Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>
Topic Options
#15372 - 12/02/08 11:56 PM Re: Racism [Re: coelentrate]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

"Everyones a little racist."

Speak for yourself. I judge people by their actions and the measure of their character, not by the color of their skin. I have had friends and enemies of every race. The reason I liked or disliked them had nothing to do with what race/religion/sexual preference they were.

#15384 - 12/03/08 06:33 AM Re: Racism [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
coelentrate Offline

Loc: Dundee, Scotland
Sure, you're like a lot of people with a little intelligence or at least education, and your brain wins when making a judgement.

On a first impression basis, people like people that are similar.

#15400 - 12/03/08 12:54 PM Re: Racism [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: 6Satan6Archist6
"Everyones a little racist."

Speak for yourself. I judge people by their actions and the measure of their character, not by the color of their skin. I have had friends and enemies of every race. The reason I liked or disliked them had nothing to do with what race/religion/sexual preference they were.

That part made me laugh quite hard you know.
It is true, everyone is a bit racist deep within. I'm not saying you are judging the whole time on skin/religion or sexual preferences. But I'm quite sure you had some moments within your life when you were thinking "What a stupid asian/black/indian/white trash/hispanic/... that guy/girl is". This also is a form of racism. Or even I find it's hard to believe you never made or laughed with a little racist joke.

#15403 - 12/03/08 01:21 PM Re: Racism [Re: Dimitri]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

"But I'm quite sure you had some moments within your life when you were thinking "What a stupid asian/black/indian/white trash/hispanic/... that guy/girl is"."

Nope. There are stupid people. Period.

"Or even I find it's hard to believe you never made or laughed with a little racist joke."

Of course I have. Who hasn't? A joke is exactly that though. Racism (in a nutshell) means hating someone and feeling that they are inferior because of their race. I laugh and make all sorts of jokes. Using that thought process; anyone who makes or laughs at dead baby jokes is a baby murderer. You have no idea who I am, or what I believe. As such you would do well to not make assumptions.

"Sure, you're like a lot of people with a little intelligence or at least education, and your brain wins when making a judgement."

I don't even know what the hell you are trying to say there.

"On a first impression basis, people like people that are similar."

There are a lot of ways to be similar. I am heterosexual, so are a lot of other people. That doesn't mean I am automatically going to like someone I have just met because we share a sexual preference. I have tattoos, so do a lot of other people. That doesn't mean I am automatically like someone I have just met because we both have tattoos. In fact, I have a genuine dislike for most people until they give me a reason to feel otherwise.

#15411 - 12/03/08 02:49 PM Re: Racism [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Yes, there are stupid people.
And no, I refuse to believe you never had 1 slight racistic experience/feeling in you life. Btw, you are using a shortened modified version of racism. Racism is not "hate based on someone outherskin colour or his etnic identity.".
The real definition actually is: "judging on someone's etnic identity and/or skin". Using the real definition the perspective changes a lot and racism in reality becomes much larger then you may think.

#15428 - 12/03/08 05:34 PM Re: Racism [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
You never moved to the other side of the street when a group of urban youths were coming towards you from the other direction? Never got a skip in your heartbeat when a black man in a skull cap and droopy drawers got on the elevator with you? Avoided the "bad" section of town after dark? Rolled up your windows and locked the doors when stopped at an intersection where a group of 20 hispanics teens with red bandanas were standing on the street corner? Never thought the swarthy skinned suspect on your local news might actually be innocent?

#15434 - 12/03/08 06:07 PM Re: Racism [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
coelentrate Offline

Originally Posted By: 6Satan6Archist6

I don't even know what the hell you are trying to say there.

Well, when given a choice, you're generally going to prefer people that are more similar to you on first impression. I don't think I can put it more plainly.

Do you have a point to make that wasn't addressed?

Edited by coelentrate (12/03/08 06:13 PM)

#15439 - 12/03/08 07:38 PM Re: Racism [Re: fakepropht]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

"You never moved to the other side of the street when a group of urban youths were coming towards you from the other direction? Never got a skip in your heartbeat when a black man in a skull cap and droopy drawers got on the elevator with you? Avoided the "bad" section of town after dark? Rolled up your windows and locked the doors when stopped at an intersection where a group of 20 hispanics teens with red bandanas were standing on the street corner?"

No, I have never done any of those things.

"Well, when given a choice, you're generally going to prefer people that are more similar to you on first impression. I don't think I can put it more plainly"

Had you actually read what I wrote you would have seen that I adressed that belief already.

#15457 - 12/04/08 12:55 AM Re: Racism [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
Right, because Oregon is such a diverse state. I grew up in that area. When I was in high school we had exactly 0 black students and 1 hispanic. By means of an exchange program. According to the latest US Census, Oregon ranks 43rd in the nation for diversity. 87% of the population is white. 1.7% of the population is black. 3.5% is some other race. Meanwhile the area I live in is a steaming melting pot. I live in what is called the DC Metro area. 55% of our population is black, my county ranks 3rd for latino population. We recently enacted some of the toughest legislation in the US to crack down on illegal aliens living here. So, how many non white persons do you interact with on a daily basis? Count them on one hand? Have you ever gone to a fast food restaurant, and had your order totally fucked up because no one working there speaks english? Ever had the pleasure of living in an apartment building sharing a dwelling with 20 adults that come and go at all hours of the day? Getting by on 2 hours of sleep from the constant noise. Do you have street signs printed in both English and Spanish? Ever stepped into a grocery store to do the shopping for the family and realized you can't understand half the products labeling? Step out of the bubble that is the Northwest and into someplace like DC, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, or Texas and tell me how much love you have for your fellow man.

#15458 - 12/04/08 01:12 AM Re: Racism [Re: fakepropht]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
dont forget new york too.....

hell, you can vote in at least 5 languages

M

#15463 - 12/04/08 03:07 AM Re: Racism [Re: fakepropht]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

“Right, because Oregon is such a diverse state.“

I never claimed to be from a diverse state.(Although I technically am) I was simply giving my opinion on the topic at hand.

“I grew up in that area. When I was in high school we had exactly 0 black students and 1 hispanic. By means of an exchange program.”

That is all well and good, but, if I remember correctly; you are in your 40’s. Times have changed since you were in school in Oregon. During my school years here I have had interactions with several Hispanics and several black people. As well as several members of other races. The students brought to my schools via the exchange program were from places such as: Russia, Germany, China, Japan, The Czech Republic, Puerto Rico and Kenya. Even right now at the community college I go to I encounter people of a different race, every day.

I had interactions with members of a different race before that as well. I was born in Oakland, California. I lived all over California, but my last place of residence before moving to Oregon was Fresno. Over the last few years I have lived in Las Vegas, Glendale, Hollywood, Venice Beach, and San Francisco. If you have been to, or know anything about the places I mentioned; you would know they are all also a “steaming melting pot.”

“According to the latest US Census, Oregon ranks 43rd in the nation for diversity. 87% of the population is white. 1.7% of the population is black. 3.5% is some other race. Meanwhile the area I live in is a steaming melting pot. I live in what is called the DC Metro area. 55% of our population is black, my county ranks 3rd for latino population.”

I really don’t care about those statistics. I am sure they are true, but that does nothing to alter my own personal experiences/beliefs.

“We recently enacted some of the toughest legislation in the US to crack down on illegal aliens living here.”

There was also some tough legislation enacted designed to crack down on illegal aliens and their employment passed in the town I live in just recently. http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/story.php?story_id=122650525520008200

“So, how many non white persons do you interact with on a daily basis? Count them on one hand?”

As I have already stated: I interact with several non white persons on daily basis. I deal with so many it would be impossible to count them on one hand. Unless I spontaneously grew several more fingers on one of my hands.

“ Have you ever gone to a fast food restaurant, and had your order totally fucked up because no one working there speaks english?”

Yes I have. There is a place here in Saint Helens called Muchos Gracias. It is a Mexican fast food restaurant owned and operated by Mexicans. They have messed my order a few times, but not enough to make me hate all Mexicans. When I lived in Glendale and Hollywood I worked for a Jack in the Box. I was the only white person that worked there. I saw quite a few orders get messed up by the Mexicans that work there, but that wasn’t enough to make me hate all Mexicans either.

“Ever had the pleasure of living in an apartment building sharing a dwelling with 20 adults that come and go at all hours of the day? Getting by on 2 hours of sleep from the constant noise.”

I have lived in an apartment building with well over 20 adults that come and go all hours of the day. I was one of those people. If when you say: “sharing a dwelling with 20 adults” you mean that you and 20 other people shared one apartment; then no I haven’t.

“ Do you have street signs printed in both English and Spanish? Ever stepped into a grocery store to do the shopping for the family and realized you can't understand half the products labeling?”

Where I currently live, no I don’t. As I have already stated above, I have lived in places where such things were a factor. None of those caused me to be racist.

“Step out of the bubble that is the Northwest and into someplace like DC, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, or Texas and tell me how much love you have for your fellow man.”

I have already stated above I have stepped “out of the bubble that is the Northwest”. I have not been to any of the states/districts that you mentioned. However, I am not as un-experienced as you like to pretend I am. Nor do I ever pretend to “love” my fellow man. As I stated a few posts ago: I generally dislike all people until they give me reason not to. Their race/sexual preference/ religion etc. is not even a factor.

#15467 - 12/04/08 05:32 AM Re: Racism [Re: fakepropht]
Picunnus Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
I can side with you on this because I've lived on both sides of this coin. I grew up in a small town in the Great Plains - we had very few black people. When I moved to Detroit at 17, my initial reaction was "There're black people living on my street - I must be in the bad part of town!" Ha! A few years later, I was living in St. Louis, waaaay down in THE ghetto. I was the ONLY white person I ever saw outside my household. When I bought shampoo, I had to clean an inch of dust off the bottle because no one ever bought white people shampoo in that neighborhood.
Later I moved to Houston. White people are a minority there. Now I'm in a very tiny town in Ohio, where if you see a black person at the store you wonder if they're visiting from Dayton. Moving around changes your outlook. In my opinion, you can't understand the difference in attitude toward race between those who live in a diverse area and those who don't if you've never experienced both.

#15474 - 12/04/08 08:13 AM Re: Racism [Re: Picunnus]
Jake999 Offline

Originally Posted By: Picunnus
A few years later, I was living in St. Louis, waaaay down in THE ghetto. I was the ONLY white person I ever saw outside my household.

Yep. I know of what you speak! I'm from E.ST LOUIS, IL. St. Louis was where we hoped to someday "move up to" is we were ever that fortunate!

#15475 - 12/04/08 08:16 AM Re: Racism [Re: Jake999]
Picunnus Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Yes, I know all about E. St. Louis. As bad as my neighborhood was, no one I knew wanted to go across the river - unless for crack, but why do that when you can get it on any street corner in your own 'hood?

Crack. Sheesh.

#15489 - 12/04/08 05:30 PM Re: Racism [Re: Picunnus]
coelentrate Offline

I moved from St. Louis a year ago. I'd lived there 6 years. I lived in the nicest part, but stray anywhere outside of this tiny region...what a shithole. I wish I knew what could be done about it.
Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.028 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.