Page 4 of 4 <1234
Topic Options
#55290 - 05/31/11 06:37 PM Re: The Internet Pirate [Re: TV is God]
Pizgatti Offline
stranger

Is this considered "Taking what isn't yours"? I think so...hmmm I don't know though. Someone please tell me why it wouldn't fall into this "sin"?
#55291 - 05/31/11 06:42 PM Re: The Internet Pirate [Re: Pizgatti]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

The Satanic Bible is not the word of god and the sins mentioned there can be agreed with or not. In the end, we do define ourselves what we consider a "sin" or not.

D.

#55293 - 05/31/11 07:25 PM Re: The Internet Pirate [Re: Pizgatti]
TV is God Moderator Offline

Loc: The Cornhole
 Originally Posted By: Pizgatti
Is this considered "Taking what isn't yours"? I think so...hmmm I don't know though. Someone please tell me why it wouldn't fall into this "sin"?
In addition to Diavolo's point you assert that making a copy of something infinitely copied without ridding anyone of anything is a form of "taking" something. I don't think it's presumptions to assume the law was saying to not rid people of things. No one loses anything with piracy. They only lose potential money that only exists if you were willing to pay for it if piracy was not an option.
I wonder how many musicians make their profit in merchandise and live shows because of the publicity they've received for their unintentionally free music?

#55315 - 06/01/11 05:59 AM Re: The Internet Pirate [Re: TV is God]
TV is God Moderator Offline

Loc: The Cornhole
Just wanted to add this because it's a great pro-piracy story.

This censored cover is for an amazing new "children's book for adults" entitled Go the Fuck to Sleep. This book jumped to the NUMBER ONE slot on amazon. The fun part? It hasn't been published yet. Thanks to the popularity of the leaked pdf file of this book it has jumped to number one in pre-orders alone. Shows how much piracy hurts the creative.

Also I'm not denying part of the reason is that this is the BEST IDEA EVER.

#55324 - 06/01/11 10:10 AM Re: The Internet Pirate [Re: TV is God]
Pizgatti Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: TV is God
 Originally Posted By: Pizgatti
In addition to Diavolo's point you assert that making a copy of something infinitely copied without ridding anyone of anything is a form of "taking" something. I don't think it's presumptions to assume the law was saying to not rid people of things. No one loses anything with piracy. They only lose potential money that only exists if you were willing to pay for it if piracy was not an option.
I wonder how many musicians make their profit in merchandise and live shows because of the publicity they've received for their unintentionally free music?

Interesting. I think I was just on the wrong train of thought, and the tracks led into a brick wall. My mistake.

Also, I think I'll get that book for my nine month old.

#55689 - 06/11/11 04:31 AM Re: The Internet Pirate [Re: Pizgatti]
TheInsane Offline

I love music and I download music. For me it is a quality check though as I also buy everything I like. For me the feeling of having an actual physical record in my hands and flipping through the booklet reading the linear notes and lyrics is just great fun.

With movies however I tend to only download and watch and not buy regardless of the quality of the movie. But then again Im not hugely into movies anyway. I also seem to have an attitude that the format on which I buy the movie will soon be outdated anyway making a collection worthless in the future (the same can be said for CD's of course but with them I dont care).

#70517 - 08/25/12 02:57 PM Re: The Internet Pirate [Re: TheInsane]
Le Deluge Offline

Like Morgan, I also have friends in the music and publishing industries. It is not to their benefit to have their intellectual property downloaded without permission or compensation. I won't do it. Having said that, I fully realize the train has left the station on this issue. People will download anything that is uploaded (sometimes not even knowing they are "pirating") As such, I don't bother with moral or ethical arguments. I just don't do it personally.

#76678 - 05/27/13 02:22 PM Re: The Internet Pirate [Re: SODOMIZER]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Loc: Virginia
 Originally Posted By: SODOMIZER
A quick note here: not all torrents are illegal.

I've found a ton of public domain texts online

Torrents are a great way to find obscure public domain information. I've found a lot of old recordings of old folk music I was looking for that way.

When I was a member of Demonoid, I typically looked for public domain content packed into torrents. After a while though, the program was giving my computer some troubles, so I removed it.

I suppose there's mixed feelings about Piritism. If I want to support an artist, the best way I can think to do that is to commission a piece of artwork, or purchase some of their mixed media material.

I remember back in the early days when I stumbled across Steven Leyba, right off I bought one of his art books, and CD's of the spoken word. That led me to commission some artwork, and we maintain an association to this day. He's even stayed at my home when we collaborated on a project and hung-out.

One of the more argumentative discussions we've had has been about Piritism. For example, an artist might consider a Pirate a detestable creature but at closer examination you find that same artist pirating. If he/she decides what is and isn't art, it somehow makes them less disingenuous about it.

In terms of music as one example, claiming that the Commercial Empire has that Artist by the balls and shouldn't be supported is among the debated topics. Sure, everyone gets a cut, but pirating leaves less of it to the Artist that originated the 'art'. On one hand people may/may not care about the Artist, if the Artist isn't the 'art' in question. If the art stands on its own, then what's being sold for profit? The marketing? The carrier? Do you follow? On the other, some feel as if the Artist is the art, you are basically stealing a piece of that person, and you should pay for it. It all becomes rather circular, how valuable is your expressionism?

In terms of maintaining your art form as a form of Employment, some of it boils down to Copyright Law, and that can get rather convoluted. I watched Copyright used as part of a psychological warfare battle between two parties, and both were broke and on welfare, so I'm sure you can figure out relatively quickly how that panned out in the end.

I use music for background noise in some of my videos on youtube, some of them get flagged for Copyright violations; however the way around that is you let youtube add a link to the artists music and its all good.

Most Newsreports have a Copyright claim published at the bottom of the article, and with Social Media it's damn near impossible to run after every person that violates it. There's Fair Use and Creative Commons, so there's always a loophole.

Page 4 of 4 <1234

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.022 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 21 queries. Zlib compression disabled.