing which of jigsaws traps to strap yourself into.

Personally, I think if you vote you forfeit your right to complain about the system at all. Casting that ballot is expressing in a real, tangible way, your support for the system.)

Well that is my point exactly Dan. The people that do have what it takes to lead don't have the money. The people that do have the money don't have what it takes to lead. These people are brainless. It's always the ones with the brains that don't get recognition until they're dead, and the mindless idiots are the ones hailed(at least until they fuck everything up...then the public just thinks like us).

(On the other hand if enough people didn't vote, and disengaged from the stupidity all together..well that might make an actual difference.)

Again, thank you. It isn't necessarily the people running. I mean who doesn't want to be there, at least once? It's the people who insist on voting. As long as the general public are willing to vote for a complete jack off, a complete jack off is going to keep running. STANDARDS PEOPLE! RISE ABOVE! FUCK!

#13803 - 11/03/08 10:55 AM Re: Voting [Re: blsk]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
If you dont vote, I think you have no right to complain about what happens because You sat there and did nothing.

If you want to make a difference, start small and work your way up. Run for a local office, and then go from there. If you have anything fucked up in your background it will count against you. That is the only real reason why I can't run for office.

The only way to really change the system is to become part of it, and work change from the inside.

or lead a successful revolution.

I'm getting tired of armchair revolutionaries, its as bad as armchair magicians.

Morgan

#13814 - 11/03/08 06:35 PM Re: Voting [Re: Morgan]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

Originally Posted By: Morgan
If you dont vote, I think you have no right to complain about what happens because You sat there and did nothing. I'm getting tired of armchair revolutionaries, its as bad as armchair magicians.

I am tired of the attitude of those otherwise intelligent individuals that have been brainwashed into thinking that their vote matters more than it really does… I’m tired of the holier than thou attitude that they get with saying non-voters have no rights to complain etc etc… Reminds me of parents that think that because they decided to have kids they deserve more pay and respect at work than a person with no children… It’s pure shit…

Funny News 12 decided to file this article under news of the weird… Wonder why that is?

“Odds of single vote deciding election: 1 in 60M”

“The statisticians were trying to answer the question: "What is the probability your vote will make a difference?"
The answer is very low. You are far more likely to be hit twice by lightning.”

“Either way, "it's still a chance, it's like buying a Powerball ticket," said study lead author Andrew Gelman, a professor of statistics and political science at Columbia University.”
“In New Mexico, the odds are 1 in 6.1 million of a voter casting the ultimate deciding vote.

I found the same article on a site everyone can access… The full article can be read here…

As far as going into politics I think it takes a strange bird that wants to eat that worm… Like another poster said previously if you had enough money or the right connections then your past would matter little… So go cast your vote to allow the electoral voters of your state to vote… You know it is the electoral votes that really count… So please do not get on a soapbox preaching like your vote is really doing anything different or making you a better citizen than one who chooses to not vote…

I think I would get more out of playing powerball…

~T~

#13821 - 11/03/08 09:45 PM Re: Voting [Re: ta2zz]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
Exactly. However, a vote does still count for something and can make an impact. Entire buildings are populated with workers whose job it is to study the election results. They pour over the data to try to assess why the election went the way it did. They combine that data with the results of election polling feedback and feedback after the debates. This is how candidates and parties form the platform they will run on. They tweak it here, drop this, add that, buy a new wardrobe. Did the Democratic message make a difference in a long running Republican territory? If it did, then they want to keep that new found base and build it. So in some respect your vote does make a difference. In the big picture, absolutely not. At the local level, where most of the action happens anyway, absolutely. I think the biggest message America could send is to stay away from the polls tomorrow. If only a handful of folks made it to the polls, that would send an electric shock through Washington. That's why I will be sending my message of voter apathy by electing to play poker and drink buckets of happy hour beer tomorrow night.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, TV is God, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 8.153 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 20 queries. Zlib compression disabled.